this Maggot Brain LP

13»

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    1st press of Maggot Brain

Was maggot brain pressed with the blue label or what? later presses have no gatefold?

First press has the "swirly" label as pictured above, second press has the all-blue Westbound/20th Century label. I may be mistaken but I think the second press is also a regular gatefold, not unipak like the 1st.

oh shit - all this time I'd been thinkin' the blue label was earlier.

Earlier to Later:
    Light Blue Westbound > Vomit > Dark Blue Westbound with Orange W logo at 12:00 > Truck

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    is there a pressing of Maggot Brain (or the S/T) on the light blue label? I have some 45s with that label but never seen any LPs with it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Let's not forget the split Westbound/20th Century label, where the color
    is that of early 70's 20th Century labels, with both logos on top.
    My copy of the "Let's Take It to the Stage" LP (which is promo, so I assume it's
    1st run) has this variation, as do a couple of 45's I have,
    like this Jimmy Scott:

Truly an ugly label.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Let's not forget the split Westbound/20th Century label, where the color
    is that of early 70's 20th Century labels, with both logos on top.
    My copy of the "Let's Take It to the Stage" LP (which is promo, so I assume it's
    1st run) has this variation, as do a couple of 45's I have,
    like this Jimmy Scott:

Truly an ugly label.

what do you think of this tune by the way? when i first got that 45 i kinda liked it, but then when i got the jimmy scott on eastbound, back bone paled in comparison and it just didn't do anything for me anymore.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It never did that much for me, kind of an undistinquished
    track and performance, although I don't hate it, just kinda

But I haven't heard the one on Eastbound, and now I really want to!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    is there a pressing of Maggot Brain (or the S/T) on the light blue label? I have some 45s with that label but never seen any LPs with it.

I think Westbound used that label only on the earliest issues. By the time they got major label distribution (via Janus) in 1970, they adapted to the vomit-in-the-river design seen on the Maggot Brain album shown above.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

I think Westbound used that label only on the earliest issues. By the time they got major label distribution (via Janus) in 1970, they adapted to the vomit-in-the-river design seen on the Maggot Brain album shown above.

i've never seen any LP's with the light blue label... for funkadelic stuff, i've seen "i'll bet you" b/w "open our eyes" on that label and perhaps another 45, but never a LP...

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    the winning bidder of the repress maggot brain also paid $500 for a KISS lp collection
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4814786972

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    interesting thread...everybody saying what they see all the time and what they think is common or uncommon.

in my opinion most records are fairly uncommon...they are long out of print and there's a finite copy of them and as the years go by they will just get more and more rare. i'm constantly amazed that i keep finding records.

anyways, on the beatles tip...check ebay and see how so-called "common" records that are sealed, in shrink or just plain mint are going for more and more money these days. check out academylps.com and academyannex...they sold all these doors, love, cream records for well over $100!

sealed OG Beatles records would go for a lot more than mint Funkadelics. trust me! of course the ones ako mentioned are probably sealed 70s pressings...even though might be worth something. since they are sealed you can't really see the labels to confirm the pressing though i think.

rock music collectors are similiar to funk/hip-hop/breaks records, everybody wanting the same records, just clean original copies.