NRR - v for vendetta

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
crushes on Natalie Portman aside...folks interested/excited about this? v for vendetta

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Yes, first movie in awhile that looks mildly interesting by the commercials.
    There are some commercials for movies nowadays that make me wanna throw the TV out the window.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the posters are what caught my attention and i can't link them! ak! but they are very good. i hope the movie's aesthetic lives up to the posters.

i love how the thing everyone wants to talk about is portman's shaved head. must make the directors feel pretty good!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    crushes on Natalie Portman aside...folks interested/excited about this?

v for vendetta

A great comic book written by a dude that should get more props than he does outside of comic book nerd circles. Alan Moore is the author's name. "From Hell" & "League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen" were comics he wrote. I'll see this, but I don't know how it's going to work on the big screen.

Peace

h

• Is this the poster you were referring to?

Alan Moore is definitely one of the best writers in comics.
    From Hell was amazing (and so so SO much better than the movie would lead you to believe).

Truthfully, I'm not sure this movie would have been able to come out as easily 2-3 years ago in the height of 9-11 fear...

I'm guessing that setting England as a totalitarian government is too close to home for some folks on BOTH sides of the Atlantic.

That tag line on the poster is !!

no...the more propaganda-art looking posters, less phantom of the opera - with portman.

yes - i'm enjoying the tagline, too.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    these ones?

yes! thank you!

i like them.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Yeah, I like them, too. Unfortunately, I'm unsure about seeing this movie, since I liked the comic a lot, and I don't want to ruin it.

• them russian modernist posters are awesome. unfortunately, im not excited about the movie. i'll prolly see it on dvd or something. ive tried to read the watchmen like 5 times now and can never get past book 4. i always felt alan moore was highly overrated.

in other news i saw hustle & flow. loved it!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i heard natalie portman shaved her head for her role in this movie! can you believe it? i'll definitely be seeing it, if for nothing else but to see natalie portman with barely any hair - crrrrazy!

i will do what i did with the last two matrix movies and sin city - smoke a lot of hash, sit in the very back row of a giant theatre and enjoy the ride.

in other news, i saw capote and liked it very much!

• And then there's this...

• Btw - Those posters are pretty cool!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    yes this movie definately looks good, hopefully better that Moore's other big screen adapts. i will be seeing it (yet i see all comic conversion flicks).

did shephard fairey do the posters? looks obey-esque (the second more than the first).

and im pretty sure Portman is still rocking the shaved head, right?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    ive tried to read the watchmen like 5 times now and can never get past book 4. i always felt alan moore was highly overrated.

Check out his Swamp Thing. That was hot. I dug watchmen, but the first time I read it I skipped some of the essays & faux-magazine articles. The ending is amazing.

• i will check out swamp thing.

• I think the thing to consider about Moore is that he is not writing traditional comics. Don't get me wrong, I like traditionals as much as not, but Moore is almost always telling a good story while deconstructing and commenting on the history and nature of comics simultaneously.

I can understand why some might not dig this aspect, but for those who do it rocks.

That Swamp Man series completely deconstructed the whole genre while telling a great story using a historic comic character.

Reminds me of a quote by John Barth:

"Postmodernism is tying your necktie while simultaneously explaining the step-by-step procedure of necktie-tying and
    chatting about the history of male neck-wear - and managing a perfect full Windsor anyhow."

Again, an acquired taste, but one I enjoy...

• i will not check out swamp thing.

• Sorry - but don't forget I mentioned: "while telling a great story".

Completely readable and enjoyable.

Should have kept my mouth (fingers?) shut until after you read it!

• rayray 77 Posts
    ...your loss. Swamp Thing is one of the few titles from the DC universe that could hold my interest. The John Constantine character as written by Moore is 100x more intersting than the theatrical joke that was "Constantine."

And "Watchmen" is one of the few comics that transcends the genre - it is modern literature. I agree that the interludes seem to ruin the pace at first, but I actually came to look forward to them toward the end.
    And, as stated, the ending is incredible.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    That Swamp Man series completely deconstructed the whole genre while telling a great story using a historic comic character.

Yet Swamp Thing will always remain peripheral to the DC line-up.

Alan Moore iz his own animal.