Spinning at punk shows?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    kinda shocked that most of the punk listed in this thread is of the TOTAL BONEHEAD variety

P.S. Contribute

A few things I like off the dome:

Richard Hell & Voidoids, Germs, Electric Eels, Pere Ubu, Gang of Four, Bad Brains, Wire, Mission of Burma, Circle Jerks, Descendents, Minutemen, Rocket from the Tombs, Dead Boys, Cramps, Contortions, X, Crass, Damned, Buzzcocks, Ramones, Heartbreakers, Suicide, Flipper[/b] , Dicks, Wipers, Misfits

so good.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    "dude you are 35, isnt it embarassing to get on stage, and play guitar that fucking poorly?" Proficency is the new punk, the whole Ramones asthetic of "anyone can play music" it stupid as hell in 2005[/b] , being a "bad musician" was a different thing in 1976, shit, the "bad musicians" in 1976 could play circles arounbd the punk/garage dipshits now-a-days. sorry folks but the Ramones, Pistols, and the like isnt punk anymore..if you wanna be a real outcast, learn to play your instrument.

i hear that and agree 100%

i played drums in punk rock/sk8 rock/hard core bands for over 6 to 7 years back in the way day and what my biggest gripe with playing this shit was that it was cool to be horrible at your instrument. the whole spectacle of how punk rock you were was what made you popular, and that shit pissed me off everytime. thats why i was really into bands like minutemen and descendents, and the clash because they were all about playing punk rock, but were pretty damn good at their instruments too.

of couse there are a lot of bands that i didnt mention, but I pay homage to them for sure.

my bad for the rant, but yo, f%$# that gutterpunk shit. this is 2005. you're life aint that bad.

"dude you are 35, isnt it embarassing to get on stage, and play guitar that fucking poorly?" Proficency is the new punk, the whole Ramones asthetic of "anyone can play music" it stupid as hell in 2005[/b] , being a "bad musician" was a different thing in 1976, shit, the "bad musicians" in 1976 could play circles arounbd the punk/garage dipshits now-a-days. sorry folks but the Ramones, Pistols, and the like isnt punk anymore..if you wanna be a real outcast, learn to play your instrument.

i hear that and agree 100%

i played drums in punk rock/sk8 rock/hard core bands for over 6 to 7 years back in the way day and what my biggest gripe with playing this shit was that it was cool to be horrible at your instrument. the whole spectacle of how punk rock you were was what made you popular, and that shit pissed me off everytime. thats why i was really into bands like minutemen and descendents, and the clash because they were all about playing punk rock, but were pretty damn good at their instruments too.

of couse there are a lot of bands that i didnt mention, but I pay homage to them for sure.

my bad for the rant, but yo, f%$# that gutterpunk shit. this is 2005. you're life aint that bad. [/b]

??

did something happen last night that i missed? there's nothing to be angry about anymore?

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    haha.....i said my bad for the rant.

just to clear up a bit, that wasnt intended for anyone here on the board, but more for heads that try to emulate that old school punk rock lifestyle when infact they are living pretty kush middleclass lives.

i confess, I still have issues with the whole punk rock lifestyle because I've gotten into so many situations back in the day that nearly got me and my band members killed from stupid gutterpunk shit that didnt even make sense. so anytime i hear the name sex pistols, i snap because it reminds me of my band members acting like their lives were similar to sid or johnny rotten. bullocks!

so again, my bad for the rant.

• oxnardcoreoxnardcore 141 Posts

NARDCORE!!

...although if you ask an 805er these days, they'll say this guy is the new nardcore:

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    hi punk rockers.

i never liked punk rock so i cant really say much here. but i will say that punk used to scare the SHIT out of me as a kid. and, yes, rap too, but punk scared me more cuz around my parts punk rockers looked very similar to skinheads and i really couldnt tell the difference so i always stayed away. but nowadays this pop punk shit is a joke. and that makes me laugh. HA HA HA!

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    kinda shocked that most of the punk listed in this thread is of the TOTAL BONEHEAD variety

yeah i noticed the ramones & the clash...

nah but really, punk & hardcore to different things...
    but i really have a hard time calling the clash or ramones for that matter punk, both are/were radio bands imo. like todays morons callin green day punk rawk...

