this Maggot Brain LP

Comments

• I'd go so far as to say that the LP is common and if you don't already have a copy (and claim to want one), then you don't really like Funkadelic.

Common in the US? Perhaps. Common in the UK? Perhaps not.

I've owned a reissue since 1991. Been outbid a few times in the last few years when they've gone for $70/$80.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    at least it's $80 worth of good.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I'd go so far as to say that the LP is common and if you don't already have a copy (and claim to want one), then you don't really like Funkadelic.

Common in the US? Perhaps. Common in the UK? Perhaps not.

story of my fucking life, hunting down so-called common records.

id love to have a Maggot Brain Original, but they are most certainly not common outside of the USA and prices reflect this.

If any of you lucky Americans have doubles of this common album, hit me on the PM.

reynaldo is just a lucky digger. here in American you'll see this lp a lot and, like has been said here already, 9.5 outta 10 times it is beyond hammered.

reynaldo is just a lucky digger. here in American you'll see this lp a lot and, like has been said here already, 9.5 outta 10 times it is beyond hammered.

That is almost worse than not finding it, that brief moment of triumph, only to be shattered when the realization dawns that your latest find has been used as someones dog bowl for the last 20 years.

BTW, the term "just a lucky digger" is a t-shirt waiting to happen.

BTW, the term "just a lucky digger" is a t-shirt waiting to happen.

hahaha!!!

• weird auction. two decent looking copies went for around twenty just in the last month. maybe i'm missing somethign though on these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4831470759&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4831470759&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

that one is canadian. wouldnt bother me for fifteen bucks tho.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    yeah don't know what the fuss is guys I have had every Funkadelic Westbound LP for sale over the past six months clean or sealed, none above $40. And the kicker is, most of them were bought from shops in cities where there are alledgedly some dudes looking for records.

Yes it is common to find them trashed - I would also say that about Cymande LPs, Ohio Players LPs, and basically any good latin record though.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Generally it seems black rock is going through a revival of sorts. Black merda first LP for $200 n shit like that. Up and down prices. Dudes who don't know george clinton =

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i got my copy of maggot brain in rural quebec about 8 years ago.. for $1 along with a copy of The Manual by the KLF ($4!) .. its fried out but it sounds all the better for it if you ask me... like James Browns "sho Is Funky Down Here" which i got off a crack ho in halifax for 25 cents, this is one LP where surface noise is not an issue.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Generally it seems black rock is going through a revival of sorts.

That's good to know. I got tired of seeing all this middling Roy Ayers smooth-jazz stuff getting all the shine. :::ducking tomatoes:::

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    story of my fucking life, hunting down so-called common records.

id love to have a Maggot Brain Original, but they are most certainly not common outside of the USA and prices reflect this.

If any of you lucky Americans have doubles of this common album, hit me on the PM.

Maggot Brain is by no means "common" in American either. I mean, it's not like there's only 500 copies out there or anything, but that doesn't make it common either. Common are Barry Manilow albums that I see in every single Goodwill ever. Common is Beatles albums, for that matter, since millions of copies of each album sold. I really don't think those early Funkadelic albums ever sold even half a million copies, and on top of that a lot of the people that own those albums are holding onto those sumbitches as if their lives depended on it. I know a few people that don't even collect funk or jazz or anything and listen to mostly rock and even they collect Funkadelic on vinyl. Demand far outstrips supply, I think.

Common? Not by a mile. Perhaps more common in larger metropolitan areas, but not all of us live in places like that so we don't have a huge selection of vinyl stores to check out. I can't say I have a whole lot of options when it comes to digging for vinyl... And yeah, there's eBay, but that's not the same as finding it out in the field. That, and getting Funkadelic on eBay I know I'd have to pay a premium price for the record...and I don't know many "common" records that go for $40-60.

Just because a record doesn't show up in the local goodwill every weekend doesn't mean it's not common.

Also just because a record is hard to find in some rural backwater doesn't mean it's not common.

I don't see Chicago 13 in every salvation army but it's still a common record.

