Your favorites on Areito?

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited November 2015 in Record Collecting
And how hard are they to come by in you area? For some reason I'm finding a lot of these around here. Currently diggin' "Los Latinos".All participants will receive one of these at the end of the thread:

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I have a 45 by a vocal group called 'los bucaneros' that I like alot.

areito in detroit =

• RezRez 164 Posts
    And how hard are they to come by in you area? For some reason I'm finding a lot of these around here.

Currently diggin' "Los Latinos".

All participants will receive one of these at the end of the thread:

Hey, I live in Brixton, London - these thinga are very hard to dig up over here cos the sun never shines - ever!

I've always enjoyed listenin to these few whenever they've passed thru my hands

1) ARTURO SANDOVAL 'TURI'

2) CHUCHO VALDEZ 'TEMA DE CHAKA'

3) EMILIANO SALVADOR 'NUEVA VISION

4) BOBBY CARCASSES 'AFROJAZZ'

..got any alternative prizes to dem Havana cigars ya holdin, JLR? I only smoke cigars on the days when my children are born - and there definitely ain't gonna be any more children round here - I'm firin blanks thesedays...

Yep - it hurt ...Rez

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I'm currently in love with the Los Tainos LP. I'm going to be playing quite a few Areito cuts on the next Waxing Deep (www.waxingdeep.org) for those interested.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

..got any alternative prizes to dem Havana cigars ya holdin, JLR?

Not by now, but I'm working on it. A friend of friend is in Cuba as we speak. Thing is his brother is doing some kind of physical rehab after a motorcycle accident, and he is there as a support. Anyway, cigars won't be hard to find. Any leads where I should tell him to look for records?

On a side note: according to this guy, Silvio Rodriguez is an asshole and Pablo Milanes is dude. He contacted both, being his brother a fan of the "trova cubana". Silvio won't even return a letter and almost run over he on his truck. Pablo invited them to his house and talk about music for hours. What am I writing this?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

spread the message!

Anyway w/ all the cubans in Miami (myself included) I've managed to score a few loads of areito stuff. I'm running out the door, but I'll post some audio later today.

Some recent faves...

-Los Reyes 73-Same-"Adeoey" is 

-Chucho Valdes-Jazz Bata
    -Juan Formell & Los Van Van (3471) This record gets played @ all family functions.
    -Grupo Experimentacion (3450)...Great record all the way through. Real weird mix of cuban folk/jazz/latin and some dude who sounds like a cuban Leon Thomas. The vocals on the opening track are

more later...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

-Grupo Experimentacion (3450)...Great record all the way through. Real weird mix of cuban folk/jazz/latin and some dude who sounds like a cuban Leon Thomas. The vocals on the opening track are

This one? I recently bought it in Uruguay.

Me likes it.

• Options
    Yuyi
    Emiliano Salvador 2
    Los Reyes '73
    ...many more.

K in Canada.

• juan pablo torres - album with the girl on the cover

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Felipe Dulzaides Y Los Armonicos

• ..got any alternative prizes to dem Havana cigars ya holdin, JLR?

Not by now, but I'm working on it. A friend of friend is in Cuba as we speak. Thing is his brother is doing some kind of physical rehab after a motorcycle accident, and he is there as a support. Anyway, cigars won't be hard to find. Any leads where I should tell him to look for records?

On a side note: according to this guy, Silvio Rodriguez is an asshole and Pablo Milanes is dude. He contacted both, being his brother a fan of the "trova cubana". Silvio won't even return a letter and almost run over he on his truck. Pablo invited them to his house and talk about music for hours. What am I writing this?

interesting. my favorite on areito happens to be silvio rodriguez - mujeres. theyre not too hard to find in california but they usually sound pretty bad.

ps
    dont they call it "nuevo trova"?

• Options

areito in cleveland = realheadz:

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

ps
    dont they call it "nuevo trova"?

mmmm...yes, it's "nueva trova cubana"

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

This one? I recently bought it in Uruguay.

Me likes it.

Whats your opinion on this one

sound similar? I owned it but could not get into it.

• hey jlr. can you explain the plastic-baggie-as-record-sleeve phenomenon in s. america? i hate them things.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    its a ghetto thang

there are plastic bags like this everywhere you get take out soup in them even!

So i guess dealers get them for cheap and place them on the records to make it look 'better'
    i am very frustrated myself

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

never heard that one, but I think it's a serie of 3 records. Only heard the one in my pic. Silvio Rodriguez is doing some vocals there.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    hey jlr. can you explain the plastic-baggie-as-record-sleeve phenomenon in s. america? i hate them things.

