Bay strutters - What it do on a "My Block" party?

Mongo_SladeMongo_Slade 999 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
MTV2 is airing the installment of "My Block" with all the Bay dudes this Sunday-- who's down to watch that?

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    What is it? I haven't had cable in years.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    The Original Block is in Germany...peep this guy having a no1 hitrecord with Mein Block "My Block" and selling over 100000 records in Germany...

his mask is half skull, half microphone and he has a nice belly...

so now you know that

Disconnected from the streets is not[/b] the norm in Germany

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I know, I know like Bill Withers

Shake them dreads!!!!

• That top pic is lookin' real Fillmore to me.

JT the Bigga Figga once gave me the most uncomfortable handshake of my life. Uncomfortable in the sense that it lasted way too long, but also in the sense that he really needed to cut his nails.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    he really needed to cut his nails.

step up your coke game ross.

top pic: volvo: the bay gangsta ride of choice. aks me about it.

• That top pic is lookin' real Fillmore to me.

JT the Bigga Figga once gave me the most uncomfortable handshake of my life. Uncomfortable in the sense that it lasted way too long, but also in the sense that he really needed to cut his nails.

Quinn was one grade above me in high school - one time I was on "security" duty (haha laugh it up) for a home football game and he and a hommie tried to hustle their way in without paying. I eventually turned him away but felt real stupid doing so, he was already pretty well known locally at that point.

• top pic: volvo: the bay gangsta ride of choice. aks me about it.

dude, that's a mustang-- probably a '68.

oh yeah.....

• this is kinda bullshit. I clearly remember hearing the Wake Up Show over the years and that dude never ever ever would play local "turf rap". He would maybe mess with some Saafir or Dereliks etc...Anyone who's heard that show knows for sure that motherfucker was probally seriously fronting on all of that shit.

Still, the Wake-Up show was the shit especially when they would have Babu, Cut Chemist or Rev do a proper set.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this is kinda bullshit. I clearly remember hearing the Wake Up Show over the years and that dude never ever ever would play local "turf rap". He would maybe mess with some Saafir or Dereliks etc...Anyone who's heard that show knows for sure that motherfucker was probally seriously fronting on all of that shit.

Still, the Wake-Up show was the shit especially when they would have Babu, Cut Chemist or Rev do a proper set.

sway works for mtv now, he's just hosting the shit, not repping.

funny thing about that though...I ended getting filmed yesterday for an mtv segment about stunna shades, which consisted of them giving me some ridiculous shades and having sway come up to me and go "stunners: yay or nay?"

anyways I talked to sway for a second after filming and when I told him I was surprised when he showed up on mtv dude openly admitted to selling out, and that's his words. if it was up to him he'd probably still be hatin on keak on underground radio.

• this is kinda bullshit. I clearly remember hearing the Wake Up Show over the years and that dude never ever ever would play local "turf rap". He would maybe mess with some Saafir or Dereliks etc...Anyone who's heard that show knows for sure that motherfucker was probally seriously fronting on all of that shit.

funny thing about that though...I ended getting filmed yesterday for an mtv segment about stunna shades, which consisted of them giving me some ridiculous shades and having sway come up to me and go "stunners: yay or nay?"

anyways I talked to sway for a second after filming and when I told him I was surprised when he showed up on mtv dude openly admitted to selling out, and that's his words. if it was up to him he'd probably still be hatin on keak on underground radio worldwide radio[/b].

I remember them announcing like every few weeks a new affiliate in a new country. Japan, PR, Canada, All over the U.S., Europe, Australia etc....shit was broadcasted pretty far and wide.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    in all seriousness what would Sway have spun, "Fuckin With Dank"? The hard town shit at that time wasn't exactly suited for the radio but that said dude gave a lot of love to Bay rappers that were on that houser shit.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    in all seriousness what would Sway have spun, "Fuckin With Dank"? The hard town shit at that time wasn't exactly suited for the radio but that said dude gave a lot of love to Bay rappers that were on that houser shit.

ha! Fuckin with DANK Fuckin with DANK!

I am excited for this Bay block!

• in all seriousness what would Sway have spun, "Fuckin With Dank"? The hard town shit at that time wasn't exactly suited for the radio but that said dude gave a lot of love to Bay rappers that were on that houser shit.

i'm with JP on this one-- i haven't listened to the Wake-Up Show regularly since my daimey Joe Quixx took off, but i hear snatches now and again and my impression is that they do give love to Bay rappers who fit their rather narrow aesthetic. case in point, i remember hearing F.A.B. freestyling on there a year or two before Big Von or anyone else on KMEL was fucking with him.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Does Becky watch MTV ?

