Pull Out Your 10" (RR)

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Always found the 10" to be interesting. Can't say I own very many at all. Here were 3 I found near-by:I'm sure fellow strutters have some more interesting 10"'s.And yes,

Comments

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I have a bunch of them, punk bands used to do lots of odd sized vinyl.
    I have 5, 8, 10, and 11 inch records to go with my 7's and 12's. I wanted to do a 10" for my old band, but they were more expensive to press than 12" and we couldn't afford it at the time.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I have a bunch of them, punk bands used to do lots of odd sized vinyl.
    I have 5, 8, 10, and 11 inch records to go with my 7's and 12's. I wanted to do a 10" for my old band, but they were more expensive to press than 12" and we couldn't afford it at the time.
    11" and 5"? Weird.

Come to think of it, I've seen many punk 10"s in record stores. But, were there any soul or funk records in the 10" format? I've never seen any, but I'm not in an area conductive to soul and funk records.

It just seems like such an odd choice. Why not just go for the 12"? Especially if it's more expensive to press in 10".

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i'm too lazy to take pictures...

but
    the Neuilly library label has a whole 10" series
    the Nutsons put out 10"s
    the Harmonic library series
    some European classical music was released on 10"s
    Punk and Noise Core bands
    etc

• I love the 10" format (shameless bump seeing that one of my records is actually pictured above!).
    Done 3 so far, and would really like to continue doing them. The problem is that they cost as much as a 12" to press, and that you can get way more music on a 12".

Aesthtically pleasing though.

Aesthtically pleasing though.
    Definitely!

PS - I had to say it, but I'm listening to Steppenwolf's "Sookie Sookie" which has the lyric "let it hang out baby". I should have chose a better title for the thread

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

• Options

One sider

A friend.

Dear to my heart.

Who got old school rap 10's?

Deadly dub 10.

B side is Freddie McGregor's "Africa HEre I Come" complete with dubs.

Been lucky enough to scare a crates worth of quality 10's.

K in Canada.

The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer.

• Options
    Yeah, the webspace Rogers gives you sucks ass. They should show in an hour or so.

K.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    yea!

hell yea!

oooh yea!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'll play:

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    oooh yea!

still my 10 that gets the most spins

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I have a stack of 10"s, I love 10"s, here's a sampling:

Montreal represent with my Sixtoo 10" singles and testpress + my Kid Koala 10"s and 10" testpress

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

Come to think of it, I've seen many punk 10"s in record stores. But, were there any soul or funk records in the 10" format? I've never seen any, but I'm not in an area conductive to soul and funk records.

I don't know about OG Funk 10", but I have one 10" that Soul Fire put out a few years ago(The Whitfield Brothers - Chokin/Rampage) and I think they did others, or at least planned to before they folded.

It just seems like such an odd choice. Why not just go for the 12"? Especially if it's more expensive to press in 10".

I know that we wanted to do one just because we thought it was cool, we had already made a 7" and it seemed more interesting that making a 12" record. You can also get really good sound quality out of a 10" record pressed at 45RPM.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I have a stack of 10"s, I love 10"s, here's a sampling:

Montreal represent with my Sixtoo 10" singles and testpress + my Kid Koala 10"s and 10" testpress

What record is that w/ the spade? Ive seen it a couple times.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

starting top left
    Billy Taylor Trio
    Ruth Ruth
    AAA/The Criminals
    G Love & Special Sauce
    Chubby Jackson All Stars
    Original Dixieland Jazzband
    Lou Stein Trio
    Cause For Alarm/Warzone
    Basie
    Charles Brown
    Bill Haley
    88 Fingers Louie/Kid Dynamite

• What record is that w/ the spade? Ive seen it a couple times.

Antipop Diagonal Rhyme Gargantuala...(that actually has one of my favorite "art rap" beats ever on the b-side). 10s are the shit.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

What record is that w/ the spade? Ive seen it a couple times.

Antipop Diagonal Rhyme Gargantuala...(that actually has one of my favorite "art rap" beats ever on the b-side). 10s are the shit.

actually, those three are all different, part of a series on Black Hood records, one is AntiPop, one is Sensational and one is Spectre

• whooo.
    nice one!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    my favourite one from last year...

• hell yea!

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

YES.

• new & reissue releases:

only two really old OG's (on lacquer & vinyl):

cheers

• some cheap 78s i've found at garage sales/flea markets:

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Some indie 10 inches I like

• how much did you pay for the Andy Loore?