On second thought...

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Fuck MTV's My Block - Oakland episode for one singular idiotic, irresponsible thing that it did, which was explicitly explain what "ghostride the whip" means.They acted like chickenshits when it came to explaining "thizz" by trying to twist it into some sort of alternate meaning. But they actually went into instructional detail on how to "ghostride the whip"...as if it wasn't apparent enough by what it's called. Not only does it give the impressionable a dangerously bad idea, but it also pigeonholes the image of hyphy as strictly reprehensible. In other words, MTV has already created a backlash against hyphy in the name of promoting it. I don't care if Sway and Jazzbo were born on the Bay Bridge, they acted as carpetbaggeurs of the worst, the-game-is-not-to-be-told variety with that one. It's almost guaranteed now that OPD is now going to up their efforts to crack down on sideshow activity in the Town.Shit, why doesn't MTV do My Block - Beirut next and explain to everyone how to conceal strap-on explosives?And yes, I'm mad, doggie.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I don't care if Sway and Jazzbo were born on the Bay Bridge, they acted as carpetbaggeurs of the worst, the-game-is-not-to-be-told variety with that one.

Weren't they acting more as carbetbaggeurs of the-game-is[/b]-to-be told variety with that one?

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    What is this "MTV" you speak of?

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Goddamit I still haven't seen this schitt. Why no mtv 1 love? Is it on youtube yet?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    for a second I thought this thread might be archaic renouncing his anti-semetic beliefs that the jews aided Hitler with the holocaust.

as you were

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    So on one hand, it's bad because it "gives the impressionable a dangerously bad idea," but on the other hand, it's bad because it might cause cops to crack down on sideshows (as though they weren't already doing so)?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    for a second I thought this thread might be archaic renouncing his anti-semetic beliefs that the jews aided Hitler with the holocaust.

I've already asked you once, politely even, to stop parroting your misleading take on my words.

Africans aided the African slave trade. There I said that too, and you're not going to see any Africans or African-Amricans labeling me as anti-African for doing so.

You got problems, dude, and I don't want any part of them. So do us both a favor and steer clear of me.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I mean what did you all expect to happen when the Bay got big? All the slang is going to come out and become mainstream. Everyone wanted the bay to blow up and now it is, but you don't want the culture surrounding it to? Doesn't make sense.

So on one hand, it's bad because it "gives the impressionable a dangerously bad idea," but on the other hand, it's bad because it might cause cops to crack down on sideshows (as though they weren't already doing so)?

Welcome to the world of Archaic.

The tension seems to lied in Shied's inability to make up his mind as to whether or not ghostriding is a good thing.

In cracking down on sideshows even more than they already are, do you think that the wonderfully perfect police force is only going to harass people who are actually engaging in illegal activity?

This only opens up the door to even more driving-while-black incidents.

I mean what did you all expect to happen when the Bay got big? All the slang is going to come out and become mainstream. Everyone wanted the bay to blow up and now it is, but you don't want the culture surrounding it to? Doesn't make sense.

There's no need to explicitly describe the shit like that...especially coming from people who supposedly have the scene's best interest at heart. It's not like MTV taught everyone how to cook up crack once gangsta rap first starting getting big. So why do that same sort of shit now? And why are Sway and Jazzbo the ones to be doing it?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    cook up crack
    =
    ghost ride the whip
    ?

The tension seems to lied in Shied's inability to make up his mind as to whether or not ghostriding is a good thing.

Go back to correcting my grammer, little dude. Obviously this discussion contains too many interrelated and sometimes conflicting variables for you.

Go back to correcting my grammer, little dude. Obviously this discussion contains too many interrelated and sometimes conflicting variables for you.

Alright: "grammer" is actually spelled with two "A"s

• Go back to correcting my grammer, little dude. Obviously this discussion contains too many interrelated and sometimes conflicting variables for you.

Alright: "grammer" is actually spelled with two "A"s

He was referring to his mother's mother, Little Dude.

But leave his gramper out of this.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

In cracking down on sideshows even more than they already are, do you think that the wonderfully perfect police force is only going to harass people who are actually engaging in illegal activity?

One of the ironies in this is that the sideshow footage that My Block obtained happened from an impromptu show that broke out during the Too Short segment and Oakland Police actually closed off the block for them to help out. They thought they were filming a video.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Can you point to anywhere--not just in this post or in this thread, but anywhere on these forums--that I've expressed anything even approaching the shores of feeling that cops are "wonderfully perfect?" I'll help you out: No, you can't.