• in all seriousness what would Sway have spun, "Fuckin With Dank"? The hard town shit at that time wasn't exactly suited for the radio but that said dude gave a lot of love to Bay rappers that were on that houser shit.

i'm with JP on this one-- i haven't listened to the Wake-Up Show regularly since my daimey Joe Quixx took off, but i hear snatches now and again and my impression is that they do give love to Bay rappers who fit their rather narrow aesthetic. case in point, i remember hearing F.A.B. freestyling on there a year or two before Big Von or anyone else on KMEL was fucking with him.

co-siyyyne

plus, I heard dude put out a decent bay record or two of his own a whilez back

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Not so much on the Wake Up Show, but when Sway used to do the 10 o'Clock Bomb with Joe Quixx they would play a good dose of turf rap, like Yellow Brick Road by the Luniz.

top pic: volvo: the bay gangsta ride of choice. aks me about it.

dude, that's a mustang-- probably a '68.

SHEESH! all I said was "aks me about it." had you aksed me about it, i would've told you i don't know shit about cars.

and yeah, sway never really repped the bay when he could. of course we all loved the wake up show just the same.

• sergserg 682 Posts

anyways I talked to sway for a second after filming and when I told him I was surprised when he showed up on mtv dude openly admitted to selling out, and that's his words. if it was up to him he'd probably still be hatin on keak on underground radio.

fuck all that shit about meeting sway, did you say yay or nay?

• That big dude lower left looks HELLA familiar. The brain is doing cartwheels trying to remember where I've seen him, but I think he's just one of the local cats that post up on Divisadero all day eating Popeyes and selling flowers outside FLY (?!)

I think I may have voted in the garage of that house?! If that's the one I'm thinking of it's on Hayes between Broderick and Baker. That address would be right there. Ha ha! Western Addition represent!

Did anyone mention what time this is airing? I gotta see this shit!

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    This makes me homesick for the Yay, and also to wonder what happened to 3XKrazy.

• Oh fuck. This is only on MTV2? I don't get that shit!

from the MTV site:

My Block: The Bay
    After visits to hip-hop's Southern capitals, MTV News' MY BLOCK series heads West, descending on one of the country's most prolific and prodigious rap scenes -- the Bay Area. Encompassing the cities of San Francisco, Oakland and Vallejo, the "Yay Area" has long had its own unique way of doing things: from its animated artists and legendary rap icons to the ubiquitous, ingeniously cultivated slang to its distinctive balance between creative backpack rap and savvy hustler music. "My Block: The Bay" looks at the artists and subcultures that are defining the Yay right now, including the "Hyphy" movement, the Northern California version of Crunk.

date time

Sun 03/05

2:00 PM

Sun 03/05

5:30 PM

Sun 03/05

8:30 PM

Mon 03/06

12:00 PM

Mon 03/06

5:00 PM

Tue 03/07

10:00 AM

Tue 03/07

7:00 PM

Wed 03/08

5:30 PM

They say those times are Eastern Standard so I don't know if that means you need to subtract three hours from the times listed or not.

Who's got MTV2?

• TSGTSG 274 Posts

That big dude lower left looks HELLA familiar. The brain is doing cartwheels trying to remember where I've seen him, but I think he's just one of the local cats that post up on Divisadero all day eating Popeyes and selling flowers outside FLY (?!)

I think I may have voted in the garage of that house?! If that's the one I'm thinking of it's on Hayes between Broderick and Baker. That address would be right there. Ha ha! Western Addition represent!

Did anyone mention what time this is airing? I gotta see this shit!

bruce bruce on the lower left? haha.

I DON'T BUMP MAINSTREAM/I KNOCK UNDERGROUND/ALL THAT OTHER SHIT SUGAR-COATED AND WATERED DOWN...

MEANWHILE, I GET A D+ IN BALLATICS...

I WANNA CUT OVER THIS BEAT.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I want dreads!

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    i would, but i dont get mtv2 =(

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im sure someone will youtube it so we can all watch it but i cant wait

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Im about tired of all this bay shit. I dont really think people are feeling it neither.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Im about tired of all this bay shit. I dont really think people are feeling it neither.

Hateur.