melbourne record hunting

DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I am flying to Melbourne next week to do the family thing (8 month baby and relatives to look up) and though i grew up there i haven't lived there for 15 years. Most of the spots i used to frequent have probably closed. I would appreciate someone letting me know some spots worth checking out. thanks in Advance

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    WubWub,

Hey matey, make sure you get a meat pie with gravy and a seafood basket and wash it down with four or five Crown Lagers OK!

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Sounds like a recipie for a good spew.
    Meat pies are good though

• manchildmanchild 56 Posts
    northside records - cnr gertrude and smith st collingwood
    jaycees records - high st prahran
    licorice pie - high st prahran

that's the main spots and a couple a other smaller bits...

check ya pm's

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Make sure you hit all the Dixons...

manchild; what's that store that puts out stock every saturday morning with the grumpy old dude that works there... there was some HEAT at the place man...

im coming down Friday, make sure you hit me with specifics what you want me to bring for you record wise..

peace.

I will definately hit them up as my mum and her partner are good mates with the owner Geoff Dixon.

manchild; what's that store that puts out stock every saturday morning with the grumpy old dude that works there... there was some HEAT at the place man..
    peace.

ha! warren's record paradise, that dude is like the walking dead i swear to god. I still remember fondly the first time i went in as a 17 year old digger, searching for zappa and beefheart. i approached the counter and asked if i could listen to a record. he snatched the record out of my hand and told me to get out. that's pretty much a standard interaction with the man.
    oh yeah dixons rarely, rarely gets anything decent these days, just the occasional don burrows or something.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    apparently there's a new place in the flinders street station underpass, I haven't been there yet but I've heard good things.

• ^^^ that'd be the Wax Museum. Run by Awakenings beatmaker Aux One I do believe...

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    'This is it' is well stocked on the hip hop tip right now

Located under Richmond Train Station, Swan Street

i will try and take a day off from my family commitments and seek out some of the mentioned spots. Is camberwell market still worth checking out?

• Yeah its not bad, but you have to go early.
    I think it closes at midday..

Yeah its not bad, but you have to go early.
    I think it closes at midday..

for sure, though i reckon only worth hitting it if you get there by 7am at the latest. which is a big call on a sunday morning, esp for a gigging dj. have of course done the straight-from-the-club-still-hammered-5am dig but try to refrain these days...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    hey wubwub, if you are down there this Friday, I'm doing a show down there in the city... hit me on the PM, I get in at 1pm and can take you out to some spots...

peace.