Salty Outbidded Tricksters (eBay Related)

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Anybody ever have someone you outbid try to get you to sell them something you just outbid them on?There was an LP up from an ex-con with spoken word poems he wrote while in prison, 100 copies pressed, etc. One dude had a bid in the whole 7 days. I outbid him in the closing seconds and get this email the next morning:
"if it means anything to you Raymond Moody was my uncle,From Newark New Jersey ,I have been looking for that record for 10 years+ would you like to sell it? as my family would appreciate the one thing Raymond did proper with his life thanks c********
So I did some talking to a few people about how I should respond. My first inclination was to CD-R it and send him the record, won for fairly cheap. But I decided to zap him:
"I'd be more than happy to send you a free CD-R of the record when I receive it"
and he sends back:
cool a burner would be nice i will trade you some rare stuff on cd c********
WTF? Doesn't sound like dude is too bent on getting his Uncle's record that he's been searching for for 10+ years, does it? Turns out this dude even bid on one of my records recently and has been buying records similar to this, according to his history. Hmmm.Anybody else had anything like this happen to them? What kinds of weird communication have you had with other eBayers?

Comments

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Scary as it is, I've "met" people on ebay like this. One guy in particular I noticed bidding on a LOT of the same stuff. We get to chatting and it turns out we know a lot of the same people. Dude is super laid back and we trade records & CDRs pretty regularly now. It's cool cuz we'll pass cheap auctions around a little network we have going.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I remember a thread some time ago about how to get sellers to end auctions early, or how to get items that have their auctions pulled. I think there was a consensus as towards the best approach being "my family member was in the band and we've been searching for the record for forever."
    Seriously though, if dude wanted it that bad he would've raised his initial bid, and he'd settle for a cd-r after that inital email?! I call bullshit on his story.
    Let us know what you get in trade.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I remember a thread some time ago about how to get sellers to end auctions early, or how to get items that have their auctions pulled. I think there was a consensus as towards the best approach being "my family member was in the band and we've been searching for the record for forever."
    Seriously though, if dude wanted it that bad he would've raised his initial bid, and he'd settle for a cd-r after that inital email?! I call bullshit on his story.
    Let us know what you get in trade.

Haha - yeah, I started that thread! I was just curious of the lengths people have gone to have sellers end auctions early. I ended up just making the seller an offer without a shady story.

Anyway, that's what I was thinking too about his bid, a $20 maximum says very little about wanting something for over 10 years, let alone them being related to you. I was giving him a chance to lay out a story with unsolicited evidence of his relation to the artist and was surprised how easily he let go. I'm not even gonna bother with a CD-R trade, unless he hit gets in touch with me again. I wouldn't be surprised if he's reading this, either. If so, "hi!"

BTW Garcia, it was a "no go" on the Nia Long. I got a "trust me, don't do it" from the cuz.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

BTW Garcia, it was a "no go" on the Nia Long. I got a "trust me, don't do it" from the cuz.

Plaese to fill in the rest of us Nia Long fans on what this means!

Whoops. I should have put that name in quotes.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

Drewn's just got it like that!
    Good thing you went the cuz route, fam's always looking out like that! Good meeting you on Saturday.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    DREWN
    am i missing something, or is this person being totally normal and nice?

it sounds that he accepted your offer for a cdr of the tunes, and offered you other things in return.
    not sure if he is the nephew, but it doens't seem like he is "salty" or a "trickster" as you say. he actually sounds like a normal dude who wants the tunes.

Whoops. I should have put that name in quotes.

We had a lawyer here at my job about 2 years ago who looked like Nia Long only 3 times sexier! Ahhh.....those were the good old days.

DREWN
    am i missing something, or is this person being totally normal and nice?

it sounds that he accepted your offer for a cdr of the tunes, and offered you other things in return.
    not sure if he is the nephew, but it doens't seem like he is "salty" or a "trickster" as you say. he actually sounds like a normal dude who wants the tunes.

Hey, you may be right. The title of the tread was a little embelished given that I don't know the whole story at this point. And I'm probably still a bit jaded from dealing with a month-long Paypal dispute with a seller in the UK who was intentionally trying to mess people over. But I just found the whole thing to be a little odd.

No harm done, and seriously, if this guy is the real deal I'd much rather him have the record than I.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    you won the auction, i wouldn't give him the record. but a cdr is just a drop in the bucket.

hook him up it might give you some karma for the next paypal issue.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Dude doesn't sound salty at all.

Somewhat related: I had bunch of free jazz CDs up once that were going for a lot of money. Some dude emailed me and asked to have CDRs made. He sent an excel sheet with what he could trade. I ended up getting some great rare live Can CDRs.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I've had dudes e-mail after an auction to ask if I'll sell them
    what I just won, becuase they got outbid, but I've never bothered
    because it was always something I really wanted.

