Curtis Fuller Live

NeverEnoughMoneyNeverEnoughMoney 300 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Has anyone seen Curtis Fuller live as of late? He's playing with Louis Hayes and John Hicks and I'm debating...Anyone?

Comments

• unfortunately no. When I lived in Cincinnati he played a free concert at UC and I didn't go, I forget why. But fuck man that dude's a living legend, there aren't many left from that era. I'd go just to get him to sign by Blue Train and hear what he has to say. If he's still got his chops then that's an added bonus! Go!

• You can almost never go wrong checking out any of the jazz legends.
    Different than "rock stars" they just get better with age.

I used to try and catch all I could at the Catalina Bar and Grill in L.A. when I lived up there.
    Now living in San Diego, where almost no one bothers to stop by, I miss the opportunity.

Thinking of trying to catch Christian McBride as he's coming through soon.
    Not an old-timer, but I've seen him live before and he certainly has the chops!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Has anyone seen Curtis Fuller live as of late? He's playing with Louis Hayes and John Hicks and I'm debating...

Anyone?

GO.

A friend just saw John Hicks recently and said he was awesome.
    All those guys together? GO.

I used to try and catch all I could at the Catalina Bar and Grill in L.A. when I lived up there.
    Now living in San Diego, where almost no one bothers to stop by, I miss the opportunity.

Honestly, just being a legend isn't enough for me. If it was, I'd drop money on a lot more records than I do now.

I find little to no joy in watching performers who I revere for their past works, but now find lacking. I'm not trying to bask in someone's presence today because of what they did 40 years ago.

I'm not saying I only want to see people that can live up to their greatest recordings from their youth, but I want to see someone who puts on a good show. It's all about the here an now. Otherwise, I'll stay home and listen to the "The Opener," "Variety Is The Spice Of Life" and "Hells Bells."

• Don't know about Curtis Fuller, but I plan on seeing Wayne Shorter next month.

I'd check Curtis Fuller if I had the chance. 'Soul Trombone' on Impulse is all the reason you need.

As for trying to bask in their 40 year old glory, I don't see it that way. I saw Junior Mance a few years ago and he still plays as well as he did back in the '60s.

Honestly, just being a legend isn't enough for me. If it was, I'd drop money on a lot more records than I do now.

I find little to no joy in watching performers who I revere for their past works, but now find lacking. I'm not trying to bask in someone's presence today because of what they did 40 years ago.

I'm not saying I only want to see people that can live up to their greatest recordings from their youth, but I want to see someone who puts on a good show. It's all about the here an now. Otherwise, I'll stay home and listen to the "The Opener," "Variety Is The Spice Of Life" and "Hells Bells."

Actually, that was the point I was trying to make...

The great thing about the older jazz artists I've seen live is that they almost always measure up to their history of playing. That is exactly what almost all rock stars do not do (although I am sure that someone might want to argue this point). The whole premise of jazz is growth and exploration, which is why any of the past greats are almost all still great when you see them. I would think this is especially true for any of the players from the 50s/60s era.

I'm forever grateful that I managed to see cats like Joe Henderson and Ron Carter play even if it was in the latter part of their careers. If you listen to a lot of jazz - all eras - and like the whole improvisational/solo thing, then I would be surprised if you were disappointed.

• I think you're generalizing a bit much there, I would argue that the vast majority of jazz musicians in their 70s and 80s are NOT really "exploring" or "growing" a whole lot anymore, with some notable exceptions.

• Maybe...
    Might have got a bit carried away...

I guess what I was basically trying to say is that I have rarely been disappointed by seeing one of these guys play live because they've played any worse than the stuff from them I love to listen to.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    You can almost never go wrong checking out any of the jazz legends.

i know what you mean, but at least you can get a record signed if it's terrible.

but I doubt all three of them could be bad.