Recommend me some good French vocal music

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Jane Birkin, Francoise Hardy, Serge. What else is out there?

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    don't hate me, but i like some songs on mireille mathieu's - endirect de l'olympia

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I'm digging the new generation....

Keren Ann

Benjamin Biolay

Coralie Cl??ment

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Those girls are purty. Im buying my plane ticket tommorow.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Aznavour... not so good finally.
    Brel was Belgian.

I'd say L??o Ferr??, Colette Magny, George Brassens, Yves Montand, Mama B??a Tekielski, Jean Gabin............... and don't forget Michel Jonasz.

• I'm digging the new generation....

Keren Ann

Benjamin Biolay

Coralie Cl??ment

Aser did you see my PM ?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I'm digging the new generation....

Keren Ann

Coralie Cl??ment

never fails to amaze me how incredibly attractive french female singers usually are.

• Areski / B.Fontaine any Savannah label folk (Leo Ferre Etc.).
    Deep, Non Pussy shit.

• French artists = they love cigarettes

I like Jaques Dutronc although he can be very very corny sometimes

/L

• could she be included here ?

• nino ferrer & jacques dutronc

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

could she be included here ?

I don't know, but I would have her babies

• and this one

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    early veronique samson
    the greats:ferre,brassens,brel,montand,reggiani,ferrat
    les grandes dames: dalida,barbara,catherine lara,
    ladadidada

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    i heart that sylvie vartan lp with the "walgreen's" sign behind her
    her version of "monkey time" kills it !

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    early veronique samson
    ladadidada

this is pretty heavy stuff to throw at someone just checking our Serge and Francois Hardy... that is to say that stuff is really FRENCH... like, i dig Jean Ferrat, but most people, french or not, under the age of 40 aren't gonna be that down with him...

i would say if you are just getting into french music thru Serge (the path most of us who aren't french take) and did that kinda mellow, sophisticated vibe, i would say, next check out:

jacques dutronc- any comp, as long as it has "Les Cactus", "Les Responsables", "et moi et moi et moi","estons Fran??ais, Soyons Gaulois" ...he's alot more rocking and less mellow than Serge, but not in a kinda corny Eddie Mitchell/Johnny Hallyday way... just a cool charector...

france gall: anything that has her stuff from between 64-68... just look for Gainsbourg's name in the writing credits... her little girl voice really gets on some people's nerves, but it kinda grows on ya...

marie laforet: any greatest hits comp with "manchester et liverpool" ...definitely close to Francois Hardy on the half 60's folk, half chanson vibe... very laid back and cool, reminds me of a french Astrud Gilberto...

• I would say this is my favorite french artist I know of. He's very Dylan/Donovan like with a couple of fuzz rockers thrown in on his albums. I've been warned to stay away from any of his records where he is sportin' a stash.
    Co-sign on the Dutronc as well!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    thanks for the suggestions. i'll be checking out all these artists, but i would say the next logical progression from serge/hardy would make the most sense for me.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    early veronique samson
    ladadidada

this is pretty heavy stuff to throw at someone just checking our Serge and Francois Hardy... that is to say that stuff is really FRENCH... like, i dig Jean Ferrat, but most people, french or not, under the age of 40 aren't gonna be that down with him...

france gall: anything that has her stuff from between 64-68... just look for Gainsbourg's name in the writing credits... her little girl voice really gets on some people's nerves, but it kinda grows on ya...

I guess you're right. But in gall vein samson would be a great listen also. Piano folk, great voice

• Check out Claude Nougaro & Michel Jonasz if you like jazzy vocals.