Sin City

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Clive Owen was dope (Are there any women that isn't in love with this guy yet?)

Not yet, I've seen him in like four things, but it might take a Sin City to turn me.

How was Benicio del Toro...so dreamy...

Did you see Closer?

I hope you were asking MsDamn and not me on the dreamy Del Toro deal... ahaha

Oh I wasn't asking about the dreamy part!

I didn't see Closer - not really my bag. You like?

I've seen him in Croupier, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, Gosford Park and some British mystery show a while while ago.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Clive was in those BMW short films a year or two ago when the new 5 series and Z4 came out. Yall should check them out, they were good as hell, had James Brown, Maddonna abunch of other famous people, with big time directors.

They might still be here: www.bmwfilms.com.

Its a series of eight caled "The Hire"

Yeah, those were wicked...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    dude is a talented actor who habitually made shitty movies late in his career and became hollywood trash. i felt sorry for him for a minute, but i think this role was perfect for him.

Seriously for a while Mickey Rourke = Jan Michael Vincent

talented Golden Boys gone to seed....glad Rourke's fortunes are rising, I wonder if Vincent can ever recover a career

Clive Owen was dope (Are there any women that isn't in love with this guy yet?)

Not yet, I've seen him in like four things, but it might take a Sin City to turn me.

How was Benicio del Toro...so dreamy...

Did you see Closer?

I hope you were asking MsDamn and not me on the dreamy Del Toro deal... ahaha

Oh I wasn't asking about the dreamy part!

I've seen him in Croupier, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, Gosford Park and some British mystery show a while while ago.

Not your bag eh? What happens to be in your bag???I thought he kicked ass in Closer... Most of the movie stunk *IMO* cept for Clive.

I've liked him in everything I've seen. Cept for King Arthur!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Clive was in those BMW short films a year or two ago when the new 5 series and Z4 came out. Yall should check them out, they were good as hell, had James Brown, Maddonna abunch of other famous people, with big time directors.

They might still be here: www.bmwfilms.com.

Its a series of eight caled "The Hire"

Yeah, those were wicked...

you can get them on dvd for free, at least 6 months ago you could. all you have to pay is $3 shipping but it's totally worth it

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Not your bag eh? What happens to be in your bag???I thought he kicked ass in Closer... Most of the movie stunk [/b] *IMO* cept for Clive.
    Stinky movies are not my bag!
    I dunno it just didn't look like I could stand any of the characters for very long from what I saw in the commercials. I might check it out one day, but looking at your ringing endorsement, I might not!

I think Owens is quite good in I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, but I thought the movie was a mess.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    dude is a talented actor who habitually made shitty movies late in his career and became hollywood trash. i felt sorry for him for a minute, but i think this role was perfect for him.

talented Golden Boys gone to seed....glad Rourke's fortunes are rising, I wonder if Vincent can ever recover a career

can i just say that mickey rourke has some of the worst plastic surgery i've seen. totally unnecessary. anyway, i like rourke in diner, pope of greenwich village and homeboy. good call on the jan michael vincent comparison - the last i saw of him was in Buffalo 66. completely random

on a similiar note:

what is happening to Michael Madsen? or did I never notice before?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Bruce gets to hook up jessica Alba -- insert joey lawrence voice -- whoa!!!

She's nice to look at but couldn't act her way out of a bag in this film. Definetly one of the weaker elements of the film.

But, I must confess... Sin City...

(Longtime Sin City comic book reader)

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    yeah saw it on saturday... and i thought mickey rourke really stole the show... he was indeed

sin city & ong bak: thai warrior were by far the best movies ive seen so far in the past month or so.

-rich

can i just say that mickey rourke has some of the worst plastic surgery i've seen. totally unnecessary.

I thought dude had been in some kind of accident---or was it those boxing matches he lost? Either way, I was under the impression that he screwed up his real face somehow.

on a similiar note:

yeah, he was not looking great in Kill Bill, although he was trimmer than in this pic! He looks like he may suffer from a botox-OD.

And JM-V used to be straight pretty boy til he became a die-hard alcholic

• I saw this opening night, wasn't quite sure what to expect aside from the trailers and "The Dark Knight Returns," which I read a long time ago but remember being cool.

The opening scene was one of the best things I had seen on the big screen in a long time.. Then it cuts to Bruce Willis having a stilted conversation with his partner, and I'm thinking, good god, the dialogue is horrible, even if it IS supposed to follow a comic book. I don't know if I can sit through this for 2 hours.
    Then... the movie socks you in the gut and doesn't let up until the credits roll.
    Straight up roller coaster ride of a movie. Loved it.

