KRS loses his mind

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
This happened at a conference I was supposed to be at this past weekend but I was down in LA for a wedding instead. KRS-One was invited to speak at Stanford and ended up using his mic time to go after writer Adisa Banjoko (aka the Bishop of Hip Hop).The two of them used to be friends but had a falling out when Adisa criticized the whole "I Am Hip-Hop" approach KRS was taking. Since then KRS has considered Adisa to be "an enemy" and at Stanford, went after him as such.There isn't 100% audio yet but there are some pretty stunning tidbits.This is from the beginning:http://www.odeo.com/audio/834430/view"What I want to do is jump across the table and beat your fucking ass." and you can find three more segments here:http://www.prohiphop.com/2006/03/more_krsone_aud.htmlThe first guy speaking is Busy Bee. (I'm listening to the new clips so I'm not sure who else is speaking though)

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    That fool KRS has been crazy for years! This is not a suprise.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I saw him in concert about 2 months back and yup dude is out to lunch

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Yeah, it's much more important for panelists to demonstrate how important they are rather than actually discuss the topic at hand. KRS, either grow up or go see a psychiatrist.

Dude is the living embodiment of

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I demand the resurrection of that jpg with his eyes buggin out and schnipper peeking his head in the window

• peacefulrotation needs to weigh in here and tell us if dude was a KR(azy-as)S at his show on Saturday.

I do know for a fact that Adisa Banjoko studies military strategy a lot.

• psycho and not being able to make good new records, his live shows are still amazing. Basically an hour or two of non-stop hits, pretty impressive considering that he'll just do the chorus to some songs and keep it moving. Dude has that much stuff

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I do know for a fact that Adisa Banjoko studies military strategy a lot.

http://www.netweed.com/lyricalswords/

Holla at a Scholar!!
    Hip Hop, Politics, Islam,
    Chess and Martial Arts
    Official "Lyrical Swords" Blog by Adisa Banjoko aka "The Bishop"

FREE MP3: Lyrical Swords Westside Rebellion Mix
    by DJ Relm cutting up Adisa Banjoko's Speech at Harvard [/b] with Public Enemy's "Bring the Noise" plus Balance, the Bay Area Mixtape King

yet

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I saw KRS at the Buckshot show about 2 weeks ago. Off the hook.

I interviewed him over 2 years ago and he was definately on some other isht.

That panel sounded like a soulstrut hip hop/rap thread. classic!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i saw krs last year at the red devil lounge when i won tix off of college radio. his whole set was a medley of the hits. i waited forever for him to come on and my roommate and i even went to the hemlock down the street for two beers cause we were so tired of the long winded opening acts and he still didn't come on. finally he comes on and does 45 sec of each classic. so wack. i don't care about this guy anymore. he needs to stop talking about how important he is and prove it again

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    the STOP THE VIOLENCE!!! dude made me laugh. good comedic timing.

and yeah, what the hell is wrong with KRS anyhow? what was the turning point where he descended into this current lunacy...
    actually, my guess is that whole 'temple of hip hop' thing. that was a good start.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

and yeah, what the hell is wrong with KRS anyhow? what was the turning point where he descended into this current lunacy...

Dude has always been a wacky interview/panelist.
    I remember a show on BET circa 1988 or 89 where it was KRS
    and Chuck D squaring off against a minister who was making
    alot of noise about rap music destroying the youth.
    KRS had everyone kind of looking at each other like
    with the crazy shit he was saying ... the highlight had to be
    when KRS dropped that old "If you had kittens in the oven you
    wouldn't call 'em biscuits" chestnut, and Chuck D, the minister &
    show's host were all looking at each other and laughing, like "wow
    what a wack-job!"

• he should have never broken up with ms. melody.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    he should have never broken up with ms. melody.

I think it came down to when Ms. Melody had KRS's mega-nose covered in mustard and ketchup and wrapped in a bun that KRS called it quits.

I think what really twisted up KRS-one is the point when more white people than black folks started buying hip hop...

... 20 years ago.

• I interviewed KRS in November of 05' on my college radio show on KAOS 89.3. Dude is definitely on that next level. The way we setup the interview was that it would last till the end of our program... A world music show directly follows ours, and as the new host was cueing up music, Kris heard the song (It was some African drumming) and was like "WOAH, WOAH, WOAH - I NEED TO HAVE THIS CD..." and the program director was being real cool like "Nah man, sorry.. it's the stations.. I can make a copy for you or something..." And he was like "Yo, BRING ME 100 COPIES OF THIS. TOMMOROW @ MY HOTEL" and starts listing off his room reservations and etc. The dude was like "Alright, no doubt..... I'll uhh... get those to you.."

