Overseas deejaying (Japan?_

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Hey guys, I know we definetly got some big dudes running wild across the globe so I'd figure I'd ask: What should I know about brininging records over seas (I'm going to Japan)? Is it expenisve? What kind of case should I bring? I'll be traveling to a few cities so should I beware of something in addition? Would be more worth to just buy Serato?LastlyWhat rocks the Japanese hip-hop clubs? I won't be playing the thugged-out "harlem world" wannabee clubs but I'll still be playing at spots where it's still a club though (I'm aiming to play "feel-good rap" shit, raers, disco, house etc..) or does it even matter and I should "do me"?einstein? chan? sheep?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    There's basically two kinds of Japanese hip hop crowds, NYC wannabe dudes that wanna here the new Mobb Deep. Then there's the backpacker/hippie/headwrap chic set that will check for some underground shit, roots reggae & some nu-soul.

On the more obscure tip, you got the "westside" gang. Cat's who are into psuedo-gangbanging and wanna rep their sets with appropriate blue rag / red rag cuts that get them hyped, but in a "can we all just get along?" kinda way. --- lot of these cats in Kansai.

• backshots

• Then there's the backpacker/hippie/headwrap chic set that will check for some underground shit, roots reggae & some nu-soul.

that's pretty much the shows we're playing. sprinkle in some more house or broken beat and we siz-et.

drop science though.

Then there's the backpacker/hippie/headwrap chic set that will check for some underground shit, roots reggae & some nu-soul.

that's pretty much the shows we're playing. sprinkle in some more house or broken beat and we siz-et.

drop science though.

definitely rock some local shit. some classic Moomin, pushim, jet bi, etc on the reggae tip. Anything on the Jazzysport label will do that thang. Dj Mitsu fo sho.
    Some classic J-hop, rhymster, nitro microphone underground, the blue harb...

you'll be in there.

• Latino Velbet & Ballplaya

• make sure you tell everyone you are "NEW-HAFU" this will ensure you get the veggie option.

what cities are you hitting?

• Then there's the backpacker/hippie/headwrap chic set that will check for some underground shit, roots reggae & some nu-soul.

drop science though.

definitely rock some local shit. some classic Moomin, pushim, jet bi, etc on the reggae tip. Anything on the Jazzysport label will do that thang. Dj Mitsu fo sho.
    Some classic J-hop, rhymster, nitro microphone underground, the blue harb...

you'll be in there.

yeah definetly the jazzy sport dudes. The cat I'm going with he toured with them last year and mitsu did a remix 12'' for him, so it would just make sense.

aside from the reggae, I think I'm on the same page as far as crowds go.

thanks, $-Less

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    get money young

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    You guys need a roadie?!?!?!?!

I ain't ever been but I'd say play out some joints that are local and as far as the rest - just do you...

• What should I know about brininging records over seas (I'm going to Japan)? Is it expenisve? What kind of case should I bring? I'll be traveling to a few cities so should I beware of something in addition? Would be more worth to just buy Serato?

A lot more dudes are bringin Serato these days, and CDs for some house guys.
    I've heard a handfull of stories of lost/stolen records + the pain/expense of hauling shit over...might want to consider Serato.

Set wise though, I think whatever you do you, you'll find a good reaction. Crowds here pretty much always up for it.

Do you know the names of the places you're playing?

• fatman scoop! crooklyn clan!
    fatman scoop! crooklyn clan!
    fatman scoop! crooklyn clan!
    crooklyn clan! crooklyn clan! ( OH OHHH!)

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Hey guys, I know we definetly got some big dudes running wild across the globe so I'd figure I'd ask: What should I know about brininging records over seas (I'm going to Japan)? Is it expenisve? What kind of case should I bring? I'll be traveling to a few cities so should I beware of something in addition? Would be more worth to just buy Serato?

Lastly

What rocks the Japanese hip-hop clubs? I won't be playing the thugged-out "harlem world" wannabee clubs but I'll still be playing at spots where it's still a club though (I'm aiming to play "feel-good rap" shit, raers, disco, house etc..) or does it even matter and I should "do me"?

einstein? chan? sheep?

