What the hell happened to Sugar Hill Records?

funkyexamplefunkyexample 915 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
It's a bummer that the label that was so much in hip hop music now just isn't. I am sure there probably isn't anyone really involved with the label that was there 20+ years ago but they don't even have any hip hop folks in their catalog. 'rapper's delight' at least deserves to be in the catalog? doesn't it?http://www.sugarhillrecords.com/index.cgion a related note it seems our own soul strutter brethren j***y p******k seems to be highlighting at the label here- see right below tom paxton on the third row.http://www.sugarhillrecords.com/catalog/artists.cgi

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    You're probably joking but NC's Sugar Hill is not the same as NY's Sugar Hill

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Someone just asked me this yesterday when they saw the Sugar Hill 12" wallpaper on my Apple. Is that you, Eric?

• ignoramous is me. i swear i had sugar hill 12"'s that had the NC address on them.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    You're probably joking but NC's Sugar Hill is not the same as S>NY/S> NJ's Sugar Hill

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    I thought AZ bought the company! Him and CL where going to be the new SugaFella!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    You're probably joking but NC's Sugar Hill is not the same as NY's Sugar Hill

Easy mistake. But our local Sugarhill label's flagship release was of course the seminal cut "NPR Listener's Delight."

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'm surprised neither label took the other to court. I mean, look at the logos - they're even PUNCTUATED the same way (Sugar Hill, not Sugarhill). And they've been in business roughly the same amount of time (I think the rap label is still around, even though they're inactive).

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm surprised neither label took the other to court. I mean, look at the logos - they're even PUNCTUATED the same way (Sugar Hill, not Sugarhill). And they've been in business roughly the same amount of time (I think the rap label is still around, even though they're inactive).

The rap label pulled some shadiness in the mid-eighties, basically declaring itself bankrupt and defunkt to avoid having to pay 99 Records for "White Lines" after they (finally) lost that court battle...

The catalog was immediately scooped up by the prior owners for nothing...

New reissues/comps have the logo on it but as far as know the label hasn't been active since then

I always thought it was funny that both were active and popular concurrently for several years, then again they appealed to entirely different audiences...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I always thought it was funny that both were active and popular concurrently for several years, then again they appealed to entirely different audiences...

"That's the joint!"

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    If anybody had the right to put out that Run-C&W album***, it was the bluegrass Sugarhill.

(***novelty 90's album featuring country versions of then-contemporary rap and soul songs)

• rawmanrawman 16 Posts
    i heard there was a fire that burned out of control.