& i'd much rather find a dischord raer than a clash or ramones lp i never liked either of them, even when i was into more str8 up punk shit...

as for ian telling fools not to mosh or stage dive during shows, if you knew the reasons why you might understand it a lil more...

seXhc got a bad rap due to the later bands & their militant stance on vegan shit & drugs, shit killed it,,,

as for sterling! dude was the nana player...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    but i really have a hard time calling the clash or ramones for that matter punk, both are/were radio bands imo. like todays morons callin green day punk rawk...

FACE OFFICIALLY MELTED OFF

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I just ran two miles and did 500 crunches to two Dwarves albums (Blood, Guts, & Pu$$y and Thank Heaven For Little Girls).

Okay, Blood... played twice.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    no pushups?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    hooks, Johnny Ramone was an excellent musician. Don't front.

I know! that is what I was trying to say! "bad musician" in 1976 meant a totally different thing then than it does now, when you hear people like Steve Jones say "the Pistols couldnt even play" they meant "they couldnt play like ELP or some other virtuoso prog band"...dude could play guitar, dude could solo, music and entertaining seemed to be a different thing back then...but "not being able play" in 2005 means just that, you cant string two chords together or cant find the beat. Dipshits took the "anyone can play rock music" and ran with that shit.

to each his own bruh...
    i cant fade that pop shit, & thats what it was to me...

NY had 2 destictive eras of hard core 81 & 85, bands like the stimulators(pre cro mags), kraut, the undead, places like cbgb's & 171A's basement, that was punk rawk, cro mags 1st demo didnt even drop till 85', crucial truth, jimmy gestapo & the boys from murphys law... i mean there is a reason any good punk historian in terms of NY does not talk about the ramones, it's like people in la talking about the tazers vs black flag...
    and on the seXhc tip i mean shit youth of today claimed NYHC they were from CT, lots were from jersey, but NY had the thug scene & people wanted to be agnostic front & the cro mags...
    but all those seXhc 45's & lp's are worth serious bank so it allbalances out in the long run...
    peace & great thread

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    :19638/webhost/rollout">-->

• hans_lucashans_lucas 159 Posts
    but i really have a hard time calling the clash or ramones for that matter punk

DOUBLE MELT

Feel free to add on...

I have been trying to figure out a new logo and this thread inspired me, although not technically punk, the whole "closet metalhead" thing made think of this...so I bit this...

I have been trying to figure out a new logo and this thread inspired me, although not technically punk, the whole "closet metalhead" thing made think of this...so I bit this...

Is that some barbecue dripping off your lips?

but i really have a hard time calling the clash or ramones for that matter punk

DOUBLE MELT

Feel free to add on...

i can see what sirDigDug is saying...it's all soooooo gray and here comes that durty word - subjective...

yer from Toronto right, Hans? The Mighty Q plays both the Ramones and The Clash - that's kinda un-punk, no?

The Clash were pretty punk in their attitude/politics, less so in their sound - in my world I still think they are more punk than the Ramones who probably have a more punk sound but were co-founded by a staunch Republican. Siding with the Reagans and the Bushes and Rush Limbaughs of the world is not very punk to me.

ah who gives a shit anyway? talking about how punk something is as inane as talking about how real something is

Siding with the Reagans and the Bushes and Rush Limbaughs of the world is not very punk to me.

Why not? They're all about creating anarchy throughout the world aren't they?

the clash and the ramones were punk...yeah its radio music now, but it wasnt in the 70s. they were punk because of what was going on with their contemporaries..in 1975 no one was playing minute and a half, fast ass songs with loud guitar and no solos..that was punk. Yeah, that sound is commercial today, but it was punk.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Anyone ever spin at punk shows? I'm thinking of doing it between sets as a lot of my friends perform at punk shows. What type of music do you spin?

Hip hop continues down the same slippery slope that jazz did, ultimately resulting in Kenny G...

huh?

are you in the right thread?

Huh? DJing = traditionally hip hop?

are you on the right website?

Anyone ever spin at punk shows? I'm thinking of doing it between sets as a lot of my friends perform at punk shows. What type of music do you spin?

