native american psychedelic music

autezautez 404 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
hi i'm thinking about doing a research paper on native american psychedelic music for my american indian studies class. i was wondering if anybody had any recommended titles or websites on the subject. i dont know how much of this stuff exists so i might end up just doing it on native american music around the time of relocation. i was also thinking about doing a mixtape of native american songs and handing that in with my paper as well as playing some songs during my presentation. your input is appreciated

Comments

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    i'm not aware of any straight pysch lps but there's quite a few funky rock groups out there.

• that jim pepper rekkid on embryo is a bit psyched out, no?

• i'm not aware of any straight pysch lps but there's quite a few funky rock groups out there.

Redbone, Xit, Silver Bird? Wow I can't think of more off the top.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    not psych, but this guy might be of interest

http://waxidermy.com/2006/02/01/alexander-longrifle-best-of/

• Many diffrent Native American drum styles are psychadelic to me.....

• great hard psych album made by jd blackfoot, who happens to be native american.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    There is at least one Folkways field recording of a Native American Peyote Ceremony. I'm guessing that this is not what you have in mind.

• AlExAnDeR LoNgRiFiLe

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    That Cheyenne's Coming LP is of Native American origin no? Not totally psyche per se, more funky, but I've seen bigger stretches of that genre tag.

• A. Paul Ortega is also not psych but highly recommended.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I have a Folkways LP called "An Historical Album of Blackfoot Indian Music" if you need it (which you probably don't).

• Floyd Westerman?

He had an album on Perception in 1970 titled Custer Died For Your Sins.

• Princess Nowedonah on Folkways

Not psychedelic but good unique shit

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The Lincoln St. Exit on Mainstream, which later evolved into XIT is a well known American Indian psych group.

My personal fave is an LP on the Canyon label by Bruce Hamana titled "Hamana". Quicksilver sounding west coast psych with a unique guitar style. Last time I looked there was a copy on Gemm for $800.00.

On the garage side there are a few bands like The Fabulous Thunderbirds on the Red Feather label. Meet The Mysterians and The Hopi Klansmen on the Indian Arts label.

Rich

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Charlie White Eagle - Get Off Of My Cloud
    (recorded live at the Teenbeat Club in vegas)
    psyche or psycho, it messes me up everytime .........

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    I don't think he's a native american, but Brian C. Smith has a lot of projects with native american themes. First of all it's his solo project Ethereal Planes Indian, and he released an album called Smoke Signalds just before christmas. The album pretty much rocks, and is definately one of the best releases the last few months.

A few songs:
    "Smoke Signals"
    Off With Your Scalp

His first solo release was self titled in 2003. Besides that he played guitar for the psych band/american Acid Mothers Temple soundalikes Primordial Undermind, as have released a few really good albums as well (but I'm not sure about links to native american music). And he plays in The Iron Kite and The Friday Group also. Good bands.

It's not easy finding information about this guy and the bands he's playing in, but I know he's working on a website for his label Twilight Flight Sound. In the meanwhile he could be contacted at brironkite[at]hotmail[dot]com. He might know more about this stuff.

• Not sure if there were any actual natives involved-- judging by the credits, it looks like something they licensed from Belgium-- but the Injun Joe "Indian Priest" 45 on Turbo is a really cool slice of moody psych. The flip, "Someone," is a mediocre organ-funk number with bad vocals.

• Again, apologies for his not being psychedelic, but Jesse Ed Davis was one helluva guitarist.

http://theband.hiof.no/albums/ululu.html

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    your input is appreciated

There are small Indian reservations (lodges, farms, cooperatives) throughout the states, and some of them practice traditional song, dance, ritual, etc.

I used to work with Marvin, an Indian landscaper, who lived on one such reservation. He and I got tight, and he invited me to weekend pow-wows (held in high school gyms), sweat lodge (on the reservation), and different social functions.

His friendship was very rewarding to me. He is one of the noblest men I know. He'd suffered much in his life, and his spirit was tremendous. We spoke often of spirituality, and he was always patient with my questions.

I made it a habit to accept every invitation Marvin extended for me to join him "at the sweat." The lodge that Marvin frequented was small, about 10 person capacity. There was extensive ritual before entering. Once inside, with everyone seated around the pit in the center, they would drop 4 big volcanic rocks (that had been roasting on the coals of a bonfire all day) into the pit and shut the flap. The sweat leader would start pouring water on the rocks, people would play small drums, sing, and pray. It wasn't uncommon for the sweat to involve peyote.

After some time, they'd open the flap, pass some sage water around, bring in more rocks, and repeat the process. One typically sweats Angus Young amounts during this process. It's very intense.

Depending on your state, the heat could be completely unbearable. Marvin used to tell me that if the heat was bothering me, it was a sign that I had "much to pray about."

Usually, after the sweat, everyone would sit in the grass and eat watermelon. I have very distinct memories (20 years later) of exactly how I felt sitting in the grass. I can't say I have ever felt so free in my life. I feel lucky to have happened to be invited to take part in such things.

All this is to say, if you have the opportunity, you should seek out local Native American organizations. I bought several tapes (back when cassette was the shit) of Indian music, both contemporary and traditional, at the local pow-wows. Most of the music was sold just in these small communities. It might be worth it to ask around. And the food they served in those high school gyms. Fuckin A.

You'll know you found it when you see sage smoke pouring out of the doors.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    thanks for all the recommendations! you guys are the shizznit. i also found a chick named buffy sainte-marie who put out some psychedelic stuff. im gonna play that alexander longrifile in my class during my presentation and see how people react to it. if anyone has any other recommendations they can think of please post. and im just doing it on rock music in the 60s and early 70s now. thanks again

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    AlExAnDeR LoNgRiFiLe

im gonna play that alexander longrifile in my class

• autezautez 404 Posts
    also found this track from a group called lumbee that im gonna put on the mix

http://download.yousendit.com/F96F9F0450A53325

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    thanks for all the recommendations! you guys are the shizznit. i also found a chick named buffy sainte-marie who put out some psychedelic stuff. im gonna play that alexander longrifile in my class during my presentation and see how people react to it. if anyone has any other recommendations they can think of please post. and im just doing it on rock music in the 60s and early 70s now. thanks again

Someone mentioned Jim Pepper. Yes! He was a jazz musician who had a minor hit with a peyote song called Witchititoe [?]. It is, as mentioned, on Embryo. This is the one you want.

He rerecorded it in the 80s. Brewer and Shipley (in your local dollar bin) did a pop cover of the song.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Someone mentioned Jim Pepper. Yes! He was a jazz musician who had a minor hit with a peyote song called Witchititoe [?].

"Witchi-Tai-To."

It is, as mentioned, on Embryo. This is the one you want.

He rerecorded it in the 80s. Brewer and Shipley (in your local dollar bin) did a pop cover of the song.

There was also a cover by a group called Everything Is Everything, on the Vanguard Apostolic label.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Someone mentioned Jim Pepper. Yes! He was a jazz musician who had a minor hit with a peyote song called Witchititoe [?].

"Witchi-Tai-To."

There was also a cover by a group called Everything Is Everything, on the Vanguard Apostolic label.

I want to hear that.

• Someone mentioned Jim Pepper. Yes! He was a jazz musician who had a minor hit with a peyote song called Witchititoe [?].

"Witchi-Tai-To."

and don't forget the Taiconderoga one...psyched to the max.