WHY ARE THESE CDs SO EXPENSIVE ? (EBAY REL.)

2»

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Its pretty funny that on here (of all places) people don't understand the attraction to owning the authentic artifact just because its a different medium

And CDRs have a limited lifespan

I don't analize record collecting, I just feel [/b] it. Deny nerdyness.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Its pretty funny that on here (of all places) people don't understand the attraction to owning the authentic artifact just because its a different medium

When I go to someone's house and see a bunch of CDs, I just feel sorry for them.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    contemporary rap

arent' we talking about steady b, skinny boys, boogie boys, just Ice etc.

Some people were, but you appeared to be talking about CDs, period:

I hate CDs. You can copy them so easy with no change in sound quality. From crappy to crappy. But if you buy a CD you also get a little 4X4 booklet? Wow. Great. Buying regular CDs is retarded enough, but for $200+, you need some serious counseling IMO.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

When I go to someone's house and see a bunch of CDs, I just feel sorry for them.

When people come to my house and see a bunch of LPs, I KNOW they feel sorry for me.

contemporary rap

arent' we talking about steady b, skinny boys, boogie boys, just Ice etc.

Some people were, but you appeared to be talking about CDs, period:

I hate CDs. You can copy them so easy with no change in sound quality. From crappy to crappy. But if you buy a CD you also get a little 4X4 booklet? Wow. Great. Buying regular CDs is retarded enough, but for $200+, you need some serious counseling IMO.

feel free to generalize my statement. but i'm not saying you need the actual record. just copy the CD. i agree new stuff sounds fine enough in digital form.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Maybe this explains why someone's trying to sell a copy of MC Tunes The North At Its Heights for 85 pounds.

Picked up my copy for a pound in Cash Convertors. Possibly overspent.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Should I be stockpiling Steady B and Cool C whatnot? I passed on a Steady B sealed Bring That Beat Back 12" because I was like eh, but I think I made a mistake. That whole situation going down is so sad. I look at Cool C looking happy and smiling on his LP and it's just like

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

You feel sorry for me, dawg?

Damn. This is related to the "artificial limits on yourself" issue brought up by sun fortune. I just can't let my self slip into collecting anything alse. It would be a disaster.

So I hate CDs. Don't even get my started on stamps. Those fucking stamp people!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Don't even get my started on stamps. Those fucking stamp people!

Send all your upside down plane jawns to me Fatback.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Damn. This is related to the "artificial limits on yourself" issue brought up by sun fortune. I just can't let my self slip into collecting anything alse. It would be a disaster.

So I hate CDs. Don't even get my started on stamps. Those fucking stamp people!

Like me and 78s.

Dude, lately I have become obsessed with certain types of books! Get the OCD straightjacket ready!

I just like/hate CDs because of their ubiquity in the field...you can always find a ton to look thru at a Pawn shop no matter where you might find yourself.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

So you have $500 bucks for two CDs. But you could buy the LPs for $5. Then get a nice TT for $495. And I don't care if you live in Mongolia. There's no excuse for this kind of dumbassness.

So how do you feel about collectors who pay $800 for an LP
    when they could buy it on CD for $15?

The only real folly to the CD collector's market, as Faux stated, is
    that once an OOP CD gets reissued, the OG becomes worthless. Especially
    since the new edition will usually be upgraded with bonus tracks, etc.
    There are exceptions, like how Ryko put out all those awesome Bowie
    CD's with bonus tracks, but lost the license and the new CD's don't
    have the goodies - therefore making the Ryko OOP CD's valuable.
    Anytime you have a CD that is valuable because it's OOP, sell it
    immediately. Sitting on CD's hoping they will appreciate is a big mistake.

• AzeezAzeez 9 Posts
    Most of these old school cds were only pressed in Europe & Japan (e.g. Steady B). Cds weren't pressed in the States at that time (at least not those specific ones). That's why you'll always see Germans/Europeans selling those cds

That doesn't make any sense

What I'm trying to say is that a US (CD) collector didn't even have the chance to purchase it when it came out. I sold a copy 2 years ago for that price & have been looking for more copies - nearly impossible (I live in Austria, right next to Germany). Of course the demand for this cd is way higher than than the supply, but the fact that these aren't/were never available in the States (& I know that 90% of those bidders are from the States) make this a +$200 cd...everytime this steady b cd pops up it will sell for that price...this is no trend

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    If these CDs are europe only releases it would make sense that a lot of poeple worldwide are willing to pay some money for it. But again. Over $200. There are no extras on these CDs. If those dudes dont have a turntable they could get MP3s of those LPs. The only thing could be that these dudes are CD collectors, and why not.

On lower-class TV I saw a feature about men collecting almost everything. A dude collected plastic bags, postcards whatever.

There a dudes collecting plane cassettes, buying Ferrometal tapes from japan for $200 , other dudes pay money for rap cassettes. I dont get it, tapehiss is horrible, but fuck it, they love it.

Human beings, the perversion of evolution.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    men collecting almost everything.

where's a-ko with his collection of cans? Who on this board has the biggest kicks collection? Will look for that Steady B CD now in my town...

greets,

dojah

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    More: what if CDs become an obsolete media in the next 10 years? Wouldn't it make them instant collectibles? As much as I hate them, I'll start to buy every Beatles, Stones and Elvis argentinian CDs raers that I could find.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I have a bunch of CDs, mainly because I probably got sent 10 a week for six years or so when I was writing music reviews. The only CDs I really bought where things with extra tracks on - there's a load of stuff that has bonus mixes and otherwise-unavailable tracks on.
    The Diamond D album, Makeba & Skratch LP and Chi-Ali (OK, probably not a good example, but the beats were dope...) are three that spring to mind. Oh, and I liked that 'United As One' track from that Organized Konfusion 'Equinox' album.

There's a whole load of tape-only stuff too. That Payroll Sampler cassette was pretty amazing...

• ^^^ Same I stilll get sent CDS. So I never have to buy them. Sure some are promo ones with stupoid promo shit spoken all over them & some are edited versions. Or even worse, BBE ones that don't play in my Mac.

The only CDs I buy are mixtape style.

I know people fiend for stuff like Barsha, Class A Felony, Future Sound, etc... that early 90s period when certain labels released only CDs.

I've got that Rykodisc of Schooly D. I bought Schoolly D on everything i could find back then.