American Idol...

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Who's watching it? It seems better than past seasons, although I missed nearly all of season three. I think when they cut 24 down to 12 it could be very entertaining, with all solid talent. Wasn't that way in the first season. I suppose they're drawing from a bigger talent pool than before.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Who's watching it? It seems better than past seasons, although I missed nearly all of season three. I think when they cut 24 down to 12 it could be very entertaining, with all solid talent. Wasn't that way in the first season. I suppose they're drawing from a bigger talent pool than before.

The wife and I have been watching. There's some really interesting people in this year's competition, at least amongst the women so far. Here's our predictions:

Ayla Brown aka the basketball player: Surprisingly good voice but not much in the personality dept. Could make the final six but probably not.

Becky O'Donahue aka the looker: SHe's got sulty model looks but no real stage presence. She's gone - not this week but maybe next.

Brenna Gathers aka the bitch: Attitude like a MFer but she makes Kanye seem humble and she preens way too much. My wife noted, "gay men would love her" but I think most women and many men would find her far too annoying. She won't make the cut.

Heather Cox aka the boring blond: She's gone after this week. Guaranteed.

Katherine McPhee aka the voice: She's got a great voice (though I think the judges give it more love than it deserves). SHe also looks like the actress from "Prison Break." Anyways, she'll make the cut, no question.

Kellie Pickler aka the hard luck story: Unless she fucks up royally, she'll make the final 6 and beyond. Personally, she's getting by way more on her looks, charm and backstory than an actual voice but the competition needed a Carrie Underwood clone and Kellie fits that spot perfectly.

Kinnick Sky aka the statue: Elegant, regal, decent voice...but a bit staid and not nearly as interesting as the other Black women in the competition who sing similar songs. I don't think she'll make the cut.

Lisa Tucker aka the cute one: I can't see as a pop icon but she's insanely charming as a 16 year old and has a ridiculously great voice. She'll make the cut but as wife noted: "she's this year's Anwar."

Mandisa aka the big girl: She's got more stage presence in her left eyelash than half the other women in the competition. She'll make the cut but I think we'll need to see her to quiet and intimate instead of loud and brassy all the time.

Melissa McGhee aka the mystery: She barely racked up any time in the shows leading up to now. I don't think she's that great but she can sing ok and she might sneak into the 6th spot. I can't see her staying around long though.

Paris Bennett aka the phenom: She's our favorite, a 17 year old who carries herself on stage like someone at least 10 years older. She's so polished and self-confident. It doesn't hurt that her grandmother was in Sounds of Blackness. Personally, I don't know if America is going to carry her through to the very end but she's got the most raw talent of anyone in the mix.

Stevie Scott aka the stick: She's done, over, finis. Her voice and performance are as slight as her figure.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

The wife and I have been watching. There's some really interesting people in this year's competition, at least amongst the women so far. Here's our predictions:

Ayla Brown aka the basketball player: Surprisingly good voice but not much in the personality dept. Could make the final six but probably not.

Becky O'Donahue aka the looker: SHe's got sulty model looks but no real stage presence. She's gone - not this week but maybe next.

Brenna Gathers aka the bitch: Attitude like a MFer but she makes Kanye seem humble and she preens way too much. My wife noted, "gay men would love her" but I think most women and many men would find her far too annoying. She won't make the cut.

Katherine McPhee aka the voice: She's got a great voice (though I think the judges give it more love than it deserves). SHe also looks like the actress from "Prison Break." Anyways, she'll make the cut, no question.

Kellie Pickler aka the hard luck story: Unless she fucks up royally, she'll make the final 6 and beyond. Personally, she's getting by way more on her looks, charm and backstory than an actual voice but the competition needed a Carrie Underwood clone and Kellie fits that spot perfectly.

Kinnick Sky aka the statue: Elegant, regal, decent voice...but a bit staid and not nearly as interesting as the other Black women in the competition who sing similar songs. I don't think she'll make the cut.

Lisa Tucker aka the cute one: I can't see as a pop icon but she's insanely charming as a 16 year old and has a ridiculously great voice. She'll make the cut but as wife noted: "she's this year's Anwar."