I don't even really consider myself that hardcore and it's easy enough to find funkadelic records if you do a little work.

I don't even really consider myself that hardcore and it's easy enough to find funkadelic records IN AMERICA if you do a little work.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I don't even really consider myself that hardcore and it's easy enough to find funkadelic records on eBay[/b] with little work.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I don't even really consider myself that hardcore and it's easy enough to find funkadelic records IN AMERICA if you do a little work.

Here, shadow:

teach these americans a thing or two

(somebody make a graemlin to use in e-beefing, plaese)

• It seems like the s/t Funkadelic album is way tougher. You got a copy of that one for sale JP? Might need to get atcha......

Might I add that while I truly love "Maggot Brain", their first album is the definitive "black rock" statement.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Here, shadow:

teach these americans a thing or two

(somebody make a graemlin to use in e-beefing, plaese)

Jizzmopfunkadelia.

It seems like the s/t Funkadelic album is way tougher. You got a copy of that one for sale JP? Might need to get atcha......

Might I add that while I truly love "Maggot Brain", their first album is the definitive "black rock" statement.

yeah, S/T is by far the toughest Funkadelic in my experience. I don't even see beat copies.

It seems like the s/t Funkadelic album is way tougher. You got a copy of that one for sale JP? Might need to get atcha......

yeah, S/T is by far the toughest Funkadelic in my experience. I don't even see beat copies.

Don't have a copy right now but I've had two in the last six months, it's not a super tough pull in my experience. I actually find clean copies of the 1st press of Maggot Brain to be the toughest, the 2nd pressing seems far more common. Followed by Free Your Mind, which I almost never see mint - even when the record's clean the jacket is often worn. I used to think America Eats Its Young was the toughest but I ended up finding a few back to back.

I see these the most in California though, never in NYC.

And I'm just kind of being a dick on purpose, these are not hanging all over the place but they're not "rare" by any means.

Rare is a record you see once a year - or less.

Maggot Brain is by no means "common" in American either. I mean, it's not like there's only 500 copies out there or anything, but that doesn't make it common either. Common are Barry Manilow albums that I see in every single Goodwill ever. Common is Beatles albums, for that matter, since millions of copies of each album sold.

I gotta agree with this. I've had discussions with my friend Bob about this selfsame topic - he always misuses the word "common" as well. If it turns up all the time for $10-20 on eBay or at conventions, that is not common to me. On the other hand, the Pigmeat Markham albums that I see all the time in used stores for $5 are definitely easy to come by.

(And before someone writes in going, "I never see Pigmeat's albums in my town!," just keep in mind that record collecting can be regional...)

I really don't think those early Funkadelic albums ever sold even half a million copies

...but they did make Billboard's pop album charts. Not very high, but SOMEBODY was buying those mamma-jammas or else those Westbound albums wouldn't be on Billboard's radar. I think THIS is why those LP's aren't as "common" as you'd think:

a lot of the people that own those albums are holding onto those sumbitches as if their lives depended on it.

[I know a few people that don't even collect funk or jazz or anything and listen to mostly rock and even they collect Funkadelic on vinyl.

Well, Funkadelic was sorta rockish anyway (esp. during the Westbound years), so that's a no-brainer.

(During my used-rekkid store days, I can't tell you HOW many times some hip-hopper RETURNED a reissue of Free Your Mind... because it didn't sound like "One Nation Under A Groove."

(Talking about Maggot Brain) Common? Not by a mile. Perhaps more common in larger metropolitan areas

(speaking as a resident of a large metro area) No.

1st press of Maggot Brain

Was maggot brain pressed with the blue label or what? later presses have no gatefold?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I've seen S/T just as often (or not often) as I see Maggot Brain, actually. S/Ts have ALL been too beat to purchase, and I'm not even crazy anal like that about condition.

Was maggot brain pressed with the blue label or what? later presses have no gatefold?

First press has the "swirly" label as pictured above, second press has the all-blue Westbound/20th Century label. I may be mistaken but I think the second press is also a regular gatefold, not unipak like the 1st.

