Spinning at punk shows?

Comments

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Did Gorrilla Biscuits "Sitting 'Round At Home" ever see vinyl release?

There was a comp called "New York Hardcore: Where the Wild Things Are" that had this track. I got it on cassette, but I'm sure it was originally released on vinyl as well. Check the bottom of this page for more info:

http://www.contrastrecordstore.com/hardcorearchive_mp3.html

• DjArcadian, Stream or download this mix for your punk show. Turn it up loud, and go get drunk at the bar while everyone moshes... An hour and fifteen minutes of punk.

[color:pink]
    1. Agitated Guitar Music
    2. Cro-Mags - “Malfunction” (Rock Hotel/Profile, 1986)
    3. Agnostic Front - “Your Mistake” (Combat, 1986)
    4. Happy Go Licky - “White Lines” (Peterbuilt, 1987)
    5. Samiam - “Home Sweet Home” (New Red Archives, 1990)
    6. Bob Tilton - “Gears Turn (It Just Repeats)” (Subjugation, 1994)
    7. Shellac - “Wingwalker” (Touch and Go, 1993)
    8. Deak Kennedys - “We've Got a Bigger Problem Now” (Alternative Tentacles, 1981)
    9. Nirvana - “Negative Creep” (Sub Pop, 1989)
    10. Suicidal Tendencies - “I Saw Your Mommy…” (Frontier, 1983)
    11. Exploited - “Horror Epics” (Combat, 1984)
    12. Drive Like Jehu - “Do You Compute” (Cargo, 1994)
    13. Faith No More - “We Care A Lot” (Slash, 1987)
    14. Fishbone - “Slow Bus Movin' (Howard Beach Party)” (Columbia, 1988)
    15. Bad Brains - “With The Quickness” (Caroline, 1989)
    16. Scream - “Amerarockers” (Dischord, 1982)
    17. 7 Seconds - “Walk Together, Rock Together” (Better Youth, 1986)
    18. Youth of Today - “Crucial Times” (Schism, 1988)
    19. Uniform Choice - “Use Your Head” (Wishing Well, 1986)
    20. Skewbald - “[Untitled]” (Dischord, 1981)
    21. Rain - “Snake Out” (Peterbuilt, 198?)
    22. Spitboy - “Wizened” (ebulition, 1985)
    23. Bikini Kill - “I Like Fucking” (Kill Rock Stars, 1995)
    24. Cupid Car Club - “Grape Juice Plus” (Kill Rock Stars, 1994)
    25. Operation Ivy - “Healthy Body” (Lookout, 1988)
    26. Circle Jerks - “Wonderful” (Combat, 1985) [/color]

Thanks for posting that, its getting me through an especially shitty day at work. (even though I feel like a total hypocrite listening to this while sitting behind a desk)

• Just curious, which bar was this?

At the time it was called Local 186, previously known as Bunratty's (where I saw a few good HC shows), and is now the wet blanket known as "Wonderbar"

Holy Jeezus, that takes me back--I think I saw Down By Law and Black Train Jack there when it was Local 186. At least that's the only show I remember with any kind of clarity, as they had hearty beer specials. Oh yeah, it switched over to the WonderYuppieHellHole after there was a riot at a Meatmen show or something? Cripes, I'm getting old. Sorry for the nostalgia derailment.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    MEMORIES SERVED

Soulrez, you rule

one my fav comps

the real rage against the machine

speaking of harley,

in 88' when they were out here for some shows we all chilled, dude had crazy stories bout pit bulls & lead pipes & the metalplate in his head, john joseph was a crazy fuck too... now they all krisna...

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Anyone ever spin at punk shows? I'm thinking of doing it between sets as a lot of my friends perform at punk shows. What type of music do you spin?

Hip hop continues down the same slippery slope that jazz did, ultimately resulting in Kenny G...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    seeing all this straight edge stuff makes me see red...arrrgggghh...just kidding, kinda. I was part of the anti-straight edge scene here in memphis in the 80s...dipshits around here went around knocking beers outta folks hands and shit(some dudes got their ass beat for that shit). I was of the beer and weed,long haired Black Flag ilk. what was funny is most of those straight edgers around here turned into hip hop dudes...blunts and 40s. I was friends with one of the big straight edgers around town...he was a veggie and we got a pizza once..half sausage, half mushroom and a piece of sausage rolled over and touched a mushroom and it looked like he was going to throw up.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

good ol Sterling

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Anyone ever spin at punk shows? I'm thinking of doing it between sets as a lot of my friends perform at punk shows. What type of music do you spin?

Hip hop continues down the same slippery slope that jazz did, ultimately resulting in Kenny G...

huh?

are you in the right thread?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    kinda shocked that most of the punk listed in this thread is of the TOTAL BONEHEAD variety

kinda shocked that most of the punk listed in this thread is of the TOTAL BONEHEAD variety

I just shot V-8 outta my nose readin that...its funny because its true.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

TOTAL BONEHEAD?

