Comped tracks - good thing or bad thing

2»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    it's cool when it's unknown but it also can hurt...it's actually good when a track is comped because it can help the value of the original...sometimes stuff is so obscure it's worthless. this is strictly from a re-sell perspective.

Market value is to good music as a fish is to a bicycle.

i agree, the music is the main thing but value is very important for many reasons, especially when you try to make a living buying and selling records.

I guess if you're a dealer, then the market-value concern would make sense. But this whole "beware of reissues!" thing just sounds pretentious from people who only buy for themselves. Not casting aspersions on anyone here, just saying.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i'm somewhere between being a dealer and a collector. i think i sold a record to you actually...a sealed disco exploitation record or something.

• Do any of you 're-sellers' every send any $$$ to the musicians in who's music you economically benefit from...?

..at least on some compilations the artists will be compensated.

just saying...

Cause i'm sure some of you dudes would also want people who sample to pay the artists...

I'm sure the musicisns made thier music to be heard by as many people as possible, not just for anally retentive obsessives like most of us here.

I prefer originals, but I actually prefer to HEAR the music, than to HAVE the music (in a particular format/issue).

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    i think i sold a record to you actually...a sealed disco[/b] exploitation record or something.

JP - say it ain't so.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i think i sold a record to you actually...a sealed disco[/b] exploitation record or something.

JP - say it ain't so.

It ain't so - an exploitation[/b] record sounds like me, but not disco, so I must not have ever met Crazy Pop Rock in person.

• You need to fry your ambition in the egg yellow and step out
    of the race, young man.

What a bunch of schitt.
    I'm sure you've got some kind of talents, something that endears
    you to your friends and relatives.

Yet you want to attach your ego to another artist's work.

You attach your ego, bad move.

You're bound to be let down.

The record in question: did you write any of the songs?
    Did you play an instrument? Engineer the recording?
    Arrange the piece?

No, you didn't do schitt.

Except pull from an old pile.

You pulled from a pile, that's all you did.

So, to review, what did you do, with regards to this record?

You didn't do schitt, so stop hand-wringing.

I'm sure you're strong, so build a house.

I'm sure you're smart, so write a book.

Stop attaching your ego to a non-existent race to a faggot finish.

I'm tired of hearing this kind of schitt.

If it weren't you, it'd be someone else, outside of maybe 3 or 4
    street-certified archaeologists, all of y'all discoverers are the
    damn same, and you need to do something more contstructive.

Fuck a Christopher Columbus, Fuck America.

There are two eggs in the pan, and one of them is on a compilation.

You are still hungry.

I HEREBY DUB THEE SOULSTRUT POST OF THE DECADE!!!

So sick of this particular breed of collector scum. That post was like a wonderful sorbet to cleanse the palate for the next course. Good show, old chap!

!sigh!

Hey man, that wasn't directed at you per se. You came on here askin, not knowing how to feel about it, There are sooooo many haters out there who put the record game above personal friendships, above a lot of other fundamental and more important things. I know some myself. Two in particular who shall remain nameless. No worries though.... carry on, then...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

You need to fry your ambition in the egg yellow and step out
    of the race, young man.

What a bunch of schitt.
    I'm sure you've got some kind of talents, something that endears
    you to your friends and relatives.

Yet you want to attach your ego to another artist's work.

You attach your ego, bad move.

You're bound to be let down.

The record in question: did you write any of the songs?
    Did you play an instrument? Engineer the recording?
    Arrange the piece?

No, you didn't do schitt.

Except pull from an old pile.

You pulled from a pile, that's all you did.

So, to review, what did you do, with regards to this record?

You didn't do schitt, so stop hand-wringing.

I'm sure you're strong, so build a house.

I'm sure you're smart, so write a book.

Stop attaching your ego to a non-existent race to a faggot finish.

I'm tired of hearing this kind of schitt.

If it weren't you, it'd be someone else, outside of maybe 3 or 4
    street-certified archaeologists, all of y'all discoverers are the
    damn same, and you need to do something more contstructive.

Fuck a Christopher Columbus, Fuck America.

There are two eggs in the pan, and one of them is on a compilation.

You are still hungry.

I HEREBY DUB THEE SOULSTRUT POST OF THE DECADE!!!

So sick of this particular breed of collector scum. That post was like a wonderful sorbet to cleanse the palate for the next course. Good show, old chap!

!sigh!

Hey man, that wasn't directed at you per se. You came on here askin, not knowing how to feel about it, There are sooooo many haters out there who put the record game above personal friendships, above a lot of other fundamental and more important things. I know some myself. Two in particular who shall remain nameless. No worries though.... carry on, then...

i know.
    still, he should have saved his soulstrut post of the dacade for some other thread. that "schitt" he worte was not appreciated (at least) as I was trying to ask a question to others. he should have opened his own thread. but opening threads is a risky business these days. touchy.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    a non-existent race to a faggot finish.

• I will NEVER- EVER find ANY EDDIE BO 45s in Holland in the hunt.It just would not happens ever.But I love EddieBO,so for me comps work.
    Also things like Dusty Fingers where if you actually like that style[library/axelrod/
    who could possibly hunt down and afford all of those production library lps?
    -especially the last 6 or 7 they release,he has gotten "rarerer" in his track selecton

• I will NEVER- EVER find ANY EDDIE BO 45s in Holland in the hunt.

Dan doe je niet hard genoeg je best

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

• let me put this straight: what do you think when you find out that one of the tracks you considered rare (or just unknown [not totally unknown, cause you're never the only one]) is actually well known amongst the so called digging society?

I'd say that if the track is well known in the "digging society", but you consider it rare and/or unknown, you're underinformed. Its certainly not grounds to get all upset because the track is on a compililation imo. People have been doing this record thing for decades, so most records are "known", if only by a few people.

is this a retarded question?

No, a weird one.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    should i start to write a book? i almost did that once.

what was the preliminary title? "Diggin'...what does it all mean?"

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    this thread is corny

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

• I'd say that if the track is well known in the "digging society", but you consider it rare and/or unknown, you're underinformed. Its certainly not grounds to get all upset because the track is on a compililation imo. People have been doing this record thing for decades, so most records are "known", if only by a few people.

ignorant bitch!

i never got upset. i was tyring to ask you a question. but you imply that i'm a stupid "underinformed" upset digger.. what's up with that?!

i just said that i somehow felt that i was disappointed. a little that is. it's like people posting pictures of their secret squirrels and other come up and say: "got that one and used it for one of my productions"

forget about it! geeeeeeeeez!

People have been doing this record thing for decades, so most records are "known", if only by a few people.

someone posted that before. WTF? who do you think i am? a retarded monkey? get out of here!

Dude,

ive got no problems w/ you - only with the content of this post. You wanting to talk about this = starting a post about the wetness of water. The whole secret / comp / squirrel BS is inherent[/b] to record collecting. It doesnt make an interesting topic and comes across as a little immature.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    no! i intended to write an instructional book for you. rying to tell you all about secret german records.

Why didn't you do it? Dammn, now I can only find my klaus wunderlich, cause thats all i know...btw, after all these posts, i get the impression that

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    no! i intended to write an instructional book for you. rying to tell you all about secret german records.

Why didn't you do it? Dammn, now I can only find my klaus wunderlich, cause thats all i know...btw, after all these posts, i get the impression that

whatever man. whatever.