Looks Good, Plays Funny (RR)

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
a french-pressed record i recently acquired on the actuel label looks unplayed, but has an odd distorted sound to it when it's played. it isn't really surface noise, as it dissapears in the quiet parts of the record. i'm guessing the grooves have been affected by that clear plastic sleeve that all they're lp's were pressed in. is there any way to lessen the effects of this distorted sound quality? i think i read somewhere that playing it in its entirety on both sides frees up the grooves or something? i may be totally off with that one, so someone school me on this.

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Could it just be a bad pressing?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I recently had a similar experience with a 12 inch single that was virtually scratch-free, yet played like a G- record. What ultimately did the trick was wiping the vinyl down with the standard alcohol/water combo, playing both sides all the way through once (I played mine back at 45 rpm, just to get this step over with), then wiping the LP down again.

The vinyl sounded crisp 'n' clear after the second wipedown.

SG

• Could it just be a bad pressing?
    possibly, but i've heard about those foreign pressings with clear plastic sleeves damaging the grooves, so i'm guessing that's the case.

• I recently had a similar experience with a 12 inch single that was virtually scratch-free, yet played like a G- record. What ultimately did the trick was wiping the vinyl down with the standard alcohol/water combo, playing both sides all the way through once (I played mine back at 45 rpm, just to get this step over with), then wiping the LP down again.

The vinyl sounded crisp 'n' clear after the second wipedown.

SG
    thanks for that tip, i'll give it a shot.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    actuel

there's the problem.