Incredible Bongo Band - Bongo Rock OG?

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Sorry for this amateurish question...What was the original pressing of the Incredible Bongo Band - Bongo rock LP? What label was it on? I found a super cheap copy on the MGM label. Is the OG from Belgium? Viner was related to MGM. I can't remember for sure. Is there a pressing that is officially the original?:little dude alert:Thanks.

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Uhm, so the original was on MGM, that's what I can recall, but my question is: "does anyone know how to find out if my copy is the original"? I've seen so many pressings. Some with a shiny silver cover, some grey cover pressings...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Uhm, so the original was on MGM, that's what I can recall, but my question is: "does anyone know how to find out if my copy is the original"? I've seen so many pressings. Some with a shiny silver cover, some grey cover pressings...

I thought silver was us pressing & grey mat was canadian.

• Options
    OG is on Pride.

K.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

I thought silver was us pressing & grey mat was canadian.

wasn't it released in europe first? the copy i found is a european pressing. i can't remember what country though. i'm not at home right now. can't look it up.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    OG is on Pride.

K.

us original? wasn't it a european record first? no original on mgm itself?

• Options
    A european record first? It was made in Vancover, BC, Canada.

K.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    Pride is a Canadian label, right?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    A european record first? It was made in Vancover, BC, Canada.

K.

I didn't even know. I though Viner was from Belgium originally. I never cared too much about the Bongo Rock LP. Never found it before. I never looked it up. So it's a Canadian record. Cool. Thanks a lot. My copy must be an early reissue then. It looks and plays very very good though. I'm happy.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I bought mine, dude said it was an OG:

It's on Pride, silver shiny cover. Pride logo in the bottom right-hand corner. The numbers on the runout are: "PRD 0028 MGS-3274 ROSS #1" on side two it only differs by MGS-3275. I bought mine in Canada.

Hope that helps. I got it for cheap because there was a flaw on the track apache (before the goodness, though!), guy wasn't really in a position to lie about its pressing.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    K's right again - it came out on Pride in Canada first. Pride was an MGM offshoot.

• Options
    Don't tet my gangster.

K in Canada.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

It's on Pride, silver shiny cover. Pride logo in the bottom right-hand corner. The numbers on the runout are: "PRD 0028 MGS-3274 ROSS #1" on side two it only differs by MGS-3275. I bought mine in Canada.

Yeah, that's what they said at my local shop. They sold an original for 150 USD or so. It was the one with the shiny cover. I thought the first press was a Euro one. My bad.

Thanks a lot. You guys rule!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Don't tet my gangster.

K in Canada.

I won't. I have no idea what that means.

• the mgm copy may be german..I have one and it is definately from the same time period..the reissue has the pride label on it.so it may not be an og US press but it ain't a recent reish...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    the mgm copy may be german..I have one and it is definately from the same time period..the reissue has the pride label on it.so it may not be an og US press but it ain't a recent reish...

it's definitely a very early pressing. neither 80s nor 90s reish. it look very nice. the original mgm label and a grey cover with the original artwork (the one from the original pride pressing). no stickers or other additions. it's the first time that i found such an early pressing of bongo rock. i thought it might be the original european pressing. i can't find my copy right now. so i still can't tell where my copy was pressed.

i'm happy. always good to find the classics. some classic records are toughter to find than the so called rare stuff.

• always good to find the classics. some classic records are toughter to find than the so called rare stuff.

I'd put the IBB in the rare category, myself. Just 'cause the deejays used to cut up and sample these records doesn't mean it's gonna turn up in the field all the time (I've never seen the OG Skull Snaps on a regular basis either).

• The OG US issue seems hard to get. Like $100 or more hard to get if it has to be clean and good looking. Anyone know more exactly what it goes for?

I've had two copies on mgm with laminate cover. I'm pretty sure they were German pressings both and that it was stated on the back. But there's probably more different European pressings.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    The OG US issue seems hard to get. Like $100 or more hard to get if it has to be clean and good looking. Anyone know more exactly what it goes for?

I've had two copies on mgm with laminate cover. I'm pretty sure they were German pressings both and that it was stated on the back. But there's probably more different European pressings.

my local shop sold the us original for 100 euros.

the copy i found has no laminated cover. it's the original mgm label though.