When was the last time... (RR)

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I'm stretching for a topic here, but I've got to try...The last time you were "out in the field" and someone asked you if you were actually going to buy the records in your stack, what was the record(s)? Have you ever asked someone else about their pile of records, or do you just jack that toy in the parking lot? A couple days ago at my local shop, a gentleman saw a 12-inch of "Bounce, Skate" that I had and he asked me if I was going to buy it.I've never asked people about records, and I try to give people space, but sometimes you can't help but see what's in someone's pile. If I spot someone with a record I want, I definitely wait to see if they take it to the counter. One time at Aron's, about four years ago, I saw a guy with a Los Angeles Negroes LP I wanted. I mentioned the incident, and it turns out he posts here (can't remember who though)! And he bought the record, naturally.Any interesting stories?

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Never really been asked by a costumer, but at this one antique mall I frequent, the owner always comes and hangs out with me and asks me what I got and what I'm picking. And we'll listen to stuff on the portable, and then he'll try to recommend me some other stuff that he "remembers from his childhood". I really enjoy everytime he comes by and he knows when to leave (i.e. when I'm in the zone or conversation drops).

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Year and a half ago - went through a couple thousand 45s at a show & pulled some nice pieces, and a great cheapie - Stretch's "Why Did You Do It?". When I spun it on my portable, I had a guy come over and tell me he'd been looking for that & am I gonna buy it.....

A few tables over he asked me again if I willing to sell it, and asked if I was a dealer or a collector, etc..... I wasn't budging.

Funnily, enough, I got a demo vinyl copy a few months later, so if dude is on this board and still needs a copy, PM me.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Year and a half ago - went through a couple thousand 45s at a show & pulled some nice pieces, and a great cheapie - Stretch's "Why Did You Do It?". When I spun it on my portable, I had a guy come over and tell me he'd been looking for that & am I gonna buy it.....

A few tables over he asked me again if I willing to sell it, and asked if I was a dealer or a collector, etc..... I wasn't budging.

Funnily, enough, I got a demo vinyl copy a few months later, so if dude is on this board and still needs a copy, PM me.

This throws the entire set of theories from the "karma" thread
    out the window ... you are only supposed to find the second copy
    because you gave the first one away, not if you kept it ...

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    i was in a store last week demoing some 45's when i put on alvin cash's "keep on dancing." after hearing it come over the store's speakers, some dude quickly approached me asking if i planned to buy said 45; i said yes. after negotiating prices with a store employee, dude approaced again asking if there was anything i wasn't gonna buy bc it was too expensive. i said no, but left a couple 45's sitting on top of the lp racks without thinking - stuff i didn't really want or need. after briefly leaving the store to hit up an atm, i returned to find the 45's that i had left out and wasn't going to purchase gone, supposedly picked up by dude in question.

• At a recordstore in gothenburg, they collect all the records they buy in and then release it at the last friday of the month (when people just got their wages). I went to a jazz-release and it was really crowdy. Managed to pick up some nice records but I was dissapointed. So then I became the approacher (that I usually hate). While two kids (who are ignorant as fuck by the way) look through their records, I friendly asked them what they had found. As I told them that I wouldn't mind looking at the records they're not interested in they got really stressed and threw me 20-30 records. Not everone was good but I found some really nice shit there that I've been listeng to alot since.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    If you ask nicely, people can do things for you. A friend of mine witnessed me do this and he was just like "you just WALK UP AND ASK THEM?" uh, yeah. If I had something non-essential I'd let it go... yao??

weldon irvine "cosmic vortex" for 3 dollah
    george benson "erotic moods"
    harlem river drive
    etc.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    People ask me for records in my stack all the time. And if it's something common like BS&R, I usually give it to them.

The other day I was in Goodwill and I actually saw this dude buying up stacks of Andy Williams and Montavanti records. That really shook my world up.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I tried to pass off the Rance Allen LP that was produced by
    the Mizzell Bros to these dudes that were getting all amped over
    Billy Preston records at a local spot. I forget which, but some LP
    they were loudly agreeing was "awesome" made me think they might
    appreciate the Rance - dude brought it up to the counter but they wouldn't
    play it for him, and he brought it back and handed it to me saying he
    wasn't going to drop $8 on a record without hearing it. I bought it and sold it.

I've tried to tell dudes about good 45's on the infamous "Cheapo's Wall"
    when I saw how frustrated they were getting with the whole process, although
    that's getting harder & harder to do as the stuff I know thins out.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i was at a record swap in the side room at a bbq spot in oakland about 4 years ago.
    i saw some guy grab david peel and the les 'have a marijuana'
    its a novelty record, but i really wanted it. i told him. he graciously gave it up.
    i trust the record karma will come around.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It definitely did for me.

Once I saw some hippie guy with a load of LP's at a convention. One of them was the s/t Black Pearl album on Atlantic. It looked like he was playing "elimination," so I politely asked if he was going to score the Black Pearl elpee. He replied that he was definitely considering it, so I left him alone.

But the record karma worked out in the end - I found the same LP for something like $5.99 a week later at a used shop. I know this album has never been hellaciously rare, but it's not supercommon, either, so it was good to see it when I did.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i have told this story before but i figure it is cool enough to tell again.

stopped at a local shop. owner told me a hip hop collection just came in. had a stack of about 100 hip hop 12"s that i was looking for. noticed a dressed down dude looking like he just rolled out the house in his pajamas with a stack of his own.

since i scored so big i was like "damn his stack is small but he might of gotten some heat" so i asked him "dude is it ok if i peep what you got?"

he smiled and was like "yea man.."

a few Davy DMX records later and i hit an LL "Around the Way Girl". i was like "man this was my fav record growing up"

he says "hard to believe i made the beat and i dont own one"

he then introduced himself as Marley Marl and got in his early 90's BMW and sped off

ummmm yea

Once I saw some hippie guy with a load of LP's at a convention. One of them was the s/t Black Pearl album on Atlantic. It looked like he was playing "elimination," so I politely asked if he was going to score the Black Pearl elpee. He replied that he was definitely considering it, so I left him alone.