Mandisa aka the big girl: She's got more stage presence in her left eyelash than half the other women in the competition. She'll make the cut but I think we'll need to see her to quiet and intimate instead of loud and brassy all the time.

Melissa McGhee aka the mystery: She barely racked up any time in the shows leading up to now. I don't think she's that great but she can sing ok and she might sneak into the 6th spot. I can't see her staying around long though.

Paris Bennett aka the phenom: She's our favorite, a 17 year old who carries herself on stage like someone at least 10 years older. She's so polished and self-confident. It doesn't hurt that her grandmother was in Sounds of Blackness. Personally, I don't know if America is going to carry her through to the very end but she's got the most raw talent of anyone in the mix.

Stevie Scott aka the stick: She's done, over, finis. Her voice and performance are as slight as her figure.

At least you're connected to something.

I keeps it real.

Want to hear my Project Runway handicapping?

Just to show I'm still out in the streets though:
    http://o-dub.com/photos/myblock

• I was forced into watching an episode last week
    but Paris is definitely the best of the whole group. If this was based on talent, she'd win.

I keeps it real.

Please tell me that Jazzbo isn't your chaperone to the streets.

Looks like y'all made an appointment.

• Want to hear my Project Runway handicapping?

Daniel V. 2 to 1
    Santino 7 to 2
    Chloe 4 to 1

Joey was in town to do the Bay Area My Block so this was an excuse to 1) hang out with a friend and 2) visit Vallejo for purposes other than record shopping and 3) collect material for my next Oakland Trib column.

In any case, dude's a lot more connected to the streets than I am. But that, of course, is not saying much. Though I did just interview Jazzy Jim the other day: I had no idea that dude controls Mistah F.A.B.'s catalog. (Former) mobile DJs represent!

You are disconnected from the fashion industry.

I usually find out about Runway shit a week or two before it happens.

- an industry insider

Daniel V. 2 to 1
    Santino 7 to 2
    Chloe 4 to 1

I'd buy that except I'd put Chloe ahead of Santino.

Joey was in town to do the Bay Area My Block

Does Sway host this one too?

If so, did he ask necessary questions such as:

What does it mean when you throw up a peace sign?

and

That's a car, right?

???

Joey was in town to do the Bay Area My Block

Does Sway host this one too?

If so, did he ask necessary questions such as:

What does it mean when you throw up a peace sign up?

and

That's a car, right?

???

Oof. Not that you're wrong though.

And yeah, Sway's up in this one, after taking a "sick-out" from the Memphis episode.

Daniel V. 2 to 1
    Santino 7 to 2
    Chloe 4 to 1

I'd buy that except I'd put Chloe ahead of Santino.

Originally, I had her above Santino, but after last week when the emphasis moved to their entire fashion line and away from "Can you do this one specific challenge," I gave the edge to Santino. I think he can put together something impressive. He'll never be Mr. Conservative, but left to his own devices, I think Santino could do something cool and cohesive in the finals- his vision is his strength.

• Who's watching it? It seems better than past seasons, although I missed nearly all of season three. I think when they cut 24 down to 12 it could be very entertaining, with all solid talent. Wasn't that way in the first season. I suppose they're drawing from a bigger talent pool than before.

The wife and I have been watching.

It does seem better this season. And I dig the guy with
    the grey hair. he's the long shot (or no shot), but with simon
    so against him, people are bound to sympathize and maybe
    even vote...

god I hate myself, I so should have somthing better to do...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    After the tryouts I completely lose interest in this show. Perhaps I'm still living in the past but I remember the first three seasons they would sing just horrible songs (how many times did I hear Over The Rainbow) that either their parents picked for them, or it was a really, REALLY bad list the show gave them to pick from. That and them doing a country night and a Neil Sedaka night just killed it for me. Besides watching all the people who can't sing is funnier and more entertaining than watching people who can actually sing over and over in a show like this.

