iPod junkies holla back

SoldStonedSoulSoldStonedSoul 92 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I've heard urban myths and rumors that you can transfer songs from one's ipod to one's pc. Is this true and if so please explain how.Spank you

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    It's possible. You just have to download third-party software which may put your Apple support or warranty in limbo.

• I'm pretty sure you can put it into a certain mode where it turns into a hard drive and you can d/l right off of it. Haven't tried it, but here is Apple's version of how to move your music from IPod to the HD of a "brand new PC" you bought.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173

Good Luck!

• Thanks for taking the time to look that up, dunno why I didn't start at the apple website myself...

Thx again!

• Senuti is good for the mac, you dont end up with lots of scrambled file names:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23390

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    mac & pc ... works well for me.
    iPod Access
    you need the serial though...
    nothing serialbox won't fix.

• If you install rockbox on it, it will be recognized just as a hard drive.

www.rockbox.org

plus - true gapless playback; onthego playlists; and customizable fonts, scrolling, crossfade, and now-playing-screens; graphic eq, filetree style browsing, the list goes on...

• how does that run? the features look dope but the interface looks . is it worth taking a chance on it?

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    If you install rockbox on it, it will be recognized just as a hard drive.

www.rockbox.org

plus - true gapless playback; onthego playlists; and customizable fonts, scrolling, crossfade, and now-playing-screens; graphic eq, filetree style browsing, the list goes on...

Have you used Rockbox with ipod yet? I was under the impression that it has quite a ways to go before it gets to the status that the iRiver 120 is at. (It's because of rockbox that I bought an OOP 120.)

If you're not a fan of the database-mindset of itunes, being able to make a bunch of custom playlists easily, and sorting by id tags, rockbox is pretty friggin' awesome. Since I chiefly listen to albums in full and DJ mixes, the benefits of itunes meant very little to me.

• If you install rockbox on it, it will be recognized just as a hard drive.

www.rockbox.org

Have you used Rockbox with ipod yet? I was under the impression that it has quite a ways to go before it gets to the status that the iRiver 120 is at. (It's because of rockbox that I bought an OOP 120.)

If you're not a fan of the database-mindset of itunes, being able to make a bunch of custom playlists easily, and sorting by id tags, rockbox is pretty friggin' awesome. Since I chiefly listen to albums in full and DJ mixes, the benefits of itunes meant very little to me.

I haven't used it on an Ipod yet, only my H140. I know the ipod version hasn't reached the capability of the iriver, but it's on it's way, and there are a lot of people working on it everyday.

(from the rockbox board)
    these features are presently functional:

-On the go playlist creation.
    -No software dependencies (iTunes)
    -MP3, Ogg, Wavpack, FLAC, ALAC, AAC, MPC support (and some others. My brain isn't working full speed at the moment. Also, many of these still need optimizations for iPod)
    -Customizable fonts, while playing screen, and background images.
    -Gapless playback in formats that support it (including LAME encoded and tagged MP3s)

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Oh sweet, I can see myself buying an ipod after the 120 dies or something now. I think ipod is tops from the hardware design angle (both functionally/interface and aesthetically). I just didn't dig the database thing + not being able to do gapless playback. (Frankly, it seems that the firmware is an afterthought for every friggin' portable media player manufacturer.)

• I bought an ipod a few months ago, an iPod video 30 gyg to be exact. I've been happy with it, but I should warn you that battery life is not on point. They boast some bullshit like 12 hours after a full charge, I never expected that to be true, I thought it would be 10 or 9, but the fact of the matter is it's no more than 6. This might have something to do with the fact that I live in Montreal which gets pretty fuckin frigid and may affect the battery (according to apple warnings), but nonetheless, don't expect anymore than 6 consecutive hours out of your Pod. As far as battery life is concerned for video, forget about a full length movie...u'll never make it.

• Battery life and just batteries in general have always been a weak point with the iPod. When they first came out there was the whole fiasco with the batteries not being changeable and having to pay Apple a hefty sum if you wanted a replacement battery, and there's always been issues with the iPod batteries not having a good life. Christmas of 2004 I got a Creative Zen Micro specifically because it had a longer battery life on a full charge than an iPod mini, and it came along with a spare battery to boot.

I'm also not real keen on iTunes. My dad got an iPod and had all kinds of problems trying to get the damn thing to simply transfer files to the iPod via firewire. My dad has really bad eyesight so he has trouble doing things on the computer so he got me to help him. I screwed around for a while and transfers simply wouldn't work over firewire and at one point while screwing with it iTunes actually deleted all the files on the iPod! I told my dad iTunes was a piece of shit and told him to just get Anapod Explorer. I purchased it for him and there's been no issues with the iPod since.