Do you know who invented the gatefold?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
According to Wikipedia it was none other than my man Enoch Light!"Light was so interested in the sounds of his music that he would include lengthy prose describing each song's sounds. In order to fit all of his descriptions on to the album sleeve, he doubled the size of the sleeve but enabled it to fold like a book, thus inventing the gatefold packaging format. The gatefold sleeve would became extremely popular in later decades, and used on albums such as The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."AND.........."The first of the albums produced on his record label, Command Records, Persuasive Percussion, became the first huge hit based solely on retail sales.[/b] His songs received little or no airplay on the radio, because AM radio, the standard of the day, was monophonic. "Bitchin.

Comments

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    ........but he bit it from Project Blowed.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ........but he bit it from Project Blowed.

Is that joke even still funny???

gimme a minute....

YEP!

Dude...

check this out!

"The Ray Charles Singers (with Charles featured prominently as lead male vocalist) sang the theme song to the television series Three's Company ("Come and Knock on Our Door")."

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Dude...

check this out!

"The Ray Charles Singers (with Charles featured prominently as lead male vocalist) sang the theme song to the television series Three's Company ("Come and Knock on Our Door")."

Thats a great song

• Dude...

check this out!

Not to be presumptuous, but I hope y'all know that there was (is?) a white guy by the name of "Ray Charles" who was pretty well-established in movie/TV music circles when the black R.C. showed up. To add to the confusion, they recorded for the same labels (ABC/Atlantic). When white Ray did a one-off for Atlantic's Atco subsidiary, he was billed as The Other Ray Charles.

So when you see an album on the Command label (ABC subsidiary) by the Ray Charles Singers, know that they are NOT the Raelettes. I know some of you are going "WELL, D'UH!" but, dammit, somebody had to say something!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Dude...

check this out!

Not to be presumptuous, but I hope y'all know that there was (is?) a white guy by the name of "Ray Charles" who was pretty well-established in movie/TV music circles when the black R.C. showed up. To add to the confusion, they recorded for the same labels (ABC/Atlantic). When white Ray did a one-off for Atlantic's Atco subsidiary, he was billed as The Other Ray Charles.

So when you see an album on the Command label (ABC subsidiary) by the Ray Charles Singers, know that they are NOT the Raelettes. I know some of you are going "WELL, D'UH!" but, dammit, somebody had to say something!

If anybody actually thought that ole Ray was singing the lead on Three's Company theme, well... I'd just let them keep thinking that!

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Thanks Diz, Nice tidbits of info... Enoch is

Dude...

check this out!

If anybody actually thought that ole Ray was singing the lead on Three's Company theme, well... I'd just let them keep thinking that!

See, you wait until somebody is really drunk and then bet them that ray charles sang that. bet big. then after you win say "don't ever tet my easy listening gangsta". Then sing EAZY DOES IT in your best lounge voice.

Also, speaking of our conversation yesterday, I highly recommend heading over to SPACE AGE POP. Those are people who take their lounge music seriously. almost.

• . Enoch is

but if you sample his records, and you forget to pay the piper, enoch will have (hand you?) your ass.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Three's Company ("Come and Knock on Our Door")."

Didn't Qbert do somethin crazy with two copies of that or somethin? I recall hearing about it. Does anyone know what show/battle that was??

• . Enoch is

but if you sample his records, and you forget to pay the piper, enoch will have (hand you?) your ass.

he's still alive??

• . Enoch is

he's still alive??

Born
    Aug 18, 1907 in Canton, OH
    Died
    Jul 31, 1978 in New York, NY

I believe someone on here posted that his grandson or something is the one who's big into handing people their ass.

Yeah, AP hangs out with his grandson. And yes, you will get your ass handed to you. I know prince paul sampled him, only because i was about to grab the same guitar lick, and then i heard his song and was like damn.

I'd like to beleive that as experimental and musically wild as enoch was that he would have appreciated sampling. There's no real way to know I guess. I dont know that he ever did any of that tape manipulation shit or anything.

Most of my Lounge/EZ heroes are dead. Which is too bad, because I would have loved to have a beer with a lot of them.

The Lawrence Welk resort is right down the road from me, but I've never been. Larry was kind of a dick, and most of his music sucks.