Another interesting transfer...

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
so my LP-CD transfer game is on point this week, and I'm ripping this album right now:an African musical that tells the story of the Xhosa tribe in Africa dealing with urbanization. Super cool funky toons with African singing, and one track is called "The Click" and is just a conversation between two villagers speaking that 'clicking' language - anyone know what it's called, my memory fades me. I'll try to post some audio later on...

Comments

• I think it's called "xhosa"

it's a cool record. I have a pressing with a brown cover.

• I think it's called "xhosa"

yeah, that's what I wrote. The liner notes say it's pronounced 'chosa'

edit: oh, you were talking about the language - doh!

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    where do you put up your adds for this service? what do you charge? just curious...

also, what kind of coverters are you using? and do you edit the audio files, remove pops, seperate tracks, etc?

• where do you put up your adds for this service? what do you charge? just curious...

also, what kind of coverters are you using? and do you edit the audio files, remove pops, seperate tracks, etc?

craigslist, and I have a sliding scale, but I ask for $20 per full length. And I do a straight to CD-RW record, import as a .aiff into iTunes and then burn an audio CD with all the artist info and album art.

It's a great way to make a little cash, and if the record is good, I get free music out of it too.

• How do you go about doing the cover art? Kinko's?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I don't enjoy said record.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I have done this transfer thing for friends in the past, and I also have made a few bucks from a few "clients". The most rewarding part was the look of an old man testing his new CD and listening again to the music he once loved. Yep, I am a beautiful human being...

imbed it into the audio file in iTunes.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    How do you go about doing the cover art? Kinko's?

I think he meant scanning....

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    I don't enjoy said record.

hmmm...nor do I, and I thought I was sitting here being the only one...seems like a lot of effort over a record that is meh...at best

have you had any un-interesting transfers yet? or stuff that people could find on cd easily and cheaply?

me?

monseiur rockwell...or you.

monseiur rockwell...or you.

only thing I'm transferring or working with right now is some 45s I pulled out of the collection for a mixtape...that..and my solo album...

I think he meant scanning....

fuck that! I would have to charge like $40 or 50 if I went through that much trouble. Besides, most folks are using their MP3 players nowadays.

CPR - any uninteresting transfers? Well, only done 3 so far, so none yet.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I found this record some time ago. I did a store listening to it and didn't get impressed by any means. Did I sleep on it?
    I don't remeber listening anything funk in it.

Peace

it would be funny if people were bringing in their dollarbin commons to get transferred. or stuff like the eagles greatest hits that can be found so cheap on cd already. but i guess it's usually people who are audiophiles and vinyl collectors with eclectic collections of things that aren't available on cd.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I found this record some time ago. I did a store listening to it and didn't get impressed by any means. Did I sleep on it?
    I don't remeber listening anything funk in it.

Peace

thats because there is nothing remotely funky on the LP.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Are you going to their place to pick up the LPs or do they drop them off to you?

• it would be funny if people were bringing in their dollarbin commons to get transferred. or stuff like the eagles greatest hits that can be found so cheap on cd already. but i guess it's usually people who are audiophiles and vinyl collectors with eclectic collections of things that aren't available on cd.

ha ha! yeah that would be hilarious. So far it's been two records that the guys were looking for everywhere and could only find a vinyl copy on ebay, the other was that guys barmitzvah record.

One of them was my friend so he came over to my place and we had a listening party while recording, the other two I picked up and dropped off (with an extra delivery fee, of course).

as for this particular record being funky or not, I guess it depends on how anal your definition of funky is. Like, I think Grover Washington "Feels So Good" or Aerosmith "Sweet Emotion" is funky. And to be clear, I did not say that this record was 'Funk' but that it was 'funky'. Would you say the "Hand Clapping Song" is funky? Bambaataa thought it was.

But thanks all the same for registering your discontent, I'll keep it in mind.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Aerosmith "Sweet Emotion" is funky.