2»

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

De-Lite - Black label = shit

"N.T." might not agree...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

De-Lite - Black label = shit
    Bright blue label - fire.

meaning he prefers "ladies night" over, say, "chocolate buttermilk"???

I would pretty much go by the exact opposite of what this dude says*

*unless you are the "new look" guzzo

Or "Cherish over, say, "The Frog", or "Duji". This guy is either a foll, or he's got a lot of "modern funk" to offload on the bay. Not mutually exclusive of course.

• I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic, laying down the bizarro funk collecting rules and what not

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Do any Scorpios exist without cue burn? I definitely see a lot of them and Funky Nassau's in NYC. Also plenty of Mr Big Stuff's.

As for Atlantic funk, I think some of those Manu Dibango 45s are worth picking up for use as coasters.

That was a fuckin' JOKE.

WEYA!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I would love to start a thread about 45's people bought where the title was like, "Funky Funking MotherFunker," on a usually good label, say, Sussex, and the artist's name was like, "Willie McSoul," and you get it home, hands shaking as you put it on the turntable, and it turns out to be bluegrass with kazoos!!

I had mighty high hopes for "Mr. Penguin" by Lunar Funk on Bell...funk, it is...good, it is not. (Although I understand the followup, "Slip The Drummer One," is really good, judging by the needle swipe I heard at a friend's house.)

• Johnny Wakelin & The Kinshasa Band - Bang The Drum/Black Superman-"Muhammad Ali" (PYE)

This has to be on my Top 50, "it looked so dope when I pulled it out of the stack, but it blew so hard when I got it home and played it" list.

I just pulled that one today, as well. I thought the same thing when I played it.

• Today's finds:

Dennis Coffey ??? Gimme That Funk/Someone Special (Westbound)
    The Dynamics ??? Voyage Thru The Mind/Let Me Be Your Friend (Black Gold)
    Swiss Movement ??? Bring Back Your Love/This Moment (I Just Want It To Last Forever) (RCA)
    Johnnie Taylor ??? We???re Getting Careless With Our Love/Poor Make Believer (Stax)
    The 21st Century Ltd. ??? Main Chance/The Hues Corporation ??? There He Is Again (RCA)
    The Three Degrees ??? Dirty Ol??? Man/I Didn???t Know (Philadelphia International)
    David T. Walker ??? Hot Fun In The Summertime/I Want To Talk To You (Ode)
    The Establishment ??? In My Heart I Am A Free Man/Stop Fightin???, Start Lovin??? (King)
    The O???Jays ??? I Love Music (Part 1)/Part 2 (Philadelphia International)
    The Flaming Ember ??? Westbound #9/mono (Hot Wax)
    KC And The Sunshine Band ??? I Get Lifted/Boogie Shoes (TK)
    The Impressions ??? Amen (1970)/same (Curtom)
    The Impressions ??? Love Me/same (Curtom)
    Dexter Wansel ??? Life On Mars (Part 1)/Part 2 (Philadelphia International)
    The New Birth ??? I Can Understand It/mono (RCA)
    MFSB ??? Philadelphia Freedom/mono (Philadelphia International)
    Tyrone Davis ??? Can I Change My Mind/A Woman Needs To Be Loved (Dakar)
    Willie Mitchell ??? Six To Go/Robbin???s Nest (Hi)

And 32 other slabs of garbage, all for $20.

I need a portable.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

I need a portable.

Yeah, forgot to mention that. You might as well be picking the records out of a hat.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Do any Scorpios exist without cue burn? I definitely see a lot of them and Funky Nassau's in NYC. Also plenty of Mr Big Stuff's.

As for Atlantic funk, I think some of those Manu Dibango 45s are worth picking up for use as coasters.

That was a fuckin' JOKE.

WEYA!

getyaself a vinyl "Scorpio"...it will burn free more than likely.

Mr. Big Stuff, if I am not mistaken, was Stax's biggest selling single of all time, so yeah they are everywhere.

as far as Atlantic funk, dont sleep on Southshore Comission "right on brother" pts 1 and 2....great tune with some righteous fuzz guitar. its a favortie of mine.

• Mr Big Stuff track is such a dope track, but not nearly as dope as I'm Too Tough For Mr Big Stuff. That one isn't dollarbin common though.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Mr Big Stuff track is such a dope track, but not nearly as dope as I'm Too Tough For Mr Big Stuff. That one isn't dollarbin common though.

...and neither is "Right On Brother." When that other Strutter was talking about Atlantic funk, that tune popped into my head, but since the topic is "dollarbin common 45's" (something "Right On Brother" definitely isn't), I didn't say anything. Great record, though!

As for "Mr. Big Stuff" being Stax's biggest seller, I doubt it. Not coming from the same label that gave us "Theme From Shaft," "I'll Take You There," "Soul Man" and "Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay."

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    BUMP

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Johnny Wakelin & The Kinshasa Band - Bang The Drum/Black Superman-"Muhammad Ali" (PYE)

This has to be on my Top 50, "it looked so dope when I pulled it out of the stack, but it blew so hard when I got it home and played it" list.

I would love to start a thread about 45's people bought where the title was like, "Funky Funking MotherFunker," on a usually good label, say, Sussex, and the artist's name was like, "Willie McSoul," and you get it home, hands shaking as you put it on the turntable, and it turns out to be bluegrass with kazoos!!

There is usually a balance to this, where the one that looks the least funky in a pile will turn out to be dope, and the one that you had the highest hopes for turns out to be:

I pulled Mr.Wakelin today at the flea and took him home although I smelled a certain disapointment potential. I can't describe how much this record sucks.
    Last weekend I picked up a german group named "Black Gorilla" with B-Side titled "Funky Jungle". There was an 80 percent chance that this would be a real stinker but I took it for the other 20 percent. It's a banger!

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Mr Big Stuff track is such a dope track, but not nearly as dope as I'm Too Tough For Mr Big Stuff. That one isn't dollarbin common though.

...and neither is "Right On Brother." When that other Strutter was talking about Atlantic funk, that tune popped into my head, but since the topic is "dollarbin common 45's" (something "Right On Brother" definitely isn't), I didn't say anything. Great record, though!

As for "Mr. Big Stuff" being Stax's biggest seller, I doubt it. Not coming from the same label that gave us "Theme From Shaft," "I'll Take You There," "Soul Man" and "Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay."

In the 4-year interim, has anyone found an answer to this?