Eh, it's a matter of $, I think there were cheaper to manufacture. Funny thing, there are almost no plastic thingies on argentinian records. There are plenty in uruguayan and brazilian pressings though. They were very good at protecting the record from sleeve scuffs, and tey are easy to clean. I like them.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

So i guess dealers get them for cheap and place them on the records to make it look 'better'
    i am very frustrated myself

No, Sir. Records came that way straight outta the pressing plant. If you take a closer look you see they are made of 2 thin cardboard inserts inside the plastic bag.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

never heard that one, but I think it's a serie of 3 records. Only heard the one in my pic. Silvio Rodriguez is doing some vocals there.

Thanks for the info. For me it was a more on the traditional than experimentacion side of things.

it was a series of four ICAIC

? maybe i should not have traded it (i loved that cover)

anyone with these 4 could make a sweet package sale

• -Grupo Experimentacion

I bought their first record thinking it was gonna be dope, because the cover was pretty ill, like a collage of the people's revolution in Cuba. Unfortunately its just blatant communist propaganda garbage, and not even saying good inflamatory rhetoric, just spouts some tepid ideology.
    I can't believe people are riding for Silvio, man I love folk stuff but this dude obviously failed miserably in poetry classes. The lyrics make me want to find this dude a give him a wedgie for being such a whiney douchebag. His records are beyond dollar bin common in PR, I'll pick some up for you guys if interested. And don't get me started on Pablo Milanes, apart form songs like "Tu No Sabes Ingles (You don't know english)" which in premise sounds good (Cubans don't go to America they don't want you there), but is poorley executed because he has no vision.

The only good records I've gotten on Areito are a comp called "Para Bailar" which has one super hot bboy stormer, and a Zaida Arie salsa record that puts La Lupe's whole catalouge to shame (not a hard thing imo). I also have some Orquesta Aragon stuff thats not all that bad. Will have to check some of the records you guys have been mentioning, because it seems overall I've come up on some duds.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Now that I see the cover I remember I left one of these behind because of unlistenable condition.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I can't believe people are riding for Silvio, man I love folk stuff but this dude obviously failed miserably in poetry classes.

Silvio was always a good tool when you wanted to bang left-wingies rich hippies in Buenos Aires

"El unicornio azuuuuul ayer se me perdioooooooooooooo"

• -Grupo Experimentacion

I bought their first record thinking it was gonna be dope, because the cover was pretty ill, like a collage of the people's revolution in Cuba. Unfortunately its just blatant communist propaganda garbage, and not even saying good inflamatory rhetoric, just spouts some tepid ideology.

Hey Roberto, is this the same one I had in the shop for a bit, "Cuba Va!"?

Actually found a home with someone who thought it was the tightest shit ever.

• I can't believe people are riding for Silvio, man I love folk stuff but this dude obviously failed miserably in poetry classes.

whoride.

well, i guess this is the difference. i dont really like folk in any of its varied forms. i just cant be bothered with the heavy handed lyrics. the thing about silvio and the likes is i have no idea what he's saying. the music is good, i just dont have to process the lyrics.

• I don't remember very well, but I think the one you had was different. The one I'm talking about has a white background with the groups name on top in plain black font and then different pictures aranged collage style of the people celebrating in the streets, Che and Fidel on top of the tank, communist murals, and some other stuff. Funny enough its not in pcmr's post, which makes me wonder if it was a comp or repress. I'll see if I still have a jpg at home, I sold it on ebay for like $7 a few months ago.

And as they say one man's trash... plus what do I know I just like latin records from the US

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Cuba va indeed id from the grupo.

www.nuevacancion.net/ges/discog.html is there discog. you have that cuba va cover but cant see the one you are refering to garcia

• I can't believe people are riding for Silvio, man I love folk stuff but this dude obviously failed miserably in poetry classes.

whoride.

well, i guess this is the difference. i dont really like folk in any of its varied forms. i just cant be bothered with the heavy handed lyrics. the thing about silvio and the likes is i have no idea what he's saying. the music is good, i just dont have to process the lyrics.

Haha, sounds like you'll be a hit in Argentina with the lefty hippies anyways!

Hey! Lets talk about how baile funk is awesome because we can't understand the lyrics!

• Cuba va indeed id from the grupo.

www.nuevacancion.net/ges/discog.html is there discog. you have that cuba va cover but cant see the one you are refering to garcia

Man I don't see it on that list either.
    Damn I hope I didn't sell Grupo Experimental raer for chump change!
    but really, I probably had a different later pressing. Now that I think about it, I did listen to "Cuba Va" at Good and remember them being different LPs.

• I sold Cuba Va for $40, and it took a while. Hope that was a fair price, I liked it.