SERATO USERS - Building Overviews/HD Question

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
So I just copped a Lacie 100 GB Porche USB/Firewire portable external. I haven't built my overviews yet and was about to start this evening, but if I do that before i remove them from my G4s internal hard drive and make the transfer will I have to do it again?Looking in your direction, Cashless.

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    before you do anything dude, format your external in disk utility under the utilities folder. Use "Mac OS extended (journaled)".

• i think you would... when the file is in a different location, serato will see it as a different file, right?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    before you do anything dude, format your external in disk utility under the utilities folder. Use "Mac OS extended (journaled)".

Yeah, I learned that the FIRST time...

• copying is faster than moving also.

• when i build overviews, it reads the file like this:

/users/computer name/music/itunes/itunes music/artist/album/file name

so i would think if it was in a different location (external hard drive), it would read it as a different file, and you would have to build overviews twice

• The program quits every time I try to build overviews.

Oh, well.

• The program quits every time I try to build overviews

does it just close itself out?... no "do you want to quit serato" or whatever?

"The program Scratch Live has quit unexpectedly."

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    So I just copped a Lacie 100 GB Porche USB/Firewire portable external. I haven't built my overviews yet and was about to start this evening, but if I do that before i remove them from my G4s internal hard drive and make the transfer will I have to do it again?

Looking in your direction, Cashless.

late pass...

and no, once the file's overview has been built it will work no matter where it's located. It works the same way as it does for your cue points.

I hope that helps.

The program quits every time I try to build overviews

what version of OSX and Serato are you on?

You are MAC-ist!

I'm on a Dell running SSL 1.4

• not to thread-jack, but after you build overviews, do you notice that not all of your songs continue to have that green high-light??

its only important because when a song is not highlighted, while your overview is still built for the song, it no longer displays the length of the song or the rate that it was encoded at.

if you know what i'm talking about, is there a way to fix this?

I'm on a Dell

Problem found.

I thought I read that you were on a powerbook. I might be thinking of someone else, my baddage.

I'm a Macist and a high priest in the church of seratology...

• parenparen 537 Posts

I've encountered this a time or two and the reason was always a corrupt mp3 file at the start of the overview queue. As soon as the overview building began, Serato would read ...Music/Itunes/Itunes Music/XYZ/XYZPDQ.mp3 and then abruptly crash.

Check to see what (if any) track is being read as soon as you select "Build Overviews". Remove that file and try building again. Good luck.

• not to thread-jack, but after you build overviews, do you notice that not all of your songs continue to have that green high-light??

its only important because when a song is not highlighted, while your overview is still built for the song, it no longer displays the length of the song or the rate that it was encoded at.

if I'm not mistaken, the green highlight just indicates that a song has been loaded into a deck. Not PLAYED, but loaded.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Thread Jack Part Deux:

I asked this in the other Serato thread but with only one or two responses:

How did ya'll prioritize which vinyl you first digitized?

I've encountered this a time or two and the reason was always a corrupt mp3 file at the start of the overview queue. As soon as the overview building began, Serato would read ...Music/Itunes/Itunes Music/XYZ/XYZPDQ.mp3 and then abruptly crash.

Check to see what (if any) track is being read as soon as you select "Build Overviews". Remove that file and try building again. Good luck.

• Thread Jack Part Deux:

Which ones you like playing more

b/w

Which ones you can now sell for the most money

if I'm not mistaken, the green highlight just indicates that a song has been loaded into a deck. Not PLAYED, but loaded.

ok, but after you build overviews, they are all highlighted. also, i have definitely "loaded" every song, but not all of them stay highlighted.

this wouldnt be a problem except when they are not highlighted i can't see the bitrate and length of each song. how can i fix this without loading the song?

this is useful because i have doubles and triples of songs and i'd like to be able to scan my library and pick out the higher bitrates.

not to thread-jack, but after you build overviews, do you notice that not all of your songs continue to have that green high-light??

ok, but after you build overviews, they are all highlighted. also, i have definitely "loaded" every song, but not all of them stay highlighted.

this wouldnt be a problem except when they are not highlighted i can't see the bitrate and length of each song. how can i fix this without loading the song?

this is useful because i have doubles and triples of songs and i'd like to be able to scan my library and pick out the higher bitrates.

How about this...

Before you build overviews: Review > *select all* > clear.

that would solve your problems.

You're running around the block to take a shit. Just take the easiest way out.

How about this...

been there, done that. the overviews aren't the problem, they are built. its just the highlights. they don't "stick" for certain songs.

not to thread-jack, but after you build overviews, do you notice that not all of your songs continue to have that green high-light??

How about this...

been there, done that. the overviews aren't the problem, they are built. its just the highlights. they don't "stick" for certain songs.

The green "already loaded/played" highlight? If its not staying highlighted there might be problem with the file.

Have you checked your collection with MP3Check? If not, try it out.

Thread Jack Part Deux:

b/w

Real talk.

• Thread Jack Part Deux:

b/w

Real talk.

bonus cut: any records you have more than 1 copy of.

Please to explain logic?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Please to explain logic?
    records you have more of you usually like more so...

• and no, once the file's overview has been built it will work no matter where it's located

I've been digitizing from vinyl, through the Serato box, and I keep getting these digital glitches, here's what I mean:

http://o-dub.com/temp/snippet.mp3

I can't figure out the logic as to how/why this happens - there doesn't seem to be a precise rhyme or reason as to when it pops up.

I'm encoding to a G4 550Mhz Powerbook, dedicated to Serato. I'm not running any other programs though it occurs to me, the airport is still on and I've heard that can create problems.

Anyone else experience this?

I've been digitizing from vinyl, through the Serato box, and I keep getting these digital glitches, here's what I mean:

http://o-dub.com/temp/snippet.mp3

I can't figure out the logic as to how/why this happens - there doesn't seem to be a precise rhyme or reason as to when it pops up.

I'm encoding to a G4 550Mhz Powerbook, dedicated to Serato. I'm not running any other programs though it occurs to me, the airport is still on and I've heard that can create problems.

Anyone else experience this?

Serato + Airport =
    Have you taken a look at your USB dropout indicator when this poppin starts?