WHY ARE THESE CDs SO EXPENSIVE ? (EBAY REL.)

HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I followed these auctions and I cant understand why they are so expensive. Maybe some of you guys know the reason. EBAY CD 1 Skinny Boys And this is absolutley crazy. Ebay CD 2 Steady B Why is that ??PeaceHawkeye

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Those CDs have probably been out of print for almost 20 years

Not unusual

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    ...I cant understand why they are so expensive. Maybe some of you guys know the reason.

ummm, theyre long out of print, and there are people that want them. so the demand raises the prices, just like a shitty private press.

• another reason those CDs are in demand right now is because back in 1996 Steady B and his partner Cool C tried to rob a bank and ended up killing a police woman and getting caught... steady b was sentenced to life in prison and cool c will be executed this coming march 9th... so i can understand a re-emergence in popularity due to this & the amount of people that had overlooked these guys.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I recall a few years ago, already knowing how much the Steady B cd goes for, putting a vinyl copy of that album up for sale on eBay and barely getting $7 for it.

That made no sense to me...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    cool c will be executed this coming march 9th...

the things that people do to bump CD sales are incredible...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    cool c will be executed this coming march 9th...

the things that people do to bump CD sales are incredible...

great pr work is all it takes.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I recall a few years ago, already knowing how much the Steady B cd goes for, putting a vinyl copy of that album up for sale on eBay and barely getting $7 for it.

yeah, you see the vinyl all the time, but the cd? this is really insane...anyone has a "free steady b" t-shirt for me? and a cerious remix 12"? I pay top eurodollar....

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Easy - as previously mentioned, they're out of print - a lot of the generation that was maybe a step younger back then aren't excited by the prospect of vinyl today and only have a CD player; Oliv*r and I mentioned this a while ago, it's partly driven by nostalgia and the aforementioned reason (CD player - no turntable and none forthcoming) - the same forces apply for the debut from Schooly-D (CD issued on Rykodisc) and the Poor Righteous Teachers albums on Profile...

I suspect that the former Landspeed now Traffic Entertainment out of Boston would dearly like to secure some sort of license to reissue these in the wake of their T La Rock/Just-Ice titles...

• and a cerious remix 12"? I pay top eurodollar....

check your pms

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    So how much does the SKINNY BOYS WEIGHTLESS go for on vinyl? I dont remember it on CD.

So how much does the SKINNY BOYS WEIGHTLESS go for on vinyl? I dont remember it on CD.

Just guessing here, $3-6?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Just guessing here, $3-6?

If anyone wants my 5000 piece collection, please holla at me. These recent eBay prices are depressing the hell outta me.

• Most of these old school cds were only pressed in Europe & Japan (e.g. Steady B). Cds weren't pressed in the States at that time (at least not those specific ones). That's why you'll always see Germans/Europeans selling those cds

Most of these old school cds were only pressed in Europe & Japan (e.g. Steady B). Cds weren't pressed in the States at that time (at least not those specific ones). That's why you'll always see Germans/Europeans selling those cds

That doesn't make any sense

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    none of this makes any sense to me. buying CDs is like buying air.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

This doesn't make sense. If they are out of print, there are less copies than people willing to buy them >>>> they are collectible.
    Unless you live in Mexico, Distrito Federal, where air is out of print, I don't get your analogy.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This doesn't make sense. If they are out of print, there are less copies than people willing to buy them >>>> they are collectible.

The thing is that if there is sufficient demand to push the price up, there's also probably sufficient demand for somebody to eventually reissue the title... at which point the value of the CD that you paid $100 for will be reduced to $13.99, unless you are a true obsessive that distinguishes amongst various CD pressings.

Most rap collectors are not interested in vinyl

Unless you live in Mexico, Distrito Federal, where air is out of print, I don't get your analogy.

I hate CDs. You can copy them so easy with no change in sound quality. From crappy to crappy. But if you buy a CD you also get a little 4X4 booklet? Wow. Great. Buying regular CDs is retarded enough, but for $200+, you need some serious counseling IMO.

The thing is that if there is sufficient demand to push the price up, there's also probably sufficient demand for somebody to eventually reissue the title... at which point the value of the CD that you paid $100 for will be reduced to $13.99, unless you are a true obsessive that distinguishes amongst various CD pressings.

Hahaha... yup

Unless there's actual differences in the material on the disc or packaging OGs become pretty much worthless once they get reissued... which for something as popular as Steady B is inevitable

What about the 4 elements, schun? That ain't trooooo skooooooo!!!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I hate CDs. You can copy them so easy with no change in sound quality. From crappy to crappy. But if you buy a CD you also get a little 4X4 booklet? Wow. Great. Buying regular CDs is retarded enough, but for $200+, you need some serious counseling IMO.

F*****s, if you listened to contemporary rap, I'm not so sure you would feel this way--every element of the product, from the packaging to the mastering, is aimed at CD release. A lot of new rap LPs don't even sound right.

or how about buying the LP for $3 and copying to CD?

fucking idiots.

You might wanna hold on to that collection for a minute

At the local rap record spot last night they were telling me they've already got dudes switching back from Serato

fucking idiots.

Folks who don't have record players

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I fuckin hate CDs too, I don't buy CDs, I was just explaining WHY this DOES make sense for poor bastards that collect CDs.

contemporary rap

arent' we talking about steady b, skinny boys, boogie boys, just Ice etc.

what?

Its pretty funny that on here (of all places) people don't understand the attraction to owning the authentic artifact just because its a different medium

And CDRs have a limited lifespan

fucking idiots.

Folks who don't have record players

So you have $500 bucks for two CDs. But you could buy the LPs for $5. Then get a nice TT for $495. And I don't care if you live in Mongolia. There's no excuse for this kind of dumbassness.

You might wanna hold on to that collection for a minute

At the local rap record spot last night they were telling me they've already got dudes switching back from Serato

Interesting. I was on yahoo auctions japan (read jBay) last night looking at random recs that were previously holy grails and they were going for Y1000 which is like $8. If they ain't selling in Japan, where Serato and Rane don't exist for the most part, there not gonna sell anywhere.