• After the tryouts I completely lose interest in this show. Perhaps I'm still living in the past but I remember the first three seasons they would sing just horrible songs (how many times did I hear Over The Rainbow)
    how many times has "ain't no mountain" been butchered on that show?

After the tryouts I completely lose interest in this show. Perhaps I'm still living in the past but I remember the first three seasons they would sing just horrible songs (how many times did I hear Over The Rainbow)
    how many times has "ain't no mountain" been butchered on that show?

I tell you, at first I thought it was the parents picking songs, because who would pick a Wizard of Oz tune except for someon from the Baby Boomers. But now I think it's just a horrible list the show has put together that all the contestants have to pick from.

• Want to hear my Project Blowed[/b] handicapping?

• Who's watching it? It seems better than past seasons, although I missed nearly all of season three. I think when they cut 24 down to 12 it could be very entertaining, with all solid talent. Wasn't that way in the first season. I suppose they're drawing from a bigger talent pool than before.

damn, O. props on your time management. i don't watch any tv and i still don't find time to do half the writing/studying/other shit I need to.

• I tell you, at first I thought it was the parents picking songs, because who would pick a Wizard of Oz tune except for someon from the Baby Boomers. But now I think it's just a horrible list the show has put together that all the contestants have to pick from.

Well, the contestants can't sing just any song they want to. The show has to have permission from the people who own publishing rights to songs in order to use them on the air. If the person who owns the publishing says no then the contestant is shit out of luck. So, only songs the show can get cleared can be used.

• I keeps it real.

damn here I was thinking Vallejo was all about dope hyphy music.

apparently it's like the clever tee-shirt showcase of the whole bay area.

I tell you, at first I thought it was the parents picking songs, because who would pick a Wizard of Oz tune except for someon from the Baby Boomers. But now I think it's just a horrible list the show has put together that all the contestants have to pick from.

Well, the contestants can't sing just any song they want to. The show has to have permission from the people who own publishing rights to songs in order to use them on the air. If the person who owns the publishing says no then the contestant is shit out of luck. So, only songs the show can get cleared can be used.

Good point. Still, Over the Rainbow???!?!?!!!

I'm actually watching this show and the first two guys were crap.

The first guy picked the wrong song and sounded like shit. Didn't sound like he could really carry a song. Voice wasn't strong enough.

The second guy, the Crooner, looks like someone mocking a lounge act. Fucking ridiculous.

Do these guys have a chance against the women?

• I tell you, at first I thought it was the parents picking songs, because who would pick a Wizard of Oz tune except for someon from the Baby Boomers. But now I think it's just a horrible list the show has put together that all the contestants have to pick from.

Dude, "Over The Rainbow" is a standard that everybody knows and it shows off the vocal range and control well. There's a reason the song has endured for 60+ years. That, and it's a dramatic song and lots of the singers like the really emotional songs, they can really wring that overwrought emotion out of the song. It gets a bit tiresome hearing some of the same songs over and over, especially when it's a song closely identified with a specific artist, but I can understand why they pick such songs.

Really though, Judy Garland pretty much killed it when she did the song in 1938, and Eva Cassidy managed to make the song her own when she covered it, but those are exceptional singers and most of the people on American Idol aren't going to dominate a song and make it their own.

Dude, "Over The Rainbow" is a standard that everybody knows and it shows off the vocal range and control well. There's a reason the song has endured for 60+ years. That, and it's a dramatic song and lots of the singers like the really emotional songs, they can really wring that overwrought emotion out of the song. It gets a bit tiresome hearing some of the same songs over and over, especially when it's a song closely identified with a specific artist, but I can understand why they pick such songs.

Really though, Judy Garland pretty much killed it when she did the song in 1938, and Eva Cassidy managed to make the song her own when she covered it, but those are exceptional singers and most of the people on American Idol aren't going to dominate a song and make it their own.

You have much more respect for that song than I do.

More crap. This guy singing the Jackson 5 is shit. Do these people not know what they sound like? Simon is the ONLY person on this panel that seems to know what's good. He's laying it down.

The rocker dude was the only one that's done good so far.