But the record karma worked out in the end - I found the same LP for something like $5.99 a week later at a used shop. I know this album has never been hellaciously rare, but it's not supercommon, either, so it was good to see it when I did.

actually found this at a spot i go to last week for $12...

it is an awesome record and def worth a few bucks

i dont see them too often anyway. actually thats a lie. i have never seen it out in the field.

actually found this at a spot i go to last week for $12...

it is an awesome record and def worth a few bucks

i dont see them too often anyway. actually thats a lie. i have never seen it out in the field.

Oh, something I forgot to mention - the incident I described took place in 1991, so for all I know it may have gotten rarer since then. But that second Black Pearl album on Prophesy has definitely vanished off the face of the earth...I've heard it wasn't very good anyway (recorded live, with a lot of extended jams).

its funny you say that

i found the one on Atlantic but i actually own the one on Prophescy....

didnt know it was that rare...sought after etc. even if it is

i honestly dont like it

which one don't you like, the atlantic lp or the prophesy?

i dont know if theyre sought after, but i know i havent seen the prophesy album in a scary long time. the atlantic joint is more likely to turn up

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I AM STILL LOOKING FOR GEORGE BENSON "EROTIC MOODS" UNDER THE GEORGE BENSON SECTION.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I've mentioned it before, but when Jelly's was at 404 Pi'ikoi across from Ala Moana Shopping Center, I was looking around in the 12" section, had a Poison Idea shirt, and my hair was long and beard was who-knows-what-it-was goatee half something or other. But two guys were looking around the other way, and I hear them whispering, and one of them goes "oh shit, that's Pig Champion."

I always had respect for Pig and Poison Idea, so in a quick moment I was thinking "where, he's here?" until I looked up and realize those guys were looking at me.

Other than that, I generally stay away from any record buying issues, so stuff like that has never come up. There was someone at the Seattle Record Convention a few years ago (the year they blew up the Kingdome) who would constantly hog the section he was looking at, as if I was peeking at his pile. I could care less what he had, I just wanted some room to browse through. No surprise, the kila mea wifa was "dead waffle".

i dont know if theyre sought after, but i know i havent seen the prophesy album in a scary long time. the atlantic joint is more likely to turn up

love the Atlantic one. dont like the one u never see....the live one...

never seen either more than once

the live one looked MAD shady...there was something like five songs on it, there were so many photos of the lead singer you'd think HIS name was "black pearl," and i think they'd already broken up by the time it was released. then i tracked down an old ish of Rolling Stone from 1970 where Lester Bangs gave it a bad review and bascially confirmed my suspicions, that it was a li'l too wanky. thats why i never bought it when it was circulating, although if i saw it for 99 cents tomorrow id probably buy it for shits & giggles

I AM STILL LOOKING FOR GEORGE BENSON "EROTIC MOODS" UNDER THE GEORGE BENSON SECTION.

I AM STILL LOOKING FOR THE (LAST) THREAD WHERE WE DISCUSSED IT

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

I AM STILL LOOKING FOR THE (LAST) THREAD WHERE WE DISCUSSED IT

I think the elusive nature of erotica-related is appropriate.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

the live one looked MAD shady...there was something like five songs on it, there were so many photos of the lead singer you'd think HIS name was "black pearl," and i think they'd already broken up by the time it was released. then i tracked down an old ish of Rolling Stone from 1970 where Lester Bangs gave it a bad review and bascially confirmed my suspicions, that it was a li'l too wanky. thats why i never bought it when it was circulating, although if i saw it for 99 cents tomorrow id probably buy it for shits & giggles

I don't remember the S/T being all that great? I had it years ago and got rid of it. I still haven't seen the live LP around. That's the one with the braek

I don't remember the S/T being all that great?

For late sixties hard rock, sounds great to me. I ain't guessin'.

I still haven't seen the live LP around. That's the one with the braek

As
    If
    I
    Cared

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    haha I thought you'd like that one.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    About a year ago , I was a a local record store(which had received tons of new records) and I started picking up a bunch of good funk & jazz records that were going for cheap and the guy just next to me seemed kind of surprised to see those being picked up in front of him. So once I got my hands on a big stack of records he asks to check them out and asks me about one of them but I tell him I'm keeping it. After seeing each other at the same record spots over & over we ended up becoming friends. So I don't know how I'll be affected by hat record Karma but I got to pick up those dope records.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    at a record fair about oh, 5 years ago now, me and a friend sneaked in the back door past security like on some kentucky fried movie shit, while dealers were loading in.. we wandered around for maybe 2 hours, spent all my cash, got snapped by security and asked to leave just as I was about to leave anyway, walked out the fire door holding a pile of records to see this assembled crowd of people waiting to get in glaring at me.. saw a mate, walked over to say hello just as the doors opened up and everyone started piling in. So me and said friend walked back to our car, about a kilometre away, get to my car and some dude had fully followed me the whole way thinking I was a dealer, wanting to buy one of the records under my arm.. I was like, what? nah dude, and then he sheepishly ran all the way back to the fair, having missed the narrow window of opportunity as the doors opened. fuck it made me laugh.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    was that a sly & the family stone record... i remember that dude... hahha...

Brisbane dudes arguing over some common's, ya'll need to go to Amoeba!

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    yeah fully, that's why i was laughing so hard