Lack of women in record mafia

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Why? The only locals that I know are girlfriends/wifeys of record dudes, and it's more like an "assistant" thing. Is this a MACHOS' business? Is this a global phenomenon? Why the absence of women taking a leading role in this putrefact field?Theories, plaese

Comments

• 1. its dirty
    2. you cant wear it
    3. too busy having sex

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Is this a MACHOS' business?

DUDE! OF COURES!

haha! really though, it's a good question.

One funny thing is when my girlfriend "assists" me in digging she can totally get away with rude shit that would get a lot of guys beat up probably. Dudes don't know what to do when a girl crowds them out of boxes at a flea market or something!

HAHA!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    1. its dirty
    2. you cant wear it
    3. too busy having sex

ha!

I think women prefer to stay away from smelly sociopath losers, but that's just my opinion.

• its the baseball card impulse...boys grow up with it.

(i've been kicking around the essay for years about how baseball cards had a bigger affect on my life than anything else. the way I learn, my ability to retain facts, my penchant for collecting, how that gives me a sense of friends/community, etc.)

• I know a few women who buy records but their game is different. They (and I'm speaking on the ones I know, not women in general) tend to only buy shit they've heard before and are not ones to take chances. The upside to this is that they usually have real strong/consistent collections with no filler.

• 1. its dirty
    2. you cant wear it
    3. too busy having sex

ha!

I think women prefer to stay away from smelly sociopath losers, but that's just my opinion.

hahahaha! all you fuckin losers just got moded!

me, im not one of you guys as i am hardly into records and more or less here to pick up on white dudes with beards.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    smelly sociopath losers = "I met an interesting guy"[/b]

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    the ones I know, not women in general tend to only buy shit they've heard before and are not ones to take chances.

Not me, I have taken many many chances and have a couple crates of dookie dollar records for sale to prove it. But, I grew up collecting vinyl...my pops was really into it so there has always been a record room in our house since I can remember.

It can be lonely sometimes, but Ive got some of the sharpest elbows and fastest fingers around. It may be male dominated but I take no prisoners. In a lot of ways its easier, cause they dont see you coming and dont expect much. Using a little charm to get behind the scenes never hurts either.

However, My partner and I, ( both DJs) had to come to an agreement so diggin' wouldnt ruin our relationship, now we are able to cover twice as much ground twice as fast, and carry each others want lists..but I still prefer diggin solo any day. I dont care who you are just dont get in my way.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    diggin/collecting/dj-ing is a typical male thing. that's old news, isn't it? i see no reason to lament about women not doing it / not being into it. i find it rather strange when a woman is into records the same way as men are and a female dj is to me. i always ask myself what's wrong with her when i see a girl dj-ing.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I was talking about the "selling records" side of things.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Up until about two years ago, one of my top three biggest digging rivals in B-more was a mysterious 35-40 year old lady. This lady knew her disco, soul, modern soul, hip-hop, house, etc. etc. something serious, and she was in good with all the sellers that I am in with now but was only just starting to get to know back then. She was primarily buying to sell on ebay as far as I know, so my only consolation when she beat me to a spot was the chance of getting her less than NM rejects.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    ok, so i was wrong here. sorry.

• i find it rather strange when a woman is into records the same way as men are and a female dj is to me. i always ask myself what's wrong with her when i see a girl dj-ing.

What the hell? Are you serious?

Granted, there's not tons of female DJs in NC, and most of them mostly spin techno/electronic. BUT when I was in NYC the other week, I was around female vinyl-only DJs the entire freaking weekend and not only were almost all of them friendly, good-looking, tasteful dressers, and just all around great people, but they had records that would KILL a lot of dudes' collections and were great DJs on top of that. Off the top of my head...

Miss Shing-A-Ling
    Cassandra Bossy Boots
    Layla Peppermintwist
    Lynne K.
    Sheila B.
    Jaime Kozyra + Jennie Wasserman = Soul Sisters
    Raina
    Nina Reggaedelic
    and probably more I'm forgetting.

Ya'll dudes need to get out more or something.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    ok, so i was wrong here. sorry.

not just there.

Olski's never gonna send you guys' Secret Santa packages now!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i only clicked on this thread hoping for some pictures.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i like girl dj's
    i like female record sellers

(i think we need more female gramelins - maybe ladybug)

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Apparantly Olski doesn't mind alienating all the female deejays who would've bought his label's records

• that's what they have boyfriends for... seriosuly... i mean, with very few exceptions... when you meet a girl into good music or similar tastes, chances are she's only heard of it because her last boyfriend turned her onto it. that's why i have to laugh when friends of mine are like "but dude, she likes -such-n-such- band"... may as well go sleep with her ex bf if that's what you like about her.

my girlfriend does however buy records... shes more into turntables than the actual music though... it's strange how these things work.

and i'm obviously not aiming this at any girls on soulstrut (i probably shouldnt even say that plural.. i think theres only 1)... we ALL KNOW that's not the case if you're here.

No wonder you guys are lonely.

when you meet a girl into good music or similar tastes, chances are she's only heard of it because her last boyfriend turned her onto it.

watch your step, kid.

• No wonder you guys are lonely.

Dude whatever... if you ever move on from your present relationship I guarantee there will be some new dude who is like "BUT SHE LISTENS TO THE SOUND OF INSECTS!"

No wonder you guys are lonely.

Dude whatever... if you ever move on from your present relationship I guarantee there will be some new dude who is like "BUT SHE LISTENS TO THE SOUND OF INSECTS!"

Holy Shit!

I feel like I've destroyed a life now.

• when you meet a girl into good music or similar tastes, chances are she's only heard of it because her last boyfriend turned her onto it.

watch your step, kid.

i thought your location said: BE A MAN... let's not go against the grain here.

when you meet a girl into good music or similar tastes, chances are she's only heard of it because her last boyfriend turned her onto it.

watch your step, kid.

i'm sure your boyfriend(s) turned you on to some records?

• when you meet a girl into good music or similar tastes, chances are she's only heard of it because her last boyfriend turned her onto it.

watch your step, kid.

ZING ZANG ZUNG

watch your step, kid.

well, that's what homies are for!

watch your step, kid.

Being a man means properly respecting women

This thread has now entered dangerous territory. We've actually got a few regular posters who are women now... they've been scared off before, don't do it again

• whatever... i never dissed women... if you wanna bug someone go bug that guy that said that women cant wear them or theyre too busy having sex... rather than trying to play superhero and attempt to impress the few females here with your overly courteous ways.

whatever... i never dissed women... if you wanna bug someone go bug that guy that said that women cant wear them or theyre too busy having sex... rather than trying to play superhero and attempt to impress the few females here with your overly courteous ways.

Shut it