Hip hop continues down the same slippery slope that jazz did, ultimately resulting in Kenny G...

huh?

apparently not - should i go to the somewhat-ok-looking-ethnic-chicks-as-long-as-they-look-kinda-white site instead?

i still don't get your point, but i've lost interest now anyway. good-bye.

• ScottScott 420 Posts

If you're defending the "DJ's should only be spinning hip-hop" platform, you're about 20 years too late.

huh?

apparently not - should i go to the somewhat-ok-looking-ethnic-chicks-as-long-as-they-look-kinda-white site instead?

Maybe, but you won't catch me there - I don't do white chicks.

If you're defending the "DJ's should only be spinning hip-hop" platform, you're about 20 years too late.

True, hence the continuation down the slippery slope, not the beginning.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts

True, hence the continuation down the slippery slope, not the beginning.

:19638/webhost/rollout">-->

stalker?
    nah but seriously, server issues, when it's fixed feel free to cop, steins, kingmost, asprin & many others from the strut's rekkidz...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I don't know what all this "bonehead" shit is...I mean, yeah, I hated it and pretty much dropped out of the scene when huge weightlifter gangs started taking over everything, and the bands catered to them...but I didn't see too much of that era on this thread...Cro Mags are NOT Biohazzard, knowwhatimean?
    When I was really into punk I was into everything, just like everyone I knew...everyone knew the UK 70's stuff, everyone knew D.C. hardcore, L.A. thrash, NY noise...late 80's/early 90's hardcore was the shit, and definitely not "bonehead music."

Best hardcore show I ever saw: Dag Nasty (Dave Smalley on vocals) with Verbal Assault at T.T. the Bear's in Cambridge, MA 1986.

Best hardcore band to see live and sing along???

Agnostic Front??
    Bad Brains??
    Youth of Today??????
    even if you hated YoT it was fun to see them live in the early days, it was totally on some "Spirit Rally" shit, but the energy was INSANE!!

Cro Mags are NOT Biohazzard, knowwhatimean?
    sooo true, bio hazzard was a poor sick of it all rip anyway...

Best hardcore show I ever saw: Dag Nasty (Dave Smalley on vocals) with Verbal Assault at T.T. the Bear's in Cambridge, MA 1986.

dag nasty during tht time was ill, verbal assault was/is one of my all time favs, saw them w/ op ivy & underdog & gilman street 88' sick sick show...

Best hardcore band to see live and sing along???

Agnostic Front??
    Bad Brains??
    Youth of Today??????
    even if you hated YoT it was fun to see them live in the early days, it was totally on some "Spirit Rally" shit, but the energy was INSANE!!
    toss up for me btwn 7seconds, chain of strength, YOT & GB

so where was all this weightlifter shit goin down, i'm curious, cuz i heard some crazy shit bout here on that tip, but never saw it? i know str8 edge turned really lame in like 90' when everyone jumped on the ray cappo krisna ship,
    but 85-89, shit was all youth crew... & all those records w/ the lame covers are worth mad bank glad i held on to em & used to scoop tripples of most shit...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    where was all this weightlifter shit goin down, i'm curious, cuz i heard some crazy shit bout here on that tip, but never saw it?

In Boston it was an almost full-circle thing, but that shit where the next generation is missing a vital chromosome, ya know? In the early 80's Boston had a really violent scene, but also a very tight, innovative and generally crazy scene, made up more of "real headz" townie locals than anything...80's spreading of hardcore to college scenes dilluted shit, but it was a nice generally peaceful time, with shows every single weekend for years...mid-90's brought on this gangster style, dudes who alternately aligned themselves/beefed with the infamous DMS crew of NYC...fights started ending every show, some kids got stabbed at parties, clubs stopped booking all ages shows, it became a couple of shows a month and whatever you do "don't dance" cause there's 12 dudes standing around the pit waiting to pummel anyone they don't know that wants to "mosh." The closing of Local 186 due to same gang members (many of who "worked" at the club) attacking the band and destroying the bar (like Old West movie style, stool through the bar mirror shit), as referred to in an earlier post, was pretty much the end of things as we knew them, but at that point I was finally done with 99 percent of the punk rock scene/shows myself, so it didn't bother me too much.