On a slightly related note, and something I am experiencing today,
    is there any more hollow feeling of "satisfaction" than getting a paypal
    refund for a record you were all psyched to win on eBay but never showed up?
    I mean, it's nice to get my refund (since I have been 100% burned before, no refund
    or anything), but I won a copy of Earl Gaines' LP on HBR for only $5 and was totally
    amped...until a month later there was no record and, after having multiple e-mails
    ignored, a shady message saying "I thought I sent it out...it may have been lost in
    my basment flood" and a couple of weeks later I finally filed for a refund with paypal.
    I got the refund today with an icy note form the seller ("here's your money man") and
    somehow I don't feel very vindicated. I just wanted the damn record!!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I say get your hustle on. I've had people ask me to dub stuff... in one case guy was asking for a few so I said, sure, for $25 each. That $75 (for 3 LPs) half paid for what it cost me to buy em.

I've had dudes e-mail after an auction to ask if I'll sell them
    what I just won, becuase they got outbid, but I've never bothered
    because it was always something I really wanted.

On a slightly related note, and something I am experiencing today,
    is there any more hollow feeling of "satisfaction" than getting a paypal
    refund for a record you were all psyched to win on eBay but never showed up?
    I mean, it's nice to get my refund (since I have been 100% burned before, no refund
    or anything), but I won a copy of Earl Gaines' LP on HBR for only $5 and was totally
    amped...until a month later there was no record and, after having multiple e-mails
    ignored, a shady message saying "I thought I sent it out...it may have been lost in
    my basment flood" and a couple of weeks later I finally filed for a refund with paypal.
    I got the refund today with an icy note form the seller ("here's your money man") and
    somehow I don't feel very vindicated. I just wanted the damn record!!

Such a good feeling. A dude that I got a record from not too long ago sent me a refund thru Paypal because while he was packaging it he realized it was warped (something he failed to note in the item description.) Sure, I would have rather had the record, but I appreciated him looking out for the customer and not selling something unless he had good confidence it was sold as stated.

• i won this record off ebay years ago and dude emails me saying he is the guy in the photo with the girl on his shoulders, he told me the story of how the picture came about but i forget the details, something along the lines of he was just hanging around with some friends and some photographer asked them to pose for this cover, anyway dude just wanted the cover and wanted me to xerox a copy and send it to him, i never did email him back, i figured it would be a pain in the ass, plus it's not really rare so i figured he'd eventually get one.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I won a copy of

on the bay, dude emails me saying how 'he wants to give the record to his wife for a birthday pressant, how she a fan and all..'
    So I email him back saying, Its not for sale, and if he just wants a copy for his wife I'm sure she would be happy with the very nice re-ish that is for sale.
    He emails me back saying, Its important that he gives her the og cause hes a dj? and how he was going to offer me ??20 on top of what I paid for it, but he'd found a copy for half of what I'd paid, anyway..
    now thats salty.

Just to follow up, for anyone intersted in how this played out:

I got this email from the same dude today:

hey there
    i forgot to make a counter offer last time we corresponded
    how about 40 plus shipping?

Here is my response:

Are you actually related to Ray Moody? I don't think I'm interested in selling the record, but I'd want to see some evidence of such a relationship before I let it go.

It didn't make much sense to me that you actually bid on one of my records a few months back, have purchased other albums in a similar style (ie: Melvin Van Peebles), and that your MAXIMUM bid was $20 for a record you claim to be looking for for 10+ years. That doesn't make much sense to me at all.

And his:

ok dicktective thanks anyway

Thanks for playing.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    ok dicktective thanks anyway

Thanks for playing.

LOL... I wonder if this guy is a lurker... he's clearly a clueless kid if he thinks that response was somehow witty...

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Not really outbidding-related but Mr. Seller asked specifically for cash money, which I send to his address. The money never arrives, he looks up my name in the phonebook and speaks to my mom on the phone about beating me up if I don't send him the money (about 20$). I call him up later and we sort it out, i.e. him barking on the phone and me slamming my celly on the table till he shuts up. Scary guy + he had all the big eurobreaks.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Not really outbidding-related but Mr. Seller asked specifically for cash money, which I send to his address. The money never arrives, he looks up my name in the phonebook and speaks to my mom on the phone about beating me up if I don't send him the money (about 20$). I call him up later and we sort it out, i.e. him barking on the phone and me slamming my celly on the table till he shuts up. Scary guy + he had all the big eurobreaks.

Damn... I don't think I would deal with someone who demanded cash-only

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

Damn... I don't think I would deal with someone who demanded cash-only

Without a doubt, I shudder now when I think of how I used to send cash to sellers in the post...
    The first time I used paypal I was a convert...