is this program possible? (NRR)

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
ever since...forever, i always thought it would be interesting and relatively simple to make a program that just ran through every possible pixel combination on a computer monitor. imagine how fucked up that would be...youd see a lot of things you definitely would never want to. and some things you probably only could by doing that.it would be weird because, it would pretty much display any image possible...at that resolution.has this been thought of already? im sure it has. but has anybody made it happen?

Comments

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    you can do it with your own tv at home!!

but only in black and white.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Good lord. I pray I'm still alive by the time that becomes the standard! Imagine Serato with that shit?! Oooooh!!!

Herm

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    ever since...forever, i always thought it would be interesting and relatively simple to make a program that just ran through every possible pixel combination on a computer monitor. imagine how fucked up that would be...youd see a lot of things you definitely would never want to. and some things you probably only could by doing that.

it would be weird because, it would pretty much display any image possible...at that resolution.

has this been thought of already? im sure it has. but has anybody made it happen?

this reminds me of the jorge luis borges short story called "the library of babel" (i think that's the title). it's a story about a library sitting somewhere in the universe that's got every possible character combination of a fixed alphabet, with a fixed number of pages and words per page. there were people spending their life going through the library looking for "absolute truth", as it had to be in one of the books, until they realized they wouldn't be able to tell it from absolute untruth. other crazy shit in that story too.

• ever since...forever, i always thought it would be interesting and relatively simple to make a program that just ran through every possible pixel combination on a computer monitor. imagine how fucked up that would be...

I like this idea.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    ever since...forever, i always thought it would be interesting and relatively simple to make a program that just ran through every possible pixel combination on a computer monitor. imagine how fucked up that would be...youd see a lot of things you definitely would never want to. and some things you probably only could by doing that.

it would be weird because, it would pretty much display any image possible...at that resolution.

has this been thought of already? im sure it has. but has anybody made it happen?

If you yourself were to design such a program and implement it tomorrow, you would not, on your billionth birthday, have seen even the smallest fraction of the possibilities. Amid the overwhelming preponderance of random/meaningless pixel combinations would be recognizable/meaningful images, which, if logged, would allow you to eventually piece together the entire history of the universe.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

If you yourself were to design such a program and implement it tomorrow, you would not, on your billionth birthday, have seen even the smallest fraction of the possibilities. Amid the overwhelming preponderance of random/meaningless pixel combinations would be recognizable/meaningful images, which, if logged, would allow you to eventually piece together the entire history of the universe.

if you do it in 32 bit colors and a at a resolution of 2x2 pixels.. google said 32 bit has 4294967296 distinct colors.. i guess that means you would have 4294967296^4 variations in a 2x2 resolution... and in 1024x768 it would be 4294967296^(1024*768) ...how much is that?

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    i think that site was wrong... 32-bit was the same as 16.7 million colors. 16.7^(1024*768) = ?

yes i am bored.

• dang, that's like a lava lamp, photoshop and a chaos pad all wrapped into one.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

yeah, i mean i was thinking id make sure it ran at an extremely fast speed, but even then....years, easily.

but yeah. seriously, youd see every possible thing...possible to be displayed in that resolution.

like, youd basically see everything, ever. and make a lot of realizations. and see impossible situations.