Weekeday Finds (Ash Wednesday edition)

Comments

• Yes, I can afford them.

However, I would rather search out later pressings/reissues for three reasons.

1. I'm 26. The shit I listen to was made up to 50 years before I was born. Obtaining an 'original' just doesn't mean all that much to me. If I saw a Lexington Avenue Blue Note LP for sale for a good price, would I buy it? Sure. However, I'd only buy it if it sounded as clean and quiet as a Japanese/later reissue.

2. I gotta pay rent/eat/pay bills/buy other shit. I gather that you live at home rent-free and are given an allowance by your parents. This is all well and good, but you must realize that you aren't living in the 'real world' of financial obligations; most of the people posting on this board are.

3. I am a music lover, not an ethnomusicologist. I buy records for the music contained on the grooves - I listen to my records. I devour the liner notes, I play them over and over again. I don't buy them to take photos of them to post on weekend/weekday finds.

Check back with me when you've got a job, a place of your own, and some financial responsibilities.

P.S. Joe Bataan and Mongo Santamaria and the Fania All-Stars wouldn't give a shit that you owned the original 'artifacts'. They made music to be listened to, not museum pieces to be filed away on the shelf of some rich kid who lives in a fantasy world.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    oh wow.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Joe Bataan and Mongo Santamaria and the Fania All-Stars

[REYNALDO] AKA "Poor Man's Latin" [/REYNALDO]

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Yes, I can afford them.
    2. I gotta pay rent/eat/pay bills/buy other shit.

Oh? Might the latter disallow you from affording them?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

While y'all bitches fightin over $300 eBay moves, I'm listening to
    a deep soul heatrock I got right here on Soul Strut last weekend,
    from jaybreezie's set sale. $10 for a nice white label jawn. Money well spent.

O.V. Wright seriously kills it every time.

Dude also came through with a cheap copy of the ever-elusive:

Word to jaybreezie and soul strut for coming through with dope records.

Money well spent.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I can't afford any of the records I want.

I can't afford any of the records I want.
    I truly admire your humble honesty.

And they are not even that expensive!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Buying records for top dollar on ebay is like hiring a hunter to go out and shoot animals for you so you can put their heads up on your wall...

Lucky folks like Reynaldo can afford to hire record hunters who allow him to hang their trophy heads on his wall.

Most of us are out there doing the hunting, and for me, the hunt is what it's all about!!!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I can't afford the records I want, nor can I find them in the stores where I live.

I also can't afford new clothes.

I also have negative money beacuse of debt.

What does this make me in the eyes of Reynaldo? Am I even human?

We should all get together and go on Oprah.

I can't afford the records I want, nor can I find them in the stores where I live.

I also can't afford new clothes.

I also have negative money beacuse of debt.

What does this make me in the eyes of Reynaldo? Am I even human?
    You are indeed human, and because of your humbleness and honesty, slightly more so human than those who would angrily justify their seemingly illogical hatred of a lifestyle which they can ill afford (yet secretly desire).

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    We should all get together and go on Oprah.
    IT AIN'T MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]

• You are indeed human, and because of your humbleness and honesty, slightly more so human than those who would angrily justify their seemingly illogical hatred of a lifestyle which they can ill afford (yet secretly desire).

Dude, I have no hatred for you.

If anything, I feel sorry for you because you feel the need for your every move to be validated by a bunch of record nerds, 98% of whom you'll never meet.

Case in point: flossing your Old Navy haberdashery (x 5 colours) on here.

In other words, unless you're trying to get bizzay with Ms. Damn, or one of the other three females on here, just who are you trying to impress?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

YOU GET NO PUSSYCAT DOGG

just who are you trying to impress?
    Myself. I do all of this for ME.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Most of us are out there doing the hunting, and for me, the hunt is what it's all about!!![/b]

• Yes, I can afford them.

No apartment in which to listen to records + no electricity with which to play them with = The payment of rent & bills is essential.

I'm glad to see you've given something up for Lent, Reynaldo, but must it be your last shred of intelligence?

I guess we've seen the last of your self-congratulatory .jpegs of 'Latin Fyah' then?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Amen dude, & as long as you're happy, that's all that matters. Just go on making your $$$ purchases & I'll continue reading the posts & enjoying seeing what you are buying because I'll probably never see any of those records in captivity, ever.

Yes, I can afford them.

No apartment in which to listen to records + no electricity with which to play them with = The payment of rent & bills is essential.
    Ah, so you actually cannot afford them.

I guess we've seen the last of your self-congratulatory .jpegs of 'Latin Fyah' then?
    I have not yet begun to self-congratulate! Soul sturt is simply an amplifier.

Money is for suckers.

K.

huh?!

-J in America

• Uggh. You don't understand. Can't you just do that thing where you log in as 'Mel Gibson' and say 'BAN' already?

We gotta end this 'debate'. As mentioned earlier, you're gonna need to live on your own, using your own money, as procured through employment, before anything I or anyone else says to you makes sense.

As it stands, trying to explain this to you is like trying to explain string theory to a one-year-old infant.

You are delusional if you think you are living in anything but a safe little bubble.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Most of us are out there doing the hunting, and for me, the hunt is what it's all about!!![/b]

How about the one where I actually pay to have you BAN?

How about the new one where I actually pay to have you BAN.

Is selling on eBay really so much more nobel that buying on eBay?

The hunt is the primary. The sale is secondary.

• Most of us are out there doing the hunting, and for me, the hunt is what it's all about!!![/b]

Is selling on eBay really so much more nobel that buying on eBay?

Put it this way, I'd rather be the one flipping dollar bin records for my rent money than spending my rent money on ebay "grails".

Kidinquisitive - congrats on the $9.99 M***** D******* score!!!!

Put it this way, I'd rather be the one flipping dollar bin records for my rent money than spending my rent money on ebay "grails".

"OH FO SHO!"