TOTAL BONEHEAD?[/b]

Naw, I'm all about some Bad Brains/Black Flag/shit like that, but its all these weightlifting dudes from the mid-late 80s with the ugly record sleeves I'm not down with... that was a pretty dark period for punk IMO

dude said MOST...I dont think he meant stiff little fingers, bad brains, etc...but if ya wanna get down to it, while the bad brains made brilliant music, HR is a homophobic, violent bonehead.

• it's really all about japanese shit when it comes down to it gimme lip cream, gauze and outo all day hahaaaaa

Naw, I'm all about some Bad Brains/Black Flag/shit like that, but its all these weightlifting dudes from the mid-late 80s with the ugly record sleeves I'm not down with... that was a pretty dark period for punk IMO

So true. But there was (as is always the case) some great local/basement scenes that began to form/grow as a result (ie.SST and Dischord bands).

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    i was assuming the whole time (without looking) that this thread was about that hippie style dancing going on at punk shows.

• kinda shocked that most of the punk listed in this thread is of the TOTAL BONEHEAD variety

Yea its funny, i was thinking the same thing all this time. That was a really lame period for the music and culture. And you described it perfectly. All those dudes i knew were boneheads. "Lets give the meatheads a way to express themselves off the field" type shit. Every single one of those folks nowadays are either totally fucked up, or at least get fucked up. Seems like a lot of wasted effort to me, always did.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    I've spun at three real big punk type shows at the Black Cat playing whatever I want. Once in no real order with no mixing. A lot of people were stoked. I remember one kid afterwards asking me to play Juelz again. I was like the show is done and the sound is off and he was sad

Davenada spun with me at the last one and he played almost only Baltimore club and people seemed to like that. One dude with FREE AT LAST tattoo'd on his neck came up to the DJ booth a bunch and was freaking out about how good it was

• I have to pitch a couple pennies now...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BoenHESD

Yea its funny, i was thinking the same thing all this time. That was a really lame period for the music and culture. And you described it perfectly. All those dudes i knew were boneheads. "Lets give the meatheads a way to express themselves off the field" type shit. Every single one of those folks nowadays are either totally fucked up, or at least get fucked up. Seems like a lot of wasted effort to me, always did.

sayin!

There was a Fugazi video where Ian gets pissed at this dude about moshing/being a dick. He belittles the fucker by saying he???d just saw him buying ice cream like little boys or some shit.

Anyways, I actually ran into that ???ice cream??? dude the other day at a record store and he was bragging to some younger kids that he was featured in a Fugazi video. Fucking loser.

I always hated those fuckers. I was just skinny kid who loved music, my girlfriend refused to go to these shows after a while. I remember show after show being ruined by these dumb fucks. I saw girl get her arm broke trying to watch Soundgarden. I always like that Fugazi would stop playing when shit got bad.

• kinda shocked that most of the punk listed in this thread is of the TOTAL BONEHEAD variety

P.S. Contribute

P.S. Contribute

P.S. New York is Burning.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    These are the things to play:

Yea its funny, i was thinking the same thing all this time. That was a really lame period for the music and culture. And you described it perfectly. All those dudes i knew were boneheads. "Lets give the meatheads a way to express themselves off the field" type shit. Every single one of those folks nowadays are either totally fucked up, or at least get fucked up. Seems like a lot of wasted effort to me, always did.[/b]

Which part?

I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than a few reformed meatheads around here...

This telegram just in (peace to rape_donkeys for the putup)

[color:#666666]"GO TO HELL BASTARD--STOP--REFUSE PRIZE--STOP--NEVER ASKED FOR IT--STOP--AGAINST ALL DECENCY MIX ARTIST AGAINST HIS WILL IN YOUR PUBLICITY--STOP--I WANT PUBLIC CONFIRMATION NOT TO HAVE PARTICIPATED IN YOUR RIDICULOUS GAME." [/color]

I am a metalhead that isnt completely reformed...I love metal, I aint gonna front. In fact being able to sing and play guitar solos IS the new punk. Especially here in Memphis, nothin but shitty garage bullshit..."dude you are 35, isnt it embarassing to get on stage, and play guitar that fucking poorly?" Proficency is the new punk, the whole Ramones asthetic of "anyone can play music" it stupid as hell in 2005, being a "bad musician" was a different thing in 1976, shit, the "bad musicians" in 1976 could play circles arounbd the punk/garage dipshits now-a-days. sorry folks but the Ramones, Pistols, and the like isnt punk anymore..if you wanna be a real outcast, learn to play your instrument.

P.S. Contribute

A few things I like off the dome:

Richard Hell & Voidoids, Germs, Electric Eels, Pere Ubu, Gang of Four, Bad Brains, Wire, Mission of Burma, Circle Jerks, Descendents, Minutemen, Rocket from the Tombs, Dead Boys, Cramps, Contortions, X, Crass, Damned, Buzzcocks, Ramones, Heartbreakers, Suicide, Flipper, Dicks, Wipers, Misfits

• i found a token entry EP & a conflict EP at a yard sale this weekend. guess which i'm keeping

hooks, Johnny Ramone was an excellent musician. Don't front.