DamnIt!!! (1200 related)

DJelV2000DJelV2000 322 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I was just in the record room putting away a shitload of records that I got over the weekend, listening to some new joints, andmy turntable started fucking up. It was going from fast to slowkinda like someone was running their finger against the side of the plate, and i thought wifey was fucking with me, but, no...I looked closer and the light/strobe/dot thing was slowing down and speedingup. What the FUCK!?!?!?What the deal? its a 1200, always taken reasonable care of (took it to gigsand such, but I am generally an anal kinda DJ, no funny business with the equipment/records) I've had these tables about 8 yrs, but the tec's are generallyway stable and reliable.Anyone else had this problem?Should I have it cleaned or am I out $500?This really sucks Anybody got advice?I'm really freaking out over here...Thanks in advance,L

Comments

• i had this problem when i first got my 1200's, one of them kept slowly down just slighty like you said, i brought it to the place that i bought it to exchange, and the dude just opened it up and hit the power conversion switch underneath the platter...i guess mine was set for the european power setting, but im not sure that the older 1200's had this switch underneath. (i believe i got mine in 98 or 99)

• Mines is a euro joint also, but I've had it since about 98 or something
    and I've never had a problem. and it is really slowing down, maybe 20-30
    bpm or somthing...

anybody else?

Does the motor go on these things eventually?
    I've just never heard of somthing like this happening
    L

• I can't remember exactly, but a friend of mine had this problem, and I'm sure he sorted it out by removing the platter and cleaning the area where the drive is....
    I think...
    Won't do any harm to try...

• sounds like it could be the power supply or the motor. either way, you're not out too much money.
    remove the casing and check the motor. is it getting hot really quickly when it's acting funny? (compare it with a working motor). if so, it could be friction and wear in the motor and shaft (assuming every motor revolution it slows down). if you have a multimeter, check the voltage to the motor - is it varying at all? do you see any wires that are frayed/loose/where they shouldn't be?

best thing to do would be to bring it to a technician. ask for a tune-up (these should be done every couple of years anyways if you want your tables to last) and tell him about the problem you're having. think of the tune-up like an oil change. sure, you don't need to get it done, but it will significantly extend the lifespan of your car and it would be foolish to neglect it in that way.

• Thanks, Y'all

Tried to remove the platter, but it wont come off.
    Is that odd? I thought the platter came right off when pulled up.
    Is that a possible euro/American difference. Years ago I had american
    tables (1200's) and they were pretty easy to get apart...

I do really need to get them tuned up, I've never done it with these tables and
    they definately need it...

• im pretty sure its on a magnet, so you gotta pull hard..

• I looked closer and the light/strobe/dot thing was slowing down and speeding
    up. What the FUCK!?!?!?

That happened to me once. I just pulled the platter off and put it back on which solved the problem. You do have to pull it kinda hard but it's just a magnet. It will give.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Anybody know how to change the redlight to somethin' else like Green/Blue/Pink/Purple? Just wondering if it can be done at home. Have u ever seen something like this before?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Anybody know how to change the redlight to somethin' else like Green/Blue/Pink/Purple? Just wondering if it can be done at home. Have u ever seen something like this before?

• You can pull off the on off switch and look at the light bulbs. Don't know if you can get different color bulbs but it seems possible.

What I NEED is a turntable that can make coffee.

• It's possible you might need to replace your pitch control. You can order this or any other part for the 1200 at a place called BB&W in Berwyn IL. It should run you about twenty bucks.

• cool, thanks...
    Im gonna yank the platter off when i get home, clean it and
    then if still no go, I'll replace the pitch

• This might help.