...whut digs in the UK?

soulwhatsoulwhat 24 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
hello shy fellasanybody have local vinyl spots down in the UK...for some soul searching but anything goes beetz beetz. ---or is everything down on the web purty musch?holla at your Argyle homie,DJ Pho 888

Comments

• Give me a town as a starter for 10 johnny.......

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Funky Monkey in Nottingham

Worcester! Nice place, I was there last month with work, bored senseless of a night. Only amusement was the lesbian bartender in the hotel. Found the Speedway Cafe though. L y s t e r i a.

• Brighton
    Bristol
    London
    Bath
    maybe...Liverpool

even if it isn't records...
    if it's good for life, i'm open to anything

kissyface is what's in a name*

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    what.

• soulwhatsoulwhat 24 Posts
    what.

SOUL

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Hey soulwhat

Check this for digging in London.
    I don't know if it's updated; anyway, it's a good source for record places.

Peace

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    what.

SOUL

• sleepsleep 54 Posts
    manchester

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    holla at your Argyle homie

• Manchester (I got some good contacts for here and surrounding areas), Notts, Bristol, Brum (sort of).

And fuck London off for a change please as its infested with Australians and South Africans (WHY???) Come out to the regions i.e. anywhere thats not fucking london...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I can get behind what McDee is talkin' bout. But as to the rest of this hibbity jibbity, is this some Brit slang or something? I'm like this guy reading this

• innit bo

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    innit bo

blinder of a post mate

• 'ukin' well sound man

fair play

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I got Bristol spots for days... VIP argyle painted Warehouse steez...
    Your thread is very vague though, so i'll hold out for now...

• koopskoops 10 Posts
    mans need to reach Alans Record Store down in East Finchely in north London.
    biggest jazz collection, good prices and the dude who works there is a ledg.
    dude's got a really big collection, all types of wierd and wonderfull shit. ive spent days in that place.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I got Bristol spots for days... VIP argyle painted Warehouse steez...
    Your thread is very vague though, so i'll hold out for now...

Post up your Bristol spots, or like they say, you are soft.

Personally I wouldn't recomend anyone coming to Bristol to dig for soul.

• Personally I wouldn't recomend anyone coming to Bristol to shop for anything.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    dude's got a really big collection, all types of wierd and wonderfull shit. ive spent days in that place.

Love Alan's. My favourite record shop. I never come out with what I thought I was going to but always really nice unexpected pieces and listening to Alan and his curmudgeonly old mates rabbiting away is highly entertaining.

So Koops, are you a north Londoner too?

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Someone once told me about a huge stash in one of the warehouses somewhere around Gloucester docks. Never followed up on it though.

I wanna rep Trading Post in Stroud, Glos.

Bristol is a fave too.

• koopskoops 10 Posts

Love Alan's. My favourite record shop. I never come out with what I thought I was going to but always really nice unexpected pieces and listening to Alan and his curmudgeonly old mates rabbiting away is highly entertaining.

So Koops, are you a north Londoner too?

haha u know about alan and his mates..
    yer i live pretty near alans man, which bits do you reside in?
    you know any other good spots around these ends?

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    King Bee Records in manchester is the business.

Check out the diggers guide on the vinyl vulture boards aswell, its got reviews for record shops accross the uk.

www.vinylvulture.co.uk/forum

Its gonna be down for most of the weekend tho as their doing some kind of update.

It seems to be up now, theres a diggin guide section in the forum but im sure there used to be more than that but i cant seem to find it.

• yeah... post up your bristol spots.

i've lived in bristol for 3 years now and ive never found a record shop that isnt dead overpriced. there's some on gloucester road that are good but pricey and the replay in bedminster isnt too bad - but generally its balls.

greedy shops.

repsycho is alright for soul. as is that little record shop in cotham that i cant think of the name of...

yeah... post up your bristol spots.

i've lived in bristol for 3 years now and ive never found a record shop that isnt dead overpriced. there's some on gloucester road that are good but pricey and the replay in bedminster isnt too bad - but generally its balls.

greedy shops.

repsycho is alright for soul. as is that little record shop in cotham that i cant think of the name of...