First press has the "swirly" label as pictured above, second press has the all-blue Westbound/20th Century label. I may be mistaken but I think the second press is also a regular gatefold, not unipak like the 1st.

Has anybody ever seen a third pressing with the "truck" label?

I figured they must be out there, since they're mentioned in the credits of their 1977 best-of, Best Of The Early Years (with that pseudo-Pedro Bell album cover).

oh shit - all this time I'd been thinkin' the blue label was earlier.

I've seen S/T just as often (or not often) as I see Maggot Brain, actually. S/Ts have ALL been too beat to purchase, and I'm not even crazy anal like that about condition.

haha! I have had just the opposite. I (used to) find trashed Maggot Brains all the time. Same with Free your mind - but never saw the first one.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'll agree that Funkadelic records are fairly common, I see them pretty often -
    my point, however, was that CLEAN Funkadelic records are far from common,
    at least outside of JP & Reynaldo's experiences ... I find thrashed copies of
    Free Your Mind and Maggot Brain and even Funkadelic a few times a year -
    I've seen truly clean copies of each of the first two maybe once apiece in 8 years,
    and never once a clean copy of the S/T, only trashed.

And although Tuff Gong took my post out of context, I wasn't saying that clean Beatles LP's
    are "worth more" than clean Funkadelic LP's, I was merely making the comparison of records you see often but rarely clean,
    and why the clean copies go for so much more, with Beatles LP's being the extreme example -
    you can build a house with trashed copies of Revolver, stores have basements filled with boxes
    of them...but get an unplayed OG in the shrinkwrap, and it's value suddenly goes up from fifty cents to $50.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Most Beatles albums aren't worth all that much really, even if in great shape, because there's just so damn many of them.

are sealed beatles albums worth much? probably not, but my aunt has a few sealed originals...seems like she could sucker somebody into payin some CA$H

Depends on the album, really. I mean, it's all relative. A sealed Beatles album could fetch a lot depending but people seem to think that all their Beatles albums are worth a ton even opened and played. It's not that Beatles albums are worthless, it's that people completely overestimate what they're worth. People think any old Beatles album is worth $20 or something when the truth is so many people had Beatles albums that few of them are worth more than maybe $5-10 even in great shape. Sealed though? Those could be worth a fair amount depending on the album and the particular pressing. With Beatles stuff particular pressings really matter. Mono versus stereo, etc, are essential in whether or not specific Beatles albums are worth anything. I'm sure there's websites that list which pressings of which albums are the valuable ones.

Really, I could be talking out my ass here but with Beatles albums I think the mono pressings are the sought-after ones. It's the difference between A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Beatles-Something-New-Mono-T2108-1stPress-LP-SEALED_W0QQitemZ4839413139QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"> this (and that's buy it now, who knows what it would get on regular auction) and A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-BEATLES-SOMETHING-NEW-SEALED-LP-ORIGINAL_W0QQitemZ4838049464QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"> this. I mean, $127 isn't chump change but most people would think any sealed Beatles album is worth a thousand dollars or something outrageous like that.

Overall I'd say clean Beatles OGs exceed clean Funkadelic OGs in monetary value easy... I think the reason you're confused is cuz 90% of the time folks who swear they own "original" Beatles issues are actually sitting on 70s and 80s repressings

Not that I keep up on ebay prices or anything, but $80 on Maggot Brain is strictly some rocksmoker shit

Admittedly, I still don't own the wax cuz the one time I saw it clean it was the blue label for $15 (I do have most of it on 45 though)... but I feel certain I'll grab a nice clean swirly label under $40 someday

ok ok ok, i was being sarcastic with the 'common' speak. Jeeze, ima need to start useing italics.

And i aint trying to get at Americans, if anything take it as a compliment, ive never been to your shores, but by the sounds of things the streets are paved with worn Maggot Brain OGs.

Its Monday, My kids been up all weekend and some fuckhead took a swing at me at work. at least my wife isnt yelling at me. oh... wait a minute.

Ok im off to play some Funkadelic. on CD.

Bollocks.