DIGGERS ARM

2»

Comments

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    i had quite a few issues with my wrists/knees/ankles etc due to skateboarding back in the day.

Before I was an international man of leisure/millionaire, I had to have Public Assistance for my health care in Austin, TX.

I go in, they're going to give me a cortisone shot in my wrist to "loosen up" whatever kind of deposits had settled in my wrist that gave me quite a bit of pain.

Cortisone shots require very large needles and needless to say, I was being taken care of by some very amateur nurse's aids. 2nd year Home-Ec, I would assume.

So the needle is in the ball of my wrist and they leave to do something.. it's just like quivering in my arm and causing a bit of discomfort.

At some point, I start getting really faint, and I guess that I became quite pale. The nurse notices and proceeds to tell the other student that I should be given some oxygen.

In comes the tank. As I'm waiting to be administered oxygen, this gem of a nurse takes the oxygen mask, puts it over her own face, and does her best interpretation of Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet.. complete with the "Mommmmyy" monologue and all.

I never went back.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i had quite a few issues with my wrists/knees/ankles etc due to skateboarding back in the day.

Before I was an international man of leisure/millionaire, I had to have Public Assistance for my health care in Austin, TX.

I go in, they're going to give me a cortisonee shot in my wrist to "loosen up" whatever kind of deposits had settled in my wrist that gave me quite a bit of pain.

Cortisone shots require very large needles and needless to say, I was being taken care of by some very amateur nurse's aids. 2nd year Home-Ec, I would assume.

So the needle is in the ball of my wrist and they leave to do something.. it's just like quivering in my arm and causing a bit of discomfort.

At some point, I start getting really faint, and I guess that I became quite pale. The nurse notices and proceeds to tell the other student that I should be given some oxygen.

In comes the tank. As I'm waiting to be adminitered oxygen, this gem of a nurse takes the oxygen mask, puts it over her own face, and does her best interpretation of Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet.. complete with the "Mommmmyy" monologue and all.

I never went back.

Damn.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    Worst I've ever gotten was "Digger Cuticles" where my fingers start to bleed around the nails after hours of digging....this especially happens in the Winter.

Rich...this problem is the bane of my existence....the only way to really fix this is a MANICURE !!!!!!! I have had one and it helps...but none of you ever heard that from me, and i never actually did it ok.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    ha, this is crazy it was brought up, I was talking to this chick while digging this weekend and she told me "you know you can spot the real serious collectors from the size there forearms" I told her I don't think I'm there yet, and that I didn't think I wanted to be.

What size are YOUR forearms?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My dig arms be like this dude's:

Shit is mad real, you don't want none!

• graffiti cats call it "toy finger". i would do fills with my thumb, save index for outlines.

• yeah i had to get me one of these in 2001 when my wrist was killing me after one extended weekend of 9 to 5 digging.
    i used it for a while, it taught me to keep my wrist in a slighthly different position and i haven't needed it since.
    i still carry it around on longer trips just in case though.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

For me, the pain somehow gets in my shoulders and neck more than anywhere else - I guess I spend too long looking through rows and rows of 45s.....

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

yeah i had to get me one of these in 2001 when my wrist was killing me after one extended weekend of 9 to 5 digging.
    i used it for a while, it taught me to keep my wrist in a slighthly different position and i haven't needed it since.
    i still carry it around on longer trips just in case though.

so this is totally effective?? I get some crazy pain in my left wrist from the same amount of digging (Austin anyone??). Please tell me that it really did help.....

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    hey digger's arm threadstarter,

delete your pm's sir.

• I get some crazy pain in my left wrist from the same amount of digging (Austin anyone??). Please tell me that it really did help.....

yeah it did.
    this is hard to explain, but i think i used to keep my left wrist too low
    which forced me to use my fingers in a wrong way which in turn caused pain in the wrist.
    that thing forced my wrist higher and made the movement more natural.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

(Austin anyone??).

where have i seen that look before.............

i'm gone to my ilmo smokehouse & think about it

• graffiti cats call it "toy finger". i would do fills with my thumb, save index for outlines.
    That falls into the same category as blowing multi-colored boogers
    after lots of painting.

While digging sometimes I pop some zyrtec allergy pills for
    the dust and all that shit that makes you sneeze.

Right now the "Diggers Guide to Good Health" is being written.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    While digging sometimes I pop some zyrtec allergy pills for
    the dust and all that shit that makes you sneeze.

Right now the "Diggers Guide to Good Health" is being written.

An essential. zyrtec heads stand up!

• hey digger's arm threadstarter,

delete your pm's sir.

DONE

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    In the summer of 89, i worked on a fish processing barge in ALaska. repetitive movement for 12 hours straight 7 days a week. dudes were dropping like flies due to wrist pain. Sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night and my arms would be numb from the the elbow to my fingers. Swelling was that bad. Then I noticed this one dude who never had any problems. He told me that proper stretching before starting was the key. I tried it and shit worked.

Lastly, for long term injury I cannot stress the effectiveness of professional therapeutic massage enough. Look for someone who knows how to move the facia, like a Rolfer. Give it several weeks before you give up. You shit is locked up tight from sifting through those Gambler MSFLs. SHit will do wonders.