I have one more TV purchase question

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I think I've boiled it down to these two:Samsung TX-R3079WH 30" Wide SlimFit??? HDTV with Built-In HD Tuner[/b] VS.Samsung TX-R2779H 27" SlimFit??? HDTV w/ Built-In HD Tuner [/b] Here's the question: At this point we're talking about another 3" inches between the two and the larger one being widescreen. Does anyone here know much about or have a preference for widescreen use for HDTV or DVDs that would warrant going all out for the 30"? What's your perspective?

Comments

• regarding DVDs, there are a couple different "widescreen" aspect ratios...what are the dimensions of those TV screens (height, width)?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    regarding DVDs, there are a couple different "widescreen" aspect ratios...what are the dimensions of those TV screens (height, width)?

The 30" has Image Aspect Ratio: 16:9

The 27" has Image Aspect Ratio: 4:3

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Get the 30"!

• Are those DLP? what are you going to be using it for, movies more or tv or sports watchin??

Keep in mind, if you get the widescreen, any programs that aren't broadcast in HD are best watched "cropped" (bars on the side instead of "stretched" to fit the widescreen).

I'd get the widescreen one though.

built in HD-tuner is the shit. you can watch yr local digital tv stations w/ the cheapest of antennas.

• the only problem i see is that broadcast tv is still a few years off from converting to HD. which means when you watch non-HD shows, which are most shows, youll get the black bars on the sides of the TV as opposed to the black bars at the top and bottom like with widescreen format.

the plus side is, i believe HD is in a widescreen ratio so 5 years down the road when all tv is required to broadcast in HD, itll fit perfectly with your TV.

Get the 30"!

I measured last night and realized that I've been rocking a 19" since I was 13 .

In that respect even the 27" will be

But I'm just trying to figure out if I'll regret not going widescreen, immediatly or even a couple of years down the road.

• personally i'd go with the widescreen if you plan on having this for more than a couple years. but i watch far more movies than TV...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I'm just trying to figure out if I'll regret not going widescreen, immediatly or even a couple of years down the road.

You'll regret not going wide screen in about 2 hours after purchase.

Get the 30"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• co-sign Haz and hammertime.

you'll be missing out on the full glory of any HD if you don't get the widescreen.

Are those DLP? what are you going to be using it for, movies more or tv or sports watchin??

I watch all kinds of mess tha tincludes all of the above. I'll even go out of my way to wacth more shows that broadcast in HDTV, just so I can take advantage of it. Most all of my local broadcast stations have programs that are in HD already, so I'm gonna rock that antenna to pick them up, should be nice. But for movies, and HDTV alone, ya'll are saying it would be worth me going 30"?

I can live with the non-HD show bars on the sides of the screen.

Got it. Thanks for the input fellas!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    But for movies, and HDTV alone, ya'll are saying it would be worth me going 30"?

It is worth it & you think you can live with the bars on either side of the screen, but you wont be able to. You'll always say to yourself: "I spent all this money & I have these stupid bars on eith side of the screen & no HDTV."

*EDIT - I am refering to watching DVD's above. On my old 4:3 TV i used to get these stupid quadruple bars. They went away after purchase of wide screen.

• But for movies, and HDTV alone, ya'll are saying it would be worth me going 30"?

It is worth it & you think you can live with the bars on either side of the screen, but you wont be able to. You'll always say to yourself: "I spent all this money & I have these stupid bars on eith side of the screen & no HDTV."

eh, I just think "man, i can't wait 'til everything is HD".

floss y'all tvs or yr soft.

But for movies, and HDTV alone, ya'll are saying it would be worth me going 30"?

eh, I just think "man, i can't wait 'til everything is HD".

Dag...how big is that one?

• You know, I love movies and I'm probably a bigger movie nerd than a record one but I can't fathom spending these hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a TV set. Frankly, I'm cool with my 1985 Sony 21". It's been good to me. I laugh at my roommate whose Sony Wega TV has broke on him once or twice since he got it two years ago whereas mine (with the exception of a blown fuse a few years ago) has been a work horse. Survived 6 moves with me. It's a little worse for wear but it's my baby.

Yo, this TV is the SH*T. Picture perfect HD with the help of a hip indoor antenna, it fills the space perfectly in my place and ended up talking the manager down a little bit on price. Actually got it brand new at Circuit City for less than the price of an "open box" one at Best Buy. Thanks again for all ya'lls advice.

• floss y'all tvs or yr soft.

Yo, this TV is the SH*T. Picture perfect HD with the help of a hip indoor antenna, it fills the space perfectly in my place and ended up talking the manager down a little bit on price. Actually got it brand new at Circuit City for less than the price of an "open box" one at Best Buy. Thanks again for all ya'lls advice.

Congrats. You'll get to see the Mavs take the crown over the Pistons in utmost clarity!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    You know, I love movies and I'm probably a bigger movie nerd than a record one but I can't fathom spending these hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a TV set. Frankly, I'm cool with my 1985 Sony 21". It's been good to me. I laugh at my roommate whose Sony Wega TV has broke on him once or twice since he got it two years ago whereas mine (with the exception of a blown fuse a few years ago) has been a work horse. Survived 6 moves with me. It's a little worse for wear but it's my baby.

I feel you, however the days of old school durable electronics/appliances (think old fridges,ovens, and the ever dependable ostarizer blender) are gone. After ballin back in the day on my panasonic ''3 sec!!!!'' anti skip cd player that lasted 4 years and multiple falls. 3 disckman fucked up in my hands over a 2 year period . Putting plastic pieces instead of metal onpurpose in dishwashers, my mom bought a new fridge and the guy told her.(itll last about 10 years)

Yeah i would feel like a uber consumer buying a huge TV but to each his own.
    Hope this one will last drewn and i must admit it i sweet