The Cotham one is called And The Beat Goes On right?
    That one's ok i guess, recently they had some nice stuff in the bins on the floor, older stock reduced in price... it's normally too pricey though... Same for Prime Cuts in the basement of Repsycho, the best bet with that place is to get to know the staff as they may let you check through the records out the back, before they hit the records and while they're still unpriced.
    Plastic Wax occassionally let things slip through into the ??1, ??2, ??3 etc.. bins but it's an effort to go through and the guy won't let you listen to anything...
    There's a place called Bookbarn kinda near Temple Meads station that had some good stuff, but once i bought that they don't seem to have updated the stock so i don't really go there too much... There's one i forget the name of that has loads of cool stuff but usually too pricey but with some cheap gems... PK isn't too hot for soul, but check it from time to time and you occassionally come up with some good things.
    Bristol's Oxfams are also good, they are expensive for charity shops, but if you ignore that you can find some great records for good prices. The one on Park Street is cool...
    St Nicholas Market used to have a bunch of stock from Repsycho and i found a ton of great value records, but that's been moved back and so there is another stall there instead, mainly reissues i think but a couple of other bits. There's another stall in the market but it's rubbish, worth a browse if you're passing though...
    There's one record guy who i always check at that car boot sale in that big carpark in town, he has some good soul from time to time, and a bunch of rock and random stuff at cheap prices.
    There are a few more, which i can't really remember properly as i'm at uni at the moment...

• ^^^^

true all of that. i hear there's a record shop in fish ponds too, but i havent been looking for it.

that carprk guy was great, i got Man - "rhinos, winos and lunatics" for eff all. that lp's killer. but the carparks being knocked down so theyve stopped the boot fair. dont know wwhere its at now

the best record shop ive ever been to in the whole UK is definatley Ben's collectors records in Guildford, Surrey.

everytime i go there theres always loads of stuff ive been looking for for ages at half the price i'd be willing to pay for them. tonnes o jazz. and a little room full of breaks and beats out the back, but the guy who runs that room jacks his prices up. but he did produce "run the sphere" for monsta island czars and the whole "greedy fingers- shady sirens" lp. that lp is killer. featuring cage, mf doom, megalon and necro. what a line up.

I've never seen one in Fishponds, my mum works there from time to time and checks charity shops for records for me on her break and i'm sure she would have spotted one if it was there.
    You ever checked Nasher's in Bath? That's got a bunch of interesting stuff...

• yeah, Nasher's is savage. half price last time is was there cos he's closing down. shame. but he did have a whole bunch of library shits. i like sifting through all the reams of unsorted stufff cos he's lazy.

but seriously................... Ben's!

When is it closing down? i haven't been in a couple of years...
    How far away is Guildford from Bristol?
    By the way, car boot sale man is now at Whitchurch car boot...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    yeah... post up your bristol spots.

greedy shops.

The Cotham one is called And The Beat Goes On right?
    That one's ok i guess, recently they had some nice stuff in the bins on the floor, older stock reduced in price... it's normally too pricey though... Same for Prime Cuts in the basement of Repsycho, the best bet with that place is to get to know the staff as they may let you check through the records out the back, before they hit the records and while they're still unpriced.
    Plastic Wax occassionally let things slip through into the ??1, ??2, ??3 etc.. bins but it's an effort to go through and the guy won't let you listen to anything...
    There's a place called Bookbarn kinda near Temple Meads station that had some good stuff, but once i bought that they don't seem to have updated the stock so i don't really go there too much... There's one i forget the name of that has loads of cool stuff but usually too pricey but with some cheap gems... PK isn't too hot for soul, but check it from time to time and you occassionally come up with some good things.
    Bristol's Oxfams are also good, they are expensive for charity shops, but if you ignore that you can find some great records for good prices. The one on Park Street is cool...
    St Nicholas Market used to have a bunch of stock from Repsycho and i found a ton of great value records, but that's been moved back and so there is another stall there instead, mainly reissues i think but a couple of other bits. There's another stall in the market but it's rubbish, worth a browse if you're passing though...
    There's one record guy who i always check at that car boot sale in that big carpark in town, he has some good soul from time to time, and a bunch of rock and random stuff at cheap prices.
    There are a few more, which i can't really remember properly as i'm at uni at the moment...

Yep that about sums it all up.
    Apart from Rubber Soul, on oldmarket.
    Bookbarns cool, but like you said. Don't think too many will be up on it.
    The dude in St.Nick's has been there for years, he's good for reggae 45's and re-ishs but not much else.
    Prime Cuts is best for trades, as long as Mike's there. Most other places will try and rip you off. I have no love for that pricing game people like to play..
    Personally I can't be bothered with Bristol charity shops, and would rather go further afield, but I'm sure there's stuff out there. Gloucester Rd gets dug everyday by the dealers who work there.

• soulwhatsoulwhat 24 Posts
    thank you very much for ya'lls input...
    i am reading all this in the stalls and heading into and outta town in a jiffy.

miffy says,
    soulwhat