Phonics,

What it do young hommie? You can play almost anything in the clubs in Japan. The crowds are very open minded and kids want to dance and have a good time. I was at Club Nuts (no homo) in Shibuya with Muro and the crew in July and fools were playing all kinds of shit. Night started at 9PM and went til 5AM! 9 djs in the main room with a lounge upstairs where cats were playin' dancehall. Kid that was on before Muro did a early 90s R&B set and the crowd was open. Everyone was dancing and it was a real cool vibe. Then at like 1:45AM Muro went on and did a 90 minute set of all 45s. Old soul joints, funk, hip-hop etc. This fool was rockin' doubles of all kinds of joints. He would double up funk breaks and his crew would rap over them in Japanese. Kid that went on after Muro started with Gwen McCrae "All this love that I'm givin'." Real dope club night. I was drinking Havana club Cuban rum all night. Ran into the hommie Miles from Breakestra at the club as well.
    What cities are you going to? Who are you touring with? All the Japanese cats I know are anti Serato/MP3, they all still rock vinyl at all the clubs. But since you are flying over there and are travelling, I would take Serato. Hauling mad vinyl aroud Japan would be a real bitch, but the hommie Ca$h Money did it for years and made it happen. Have a good time! Japan is so dope. I wish I was there now. I'll be going at the end of the year for New Year's.

Muro, Big Chan and the crew - 4AM posse in Shibuya July 2005

• muro and your pantalons are cracking me up...
    floodz vs raggedy ann... nice dynamic!
    *i'm not one to talk. preme said i looked like a mass murderer when he was up in van the other week... time for a hair cut i guess...

• Hey guys, I know we definetly got some big dudes running wild across the globe so I'd figure I'd ask: What should I know about brininging records over seas (I'm going to Japan)? Is it expenisve? What kind of case should I bring? I'll be traveling to a few cities so should I beware of something in addition? Would be more worth to just buy Serato?

Lastly

What rocks the Japanese hip-hop clubs? I won't be playing the thugged-out "harlem world" wannabee clubs but I'll still be playing at spots where it's still a club though (I'm aiming to play "feel-good rap" shit, raers, disco, house etc..) or does it even matter and I should "do me"?

einstein? chan? sheep?

Phonics,

What it do young hommie? You can play almost anything in the clubs in Japan. The crowds are very open minded and kids want to dance and have a good time. I was at Club Nuts (no homo) in Shibuya with Muro and the crew in July and fools were playing all kinds of shit. Night started at 9PM and went til 5AM! 9 djs in the main room with a lounge upstairs where cats were playin' dancehall. Kid that was on before Muro did a early 90s R&B set and the crowd was open. Everyone was dancing and it was a real cool vibe. Then at like 1:45AM Muro went on and did a 90 minute set of all 45s. Old soul joints, funk, hip-hop etc. This fool was rockin' doubles of all kinds of joints. He would double up funk breaks and his crew would rap over them in Japanese. Kid that went on after Muro started with Gwen McCrae "All this love that I'm givin'." Real dope club night. I was drinking Havana club Cuban rum all night. Ran into the hommie Miles from Breakestra at the club as well.
    What cities are you going to? Who are you touring with? All the Japanese cats I know are anti Serato/MP3, they all still rock vinyl at all the clubs. But since you are flying over there and are travelling, I would take Serato. Hauling mad vinyl aroud Japan would be a real bitch, but the hommie Ca$h Money did it for years and made it happen. Have a good time! Japan is so dope. I wish I was there now. I'll be going at the end of the year for New Year's.

Muro, Big Chan and the crew - 4AM posse in Shibuya July 2005

Word up and thanks for the excellent description. I think I'll be okay now that all of you guys have re-assured me that cats just want "up tempo" or good feeling music. I've heard about some great things on how open and up on music folks are in Japan and there club scene

As far as traveling I'll probally just bring one record bag as a carry-on. I'm aware of records being stolen/damaged/lost etc.

As far as cities I'm not sure but I'll probally mention it for all the Japanesse strutters.