Vanilla Ice: Co-creator of modern Hip-hop?

DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I saw this in the Washington Post, just a surreal Q&A. Vanilla Q&A Check out this question:
Washington, D.C.: I've always felt that you played an oft-overlooked role in creating modern hip-hop music, insofar as you were an early defender of sampling at a time that it was felt to be something akin to plagiarism. Indeed, your defense of using such a similar hook to the one in "Under Pressure" is almost legendary.Do you ever feel that your contributions are unfairly disregarded?Vanilla Ice: Yes.I did more so in like a few years ago and right after Ice Ice Baby hit there was a big backlash. The record sold more than I ever predicted -- no one could've expected it. I was a target at the time and didn't know why. You also had the New Kids and the Backstreet Boys and I was thrown by the image that was created around me into being a novelty act and it took the credibility away from me.I was influenced by the same musicians as other rap artists, so there is no difference expect the visuals.I'm over it now, though, and I feel I've been vindicated by the success of my last three records.
What's going on here? And what exactly does his answer mean?

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I can't remember right now. Didn't Chuck D try to sign Ice before he became famous?

I wonder what would have happened then?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I can't remember right now. Didn't Chuck D try to sign Ice before he became famous?

Answer: he would have been the fourth membrer of 3rd Bass.

Lawd have mercy...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Waaaaitamiiiinute. I thought Blowfly created hip-hop!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

haha.

• Bow down to the significance of Ice Ice Baby.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What I don't get is how Vanilla Ice defending sampling made him some kind of innovator. The logic evades me.

• I can't remember right now. Didn't Chuck D try to sign Ice before he became famous?

I thought henry rollins was the 4th member of 3rd bass cuz' the weasel goes pop.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Answer: he would have been the fourth membrer of 3rd Bass. Fifth Memeber of Young Black Teenagers

• Vanilla Ice didn't even make the beats. it was that other cat that was friends with Suge which led to Vanilla being hung out a hotel window. Message to Vanilla, give credit where credit is due, or suge will get you.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I've been vindicated by the success of my last three records.

Smokin' more crack than J-Swift.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    What I don't get is how Vanilla Ice defending sampling made him some kind of innovator. The logic evades me.

How did he defend sampling by claiming that the bassline from Ice Ice Baby wasn't a sample but something that was played differently?

Y'all surely remember the classic interview where he was like...

Theirs goes da da da du da du da. Mine goes da DA da du da du da.

I've always kinda felt bad for the dude. And all that shit he got slammed for back in the day is celebrated now. P Diddy got rich off of doing the same shit as Vanilla. That dude is permanently messed up in the head.

For the record though, Cool As Ice is the GREATEST MOVIE EVAR. I strongly reccomend getting shitfaced and watching it with your closest of friends.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    How did he defend sampling by claiming that the bassline from Ice Ice Baby wasn't a sample but something that was played differently?

That interview was classic material. "It's not the same bassline!"

• What I don't get is how Vanilla Ice defending sampling made him some kind of innovator. The logic evades me.

no no. you fools have it all wrong. the ice man said

"there's goes like da da da da du da da. mine's is like da da da da du da da DA[/b]"

pssssshhhhh.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

with the ragtop down so my hair can blow

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I've always kinda felt bad for the dude. And all that shit he got slammed for back in the day is celebrated now. P Diddy got rich off of doing the same shit as Vanilla.

You know this isn't true, Dizz

I've always kinda felt bad for the dude. And all that shit he got slammed for back in the day is celebrated now. P Diddy got rich off of doing the same shit as Vanilla.

You know this isn't true, Dizz

well maybe not totally true, but nobody since then has ever gotten slammed as hard as he did. Have you ever seen Cool As Ice?

• Anyone see him freak out multiple times on Surreal Life? Dude seriously thought that some reality show full of hasbeens was the proper platform for him to defend himself. Dude is a total choad.

• with the ragtop down so my hair can blow

..and look, theres the girlies on standby !!!

Anyone see him freak out multiple times on Surreal Life? Dude seriously thought that some reality show full of hasbeens was the proper platform for him to defend himself. Dude is a total choad.

It was his only platform....