So, that attempted semantic dodge aside, what of it? In one sentence, you engage in moralistic "won't somebody please think of the children!" hand-wringing over the fact that MTV actually deciphered rap slang (and this doesn't even address the thorny issue of "why is it not bad for rappers to say it but bad for MTV to correctly define it?"--but please don't mistake my raising of this point as an invitation to debate it). A few sentences later, you're all up in arms that the very same activity you bemoaned being defined to children might be cracked down upon. It seems as though you're pissed off, but you don't really know what it is you're pissed off about.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'm just kinda sad that they didn't have the Federation, Rick Rock, or Messy Marv in that shit.

• Goddamm, Harvey, you done it again!

I mean, you know your stuff, so like, keep posting and all,
    but every time your right hand clicks the mouse on that [POST] button,
    you just end up bent over, exposing your gaping butthole, while
    your left hand is handing out wiffle bats and bottles of hot sauce.

What the hell you think is gonna happen?

You must like it!

I'm just kinda sad that they didn't have the Federation, Rick Rock, or Messy Marv in that shit.

I hear you but the show already felt like there were too many folks to follow already. Maybe "My Block" needs to be an hour but it opens the question of whether viewers would stay with it for that long.

I also don't get what the beef here is about per se.

I hear you but the show already felt like there were too many folks to follow already. Maybe "My Block" needs to be an hour but it opens the question of whether viewers would stay with it for that long.

Carpetbaggeuing and telling, rather than selling, the game.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

It sounds like the dude is mad they exposed his own personal "subculture" on MTV.

Can you point to anywhere--not just in this post or in this thread, but anywhere on these forums--that I've expressed anything even approaching the shores of feeling that cops are "wonderfully perfect?" I'll help you out: No, you can't.

So, that attempted semantic dodge aside, what of it? In one sentence, you engage in moralistic "won't somebody please think of the children!" hand-wringing over the fact that MTV actually deciphered rap slang (and this doesn't even address the thorny issue of "why is it not bad for rappers to say it but bad for MTV to correctly define it?"--but please don't mistake my raising of this point as an invitation to debate it). A few sentences later, you're all up in arms that the very same activity you bemoaned being defined to children might be cracked down upon. It seems as though you're pissed off, but you don't really know what it is you're pissed off about.

E-40 rapping "ghostride the whip" in a song is like Juvenile rapping "rock the Pyrex". It's one thing for those who listen to the music to decode such messages for themselves. It's a whole 'nother for MTV to give a 2nd grade teaching lesson on exactly how to do them.

And now it's as if MTV has called out OPD on some look-how-we've-embarrassed-you-by-showing-the-whole-world-what-goes-on-behind-your-backs. The cops are sure to overreact in light of it.

So thanks MTV, on 2 counts.

• Carpetbaggeuing and telling, rather than selling, the game.

Advertising time was certainly sold between bits of game being told,
    so the verdict is:

SOLD

As always, true game is untellable.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

It sounds like the dude is mad they exposed his own personal "subculture" on MTV.

E-40 rapping "ghostride the whip" in a song is like Juvenile rapping "rock the Pyrex". It's one thing for those who listen to the music to decode such messages for themselves. It's a whole 'nother for MTV to give a 2nd grade teaching lesson on exactly how to do them.

It was only my substantial decoding abilities that allowed me to figure out what Juve meant when he said that everybody need a check from FEMA, so he can go and score him some co-ca-ina...

And now it's as if MTV has called out OPD on some look-how-we've-embarrassed-you-by-showing-the-whole-world-what-goes-on-behind-your-backs. The cops are sure to overreact in light of it.

Uh, in one of the scenes, they show a stream of bikers rolling in FRONT of about half a dozen OPD, standing, watching. And the whole explanation of "ghost riding" took place in the Fillmore, not Oakland.

And maybe I missed this but there's wasn't a whole lot of focus on sideshow culture in the segment in any case. At most, Sway might have asked a question in passing but I do not remember a real discussion of sideshows except for brief, passing mention of "doors open" and "ghostriding the whip".

Of course not.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Africans aided the African slave trade. There I said that too, and you're not going to see any Africans or African-Amricans labeling me as anti-African for doing so.

Nahh just a wack statement...

Uh, in one of the scenes, they show a stream of bikers rolling in FRONT of about half a dozen OPD, standing, watching. And the whole explanation of "ghost riding" took place in the Fillmore, not Oakland.

And maybe I missed this but there's wasn't a whole lot of focus on sideshow culture in the segment in any case. At most, Sway might have asked a question in passing but I do not remember a real discussion of sideshows except for brief, passing mention of "doors open" and "ghostriding the whip".

Fine, SFPD...same friggin difference. And yeah, Sway explicitly explained how to ghostride a whip. Watch again.