Design Heads (Adobe Illustrator related)

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
does anyone know how to set type on a curve in Illustrator?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    by curve, you mean a curved path?

• 1. draw a circle / oval.
    2. delete the top or bottom point (depending on which way you want your curve to go).
    3. select the type tool and click on the curve.
    4. start typing.
    5. with the selection tool, drag the tip of the type around to wherever you want it. you kinda have to futz around with it to get the feel for it, plus maybe combine it with clicking option or apple or something.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    by curve, you mean a curved path?

yes

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    1. draw a circle / oval.
    2. delete the top or bottom point (depending on which way you want your curve to go).
    4. start typing.
    5. with the selection tool, drag the tip of the type around to wherever you want it. you kinda have to futz around with it to get the feel for it, plus maybe combine it with clicking option or apple or something.

cool. i assume it's the same if you want to use the pen tool to draw a more personalized curve?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    1. draw a circle / oval.
    4. start typing.

cool. i assume it's the same if you want to use the pen tool to draw a more personalized curve?

yep... in my white tee.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    ok, how do you delete a point on a circle? i used the pen tool but then it collapses the circle. and when i click on the curve with the type tool it lays the type inside the circle, not on top of the curve.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    ok, how do you delete a point on a circle? i used the pen tool but then it collapses the circle. and when i click on the curve with the type tool it lays the type inside the circle, not on top of the curve.

its all about the white pointer

• ok, how do you delete a point on a circle? i used the pen tool but then it collapses the circle. and when i click on the curve with the type tool it lays the type inside the circle, not on top of the curve.

use the white / clear select arrow (top right-most tool in the tool selector thing).
    click just the top point of the circle so only the top point (of four points total) is selected.
    hit delete.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    ok, why does the type go on the inside of the curve instead of on top?

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    you can move/flip type on a path by adjusting the insertion point marker ... looks like a 'T' when you mouseover it. click and drag on this marker, and you can move the type along the path, invert it....etc

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    illustrator bible. any version.

master the chapter on using the pen tool.

opens a million possibilities.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    you can move/flip type on a path by adjusting the insertion point marker ... looks like a 'T' when you mouseover it. click and drag on this marker, and you can move the type along the path, invert it....etc

thanks man. shit works nice. i'm embarassed i don't know how to do it given i've been working with the program for a few years now.