Next in line is Mos Def vs. Martin Freeman
    aka Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy[/b]

Seriously though, the trailer was hilarious and looks like it'll do the books justice. Can't wait.

can i just say that mickey rourke has some of the worst plastic surgery i've seen. totally unnecessary.

I thought dude had been in some kind of accident---or was it those boxing matches he lost? Either way, I was under the impression that he screwed up his real face somehow.

I think you are thinking of Eric Roberts who messed up his face after a motorcycle accident and got the works with reconstructive surgery. I don't think Rourke was in any boxing matches post-Wild Orchid - that was his thing before he became an actor, isn't it? i am pretty sure it's all plastic. Salon feature on Mickey Rourke

• dude is a talented actor who habitually made shitty movies late in his career and became hollywood trash. i felt sorry for him for a minute, but i think this role was perfect for him.

can i just say that mickey rourke has some of the worst plastic surgery i've seen. totally unnecessary. anyway, i like rourke in diner, pope of greenwich village and homeboy. good call on the jan michael vincent comparison - the last i saw of him was in Buffalo 66. completely random

on a similiar note:

I think Mickey Rourke, Michael Madsen and Tom Sizemore all share the same brain...

I think you are thinking of Eric Roberts who messed up his face after a motorcycle accident and got the works with reconstructive surgery. I don't think Rourke was in any boxing matches post-Wild Orchid - that was his thing before he became an actor, isn't it? i am pretty sure it's all plastic. Salon feature on Mickey Rourke

Didn't Rourke quit acting (post Wild Orchid)for a time to persue a pro boxing career? I coulda sworn....

Didn't Rourke quit acting (post Wild Orchid)for a time to persue a pro boxing career? I coulda sworn....

i just reread the salon essay and you're right. around 1991 and he suffered broken cheekbones and other crazy shit.

i just reread the salon essay and you're right. around 1991 and he suffered broken cheekbones and other crazy shit.

Yeah, being a better fighter than most in Hollywood doesn't mean you are gonna be better than those hungry kids out there with a whole different bag of shit to prove. Geez, broken cheekbones...ouch!

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    wow..i saw this yesterday and I have to say i was dissapointed. While it was visually AMAZING, the actual story really lacked. I mean Rourke, Willis and Owen were basically the same character. The story had no background info and not a single charater was developed.
    Some of the acting was also laughable. Madsen sucked royally IMO.
    The didn't delve into a single aspect or character of the movie.

The badassness was cool, but it didn't hold it togethet for the entire flick.

I would have to disagree. I understand your reasons on backstory. But this IMO was the best comic to movie film I've ever seen done(Minus Lone Wolf & Baby Cart).
    I agree tho that this wasn't Madsen's best work. But as far as Rourke, Willis and Owen go, the only thing I found in this film they had in common was their violence was centered on a love of a women. Shots and dialog were based right from the comics. Plus, wasn't this mostly all done in Rodriguez house? Crazy... I also liked how he stepped up and quit the guild to have Frank Miller share directing credits.

But anyways... time to leave work!

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    but honestly waht did we learn about any character? one thing that got to me was Elijah Woods' character. He eats bodies to have their souls..which sounded kind of interesting - but that was it. no explanation of why, who he was, why the cardinal and him were hanging out...kind of iritating that they just left it at that. I could go on and on about other shit too.

Don't get me wrong - i am happy I saw it because I was blown away by the look and style of the film. But damn, that was a really weak plot and story.

• Next in line is yet another rapper as an alien
    aka Hitchikers Guide To the Galaxy

• Most amazing film I've seen in a looong time - story, style, characters... everything.

I'm scrambling to buy all the "comics" now - Always was a fan of Frank Miller, but dropped off around the time Sin City started. Now I', ebaying that shit.

I want to go watch the movie again, and it's not often that happens.

... and where's that Jessica Alba appreciation thread?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    wow..i saw this yesterday and I have to say i was dissapointed. While it was visually AMAZING, the actual story really lacked. I mean Rourke, Willis and Owen were basically the same character. The story had no background info and not a single charater was developed.
    Some of the acting was also laughable. Madsen sucked royally IMO.
    The didn't delve into a single aspect or character of the movie.

The badassness was cool, but it didn't hold it togethet for the entire flick.

Yeah, I agree with this dude. I din't think the acting was so bad, but the story was weak. I'm all for non-linear narative, but be clever with it. This movie was pulp fiction lite. I yawned a bunch of times. I also laughed out loud during some scenes that might have been intended to be dramatic. This movie did make me interested in seeing good movies that may inspired the visuals in this film. Hopefully those films have more depth & intelligence.

Did anyone else catch Frank Millar's cameo in the movie?

Peace

h