Is Gaston on Hotlanta really that good?

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I know the Lp goes for loot, but is the 7" single with My Queen b/w Clock in the two best tracks?Breaks?Do I want this?Will it break if mailed from the UK?Should I ask the seller to wrap it in the weekend newspaper to ensure sturdiness?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    You didn't catch the upload of this in Real Headz?

It didn't do much for me on the first listen--I'll give it another listen perhaps.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I posted this LP in the 1st generation of realheadz. I no longer have it on my computer but I'm sure others do (SG, Bapt) I like the album, but I don't know if I $300-$400 like it

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I listen to the old RH MP3 fairly often.
    I want the vinyl, didn't know it was a $300-$400 LP, tho.

I would pay alot for it, but not that much.

I can re-up it in if you'd like.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah, if you could re-up it that would be much appreciated, except i don't have access to the real headZ forum because I'm not dildo enough... or something.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I'd eat a chili cheese choco taco supreme turd at taco bell and dig a Gaston up my butt for4 bills and it would be worth the bills in moder soul I believe excuse me though cuz I'm fuckin wasted

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Dude I'm bored at work. Hour #14 on my 18th straight day on the job.

Give me more clown

Adam- I just got back from a show, and goddamn if my friends ex wasn't flirting with me and super hot and just my type to boot. Seriously though, whats a guy supposed to do? Argh!!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Adam- I just got back from a show, and goddamn if my friends ex wasn't flirting with me and super hot and just my type to boot. Seriously though, whats a guy supposed to do? Argh!!!

WW D?

POKE IT OUT YO?

I AM SAYIN THOUGH

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    POKE IT OUT YO?

I AM SAYIN THOUGH

Fuck yeah. and doers do it twice.

• I know the Lp goes for loot, but is the 7" single with My Queen b/w Clock in the two best tracks?

Breaks?

Do I want this?

Will it break if mailed from the UK?

Should I ask the seller to wrap it in the weekend newspaper to ensure sturdiness?

That single doesn't do much for me, but then I'm still not that heavy into the modern sounds. I don't have the album but have it on good authority that every copy of the 45 ever mailed to the US from the UK has been broken. It's a pretty heavy piece of vinyl too, as memory serves. Luckily, my 45 was purchased in Atlanta. That said, I totalled my car while driving it home but the record remained in tact, quite luckily.

All I know is that it's not worth the price of an insurance deductable.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The group is from Gastonia NC, but they're on a label called Hotlanta thats based in Tennessee

I'm lost

• I know the Lp goes for loot, but is the 7" single with My Queen b/w Clock in the two best tracks?

Breaks?

Do I want this?

Will it break if mailed from the UK?

the lp is good easily worth a couple hundred american dollars, maybe 3.

this record isn't about the breaks, if you want sample fodder there is some on here. nice moodyloop intros and whatnot.

standout tunes are the 10:00 minute long "clap song" (which is why the money goes high on this) next you have magnificent choo choo, fantasy garden, clock in, my queen are all good examples of jazz funk/disco funk. the only tune that will work at parties/clubs is really clap song. for downtempo/sweet soul you have my dreams & love and affection. i used to not care too much about these tunes, but in the last year or so they have easily become my favorites.

from what i gather this lp smokes the 80's one.

• The group is from Gastonia NC, but they're on a label called Hotlanta thats based in Tennessee

I'm lost

Spoke to a band member about this - fairly unhelpful. They were from Gastonia, they recorded in Atlanta and I am under the impression that the TN address is the distributor. That said, this label design is totally unlike any other record I've seen on the usual Hotlanta label.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

dude - it's gonna happen if you keep wearing that Radar O'Riley hat. Chicks can't help it.

• The group is from Gastonia NC, but they're on a label called Hotlanta thats based in Tennessee

I'm lost

Spoke to a band member about this - fairly unhelpful. They were from Gastonia, they recorded in Atlanta and I am under the impression that the TN address is the distributor. That said, this label design is totally unlike any other record I've seen on the usual Hotlanta label.

do you know of any other good stuff on hotlanta?

• I'm pretty sure it's not the Georgia label as it's a Charles Howe production. Howe was based in Nashville and was later aka "Chocolate Cholly". For whatever it's worth, I don't understand the high value of any of the Gaston stuff. If anyone's interested in nice copies of either of the albums, get at me.

• do you know of any other good stuff on hotlanta?

In a word, no. I guess the Dee Ervin and Joe Hinton are notable, and I'd have to listen to a lot of that stuff again to really remember what it sounds like but everything on that label made little to no impression on me at the time. The Gastonia is clearly the best of the lot. The Traveler and Joe Graham singles are particularly lackluster. But again, the big caveat here is that I don't listen to much soul from the 80s so your milage may vary.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I like the Jimmy Lewis Totally Involved LP, but it might not be
    to everyone's taste.

...and on the Gaston, I'm generally feelin' the downtempo
    stuff more than the dance trax - "My Dream" is probably my personal fav.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

I like the Jimmy Lewis Totally Involved LP, but it might not be
    to everyone's taste.

...and on the Gaston, I'm generally feelin' the downtempo
    stuff more than the dance trax - "My Dream" is probably my personal fav.

Never really felt that Jimmy Lewis LP. If anyone's looking for it, hollr at me.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I think the Jimmy Lewis and Gaston are on two different Hotlanta labels

• there's a lot of questions in this thread and they all could have been answered with 'no.'