The interview was cool though, I might be able to find an archive of it online... But dude was definitely wildstyle.

He was calling out the FCC on-air on some "YO, I KNOW YOU'RE LISTENING, CALL IN TO THE STATION, I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU. PLEASE FCC, CALL ME IN THE STATION. I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!!!!!"

Classic. I will try to find it.....

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    When I saw him in NC he did an hour and half set of all the classics, probably one of the best hip-hop shows I ahve seen. The set with Buckshot was dope too, but more because it was only 200 people there and he was not on the bill... Just showed up.

And even though he is on some other schitt, I still respect him. He's a smart guy, probably too smart for his own good. And while I can't buy the whole hip-hop lifestyle/religion/culture aspect I do have to say the music had an overall positive effect on me and alot of the people that it appealed to. I think KRS is just trying to harness that effect, and in all his efforts he comes off looking/sounding off the wall. His core ideology is there, but he has the personality that just seems to take things waaaaay overboard and that translates to alot watching as crazytalk.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Ain't "KRS Losing Mind" threads are frequent like "Post Your Favorite Coffee" threads?

But on a serious note - doud ain't "lost his mind." He's "mad."

Mad is acting like you gonna go after a writer at a conference who wrote some bad things about you. "Losing your mind" is showing up with celery duck taped together to make pants.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    "Losing your mind" is showing up with celery duck taped together to make pants.

I had an interview with KRS that I recorded from KCRW's Chocolate City a few years ago. I'll have to track down the CD. He tells some pretty cool stories about the early days of hip hop. The funny thing is, although the interview is at least 45 minutes long, Garth Trinidad only asks like two questions. KRS just takes them and runs.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

sound bite city. is KRS the next Bill Cosby perhaps??? def a few cashews loose in the can though.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

And even though he is on some other schitt, I still respect him. He's a smart guy, probably too smart for his own good. And while I can't buy the whole hip-hop lifestyle/religion/culture aspect I do have to say the music had an overall positive effect on me and alot of the people that it appealed to. I think KRS is just trying to harness that effect, and in all his efforts he comes off looking/sounding off the wall. His core ideology is there, but he has the personality that just seems to take things waaaaay overboard and that translates to alot watching as crazytalk.

COSIGN!!!!

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts

the next Bill Cosby perhaps???

DR. HUXTABLE AIN'T CRAZY NEITHER!!!!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    What a stooge. If I had no idea what hip hop was before I heard this guy Id stay very far away from it.

From everything i can gather hip hop is sort of like rap music, but it takes itself way too seriously, and involves lots of panels and summits and shit. Theres also way more arguing, no girls, and tons of old people.

Gee... I wonder why the kids arent that into it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    true. much respect to the Cos, and he does raise MANY valid points on the condition of the black family but in the end we still view both KRS and Bill Cosby as just fussy old men.

didnt really care for him dissin $hort though. rip mc ant. town legend.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    krs obviously lacks analysis.

He needs to chill out. How does the saying go? Drink a 40, smoke a blunt, get laid, and stop being crazy.

Seriously. He had a plan (4min 30sec). In 1972 he had a plan. He had a plan for hip-hop when he was 7 years old.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    KRS is just a born entertainer. He was interviewed on Swedish radio, and he said something about regretting the whole PM Dawn incident, since he now thinks he was immature back then. But still, and I quote:

"I'm not the kind to philosopher to just sit around and philosophize...

(long for dramatic effect)

... sometimes I have to show you THE POWER OF MY PHILOSOPHY!!!!!!!"

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

"I'm not the kind to philosopher to just sit around and philosophize...

(long for dramatic effect)

... sometimes I have to show you THE POWER OF MY PHILOSOPHY!!!!!!!"

!!!

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    transcript needed

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    so far nothing in this thread supports the theory KRS has "lost his mind"
    not even the audio.......

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

KRS-One was invited to speak at Stanford and ended up using his mic time to go after writer Adisa Banjoko (aka the Bishop of Hip Hop).

Please don't dignify this guy by referring to him as a "writer"

KRS = crazy azz motherf**ker who has at least accomplished great things in the past

Adisa Banjoko = crazy azz dumb motherf**ker who has never accomplished anything of note