Collision LP - Aussie/Kiwi strutters help?

triptoyourmindtriptoyourmind 294 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
What's the word on this? is it worth tracking down? Marcofunk likes it, should I?

Comments

• manchildmanchild 56 Posts
    i don't rate it super highly - it's a bit disco-ey for my tender breakbeatraer sensibilities.
    it's not that hard to come up on and personally i wouldn't forking out big $ for it...

• Cheers for the heads up, anyone got soundlips?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Heard it a while back and wasn't that impressed.
    It's reasonably hard to find though, but not really worth the price tag.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    $20 US at best... pretty weaksauce disco-ey shit...

manchild, whats you with your mate who's had this Sadistic Mika Band 7" on hold for a year??

B

• Yeah its like... neh? Though probably the best we could muster up then.
    I bought mine for about $3 years ago.

Yeah its like... neh? Though probably the best we could muster up then.

J***n, I'm coming to Sydney to DJ for the Optimen... lets connect like Voltron (no homo).

b

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    When are you gonna be here B****?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    It's just kinda funky with a disco tinge, apparently they were better (ie.not so disco) earlier on in their career, & even had a rep as the best funk-soul band in NZ through the mid 70s but that is just word of mouth to me & they didn't exactly have an abundance of competition in that field locally. By the time they released the LP & singles they had caught the disco bug. Good for what it is (kiwi band trying to bite the sounds of contemporary late 70s US Funk/Disco acts) & a good score if you find it cheap (it does turn up every so often, as do the 45s, but it is not an easy dig), but not one to really sweat unless you specifically collect local stuff. And hey, at least those dudes got out of Tokoroa before they all became lumberjacks BTW, I think they were also Dalvanius' backing group for a while in Australia, if that is any reccomendation??

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    BTW, I think they were also Dalvanius' backing group for a while in Australia, if that is any reccomendation??

BTW, I think they were also Dalvanius' backing group for a while in Australia, if that is any reccomendation??

We must add the obligatory RIP..For such a big dude to be obsessed with chihuauas made a strange site, dude loved his little dogs.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    holmes you on

and congrats for being the first person to ever mention Tokoroa here on the boards, classic! thats where the Datsuns are from incidentally - those greasy hairs crashed at my flat one night before they came famous many moons ago courtesy of the houseguest Barry, who was also from Tokora, a self confessed pie eater, and very hosptiable

throw another snag on the barbie yo

• minusnzminusnz 62 Posts
    Definately not an essential piece of kiwiana (US$20 max) if mint.
    'maybe' pick it up if you see it cheap,and even then you might want to give it a listen first,doesnt show up often in the central and lower NTH island.

All 'four tracks' from thier 'two 45s', are included on the Lp also.

We must add the obligatory RIP..For such a big dude to be obsessed with chihuauas made a strange site, dude loved his little dogs.

Indeed.

His version of 'Respect yourself' aint too shabby, i believe it was his second single.

Dalvanius & the Fascinations - Respect yourself/wiley 45 - Reprise - 1974 (check it out if you see it around).

Cant speak of Dalvanius without mention of 'The Patea Maori Club' and thier smash hit 'Poi E' either, of which he was co writer and producer.

Along with his obsession with little dogs.
    He also spearheaded the retreival of, 'Moko Mokai'(mummified human full facial tattooed heads), that had been bought,traded,stolen throughout the 1800's, and sold overseas to museums,collectors etc.
    He then brought them back to New Zealand to R.I.P in thier tribal grounds .

R.I.P (The legendary Big 'D').

• Yeah its like... neh? Though probably the best we could muster up then.

J***n, I'm coming to Sydney to DJ for the Optimen... lets connect like Voltron (no homo).

b

Cool. April then. See you here...

Sweet, kiwis in effect, i had a mate who worked forestry in Tokoroa, i visited him one weekend and saw one of the biggest scraps ive ever seen at the pie cart.

RIP the man, Poi-e introduced a lot of young kiwis to breaking, due mostly to that one dude in the video with the white gloves, shit i remember running home from school and turning on Olly Ohlson hoping to catch that video.

You Americans dont realise how isolated we were back then, all we had to go on was the occasional video, (RTR mate!) and the album covers in the local store, shit we would digest that shit, analysing liner notes, seeing who was down with who, i remember argueing over which one was Flavor Flav on the cover of PE's 1st.
    Then Dalvanious came along and whilst it might sound cheesy now, showed us that you didnt have to be from the other side of the world to rock it . meant a lot to us kids at the time.

shot.

It's all about the dude from Blerta...

That documentry was **FIRE**

You got that on tape H**h?

I'm in Melbourne next Friday, we diggin' or what...

B

• BlowFlyBlowFly 89 Posts
    Sweet, kiwis in effect, i had a mate who worked forestry in Tokoroa, i visited him one weekend and saw one of the biggest scraps ive ever seen at the pie cart.

naaa bro, more like this:

manchild, whats you with your mate who's had this Sadistic Mika Band 7" on hold for a year??

B

wha? who's that?

B

wha? who's that?

Some dude "Brett Little" aka "mu_gen" who used u as a reference... DEADBEAT

b

B

wha? who's that?

Some dude "Brett Little" aka "mu_gen" who used u as a reference... DEADBEAT

b

oh yo, that's my boy - just didn't know bout it that's all... i'll ask him what up tomorrow.

p,s, GO TO BED!! it's like 3am or something kid...

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    It's all about the dude from Blerta...

That documentry was **FIRE**

You got that on tape H**h?

I'm in Melbourne next Friday, we diggin' or what...

B

Bruno Lawerence, yeah yeah,
    got that doc on vid - not too sure how to get it onto DVD or something,

see you next week,

holmes you on

and congrats for being the first person to ever mention Tokoroa here on the boards, classic! thats where the Datsuns are from incidentally - those greasy hairs crashed at my flat one night before they came famous many moons ago courtesy of the houseguest Barry, who was also from Tokora, a self confessed pie eater, and very hosptiable

throw another snag on the barbie yo

Hey Lucero, how's things back in Melb? I always thought the Datsuns were from Cambridge, anyways, those podunk waikato towns are all the same basically anyways, just swap Tokoroa's logs for Cambridge's horses & it's all the same thing. I used to see the Datsuns play in Hamilton a bit, even back when they were called Trinket. They won a local battle of the bands & recorded their first 'real' sessions at the Polytech Studios where I was studying as the prize for the contest. We had 24 track Ampex 2" Reel to Reel machine & they specifically wanted to record everything on that so it sounded 'fat' & 'old school'. I think those sessions became their first couple of self released 7"s, I don't think I got a credit though for assistant engineering. I actually got on the door for their New Years Eve show just gone & saw them live for the first time in about 6 years. Weedley deedly guitar solos & rock n roll posturing galore. Wasn't a bad night though. BTW - every meat pie apparently includes a golfball of fat...mmmm

RIP the man, Poi-e introduced a lot of young kiwis to breaking, due mostly to that one dude in the video with the white gloves, shit i remember running home from school and turning on Olly Ohlson hoping to catch that video.

You Americans dont realise how isolated we were back then, all we had to go on was the occasional video, (RTR mate!)

shot.

nzshadow now your .

That dude with the white gloves in Poi-e was the epitome of hiphop in NZ back in the day (early 80s),for a coupl'a years back then most bboys were doing what they thought was 'The Bop' due to the misunderstanding and pronunciation of the words 'hip hop', by maori & samoan breakers freeeessshh.

As for the RTR(ready to roll) music tv show,i didnt realise until the early 80's that the theme tune was Commodores 'machine gun',again frreesshh.

BTW - every meat pie apparently includes a golfball of fat...mmmm

yet i crave them every day...

steak and cheese stylee

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

Hey Lucero, how's things back in Melb? I always thought the Datsuns were from Cambridge, anyways, those podunk waikato towns are all the same basically anyways, just swap Tokoroa's logs for Cambridge's horses & it's all the same thing. I used to see the Datsuns play in Hamilton a bit, even back when they were called Trinket. They won a local battle of the bands & recorded their first 'real' sessions at the Polytech Studios where I was studying as the prize for the contest. We had 24 track Ampex 2" Reel to Reel machine & they specifically wanted to record everything on that so it sounded 'fat' & 'old school'. I think those sessions became their first couple of self released 7"s, I don't think I got a credit though for assistant engineering. I actually got on the door for their New Years Eve show just gone & saw them live for the first time in about 6 years. Weedley deedly guitar solos & rock n roll posturing galore. Wasn't a bad night though. BTW - every meat pie apparently includes a golfball of fat...mmmm

Cambridge / Tokoroa - a pies a pie ::

nice story!

things challah here, I got the day off work, going to go play some golf then head down the coast for the w/e

Cambridge / Tokoroa - a pies a pie ::

nice story!

things challah here, I got the day off work, going to go play some golf then head down the coast for the w/e
    Sounds sweet, I have a full 6 period day Wish I was playing golf.

BTW - every meat pie apparently includes a golfball of fat...mmmm

yet i crave them every day...

steak and cheese stylee
    Man, steak & cheese, sandwitched in a cheese bun was my high school lunch bar lokes back in the day. There is no way I could stomach that now though...