Divergent hip hop BPM's...

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I'm concerned. I live in Houston and we're about that slow shit, that hella slow shit. Lately I've been noticing that hip hop's quietly slipping into two schools of BPM, 90> or 105*. I'm not hating, in fact I like the higher bpm shit, but there's less and less middle range shit to play nowadays. I'm not saying it's going extinct, but I'm sure you can see what I'm talking about.Any thoughts? What do you guys do to make up for the gaps?*this also applies to dancehall.

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'm concerned. I live in Houston and we're about that slow shit, that hella slow shit. Lately I've been noticing that hip hop's quietly slipping into two schools of BPM, 90> or 105*. I'm not hating, in fact I like the higher bpm shit, but there's less and less middle range shit to play nowadays. I'm not saying it's going extinct, but I'm sure you can see what I'm talking about.

Any thoughts? What do you guys do to make up for the gaps?

*this also applies to dancehall.

A champ like Tyson, a captain like Kirk
    No
    Employee of the month, 'cause yo, I do work

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    I'm not sure whether or not I think the faster songs are replacing slower songs, but you are right that in the last couple of years the bpm range has been increasing dramatically. In some ways it it harkens back to circa 1990, which as far as I am concerned is great. These days I think it is easier than ever to mix a lot of variety into sets because hip hop is crossing so many genres right now. I like to take advantage of the uptempo by adding some classic dance stuff in there.

...and those sloooow songs are great for half/double timing, always fun.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    *this also applies to dancehall.

Now more than ever! Man, remember when Egyptian came out? That was only two years ago, and at 110 bpm, it was the fastest bashment shit I'd ever heard. Everybody was wondering how the hell to get to it (enter Dr. Sample--LAAAAASERS!). Now, Egyptian is the throwback riddim you play as a stepping stone to the really fast stuff (116-125).

Then you get hot new stuff like Scallawah and Sleepy Dog, both of which are about 82 bpm, handy for transitions out of roots/lover's rock stuff. It seems like 90-105 is kinda the dancehall no man's land right now.

With hip-hop, there's tons of stuff at 100 and 110, but not much at 105. You can cheat up/down to get there, but just a couple of hot new joints at 105 would help.

Guess I gotta work on my "scratch drops" and not get so hung up on mixing.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yeah, zactly. There's a ton of hip hop stuff at 100 - 110, but down here, nobody and I mean NOBODY, wants to hear it (at lest for new cuts). For the most part its near screw or some jump up Missy or Ciarra shit.

Dancehall is scary right now, it just gets faster and faster by the riddim. I'm wonderind what BPM is it gonna max out at.

Sleepy dog might be a little too snary (is that a word) for subtle transition outta rockers. But yeah...

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    there's some hotness at 105, off the top of my head you got

Busta - Light Ya Ass On Fire
    Lil Kim - The Jump Off
    Ms. Melody - To Sing All Night
    Positive K - I got a man
    MC Lyte - Paper Thin
    RUN DMC - Sucka MCs
    Biz Markie - Spring Again (and it's spring, AGAIN!!!!)

but your right you could always use more new joints at that tempo, in my collection what i'm really lacking is 155-175 but usually i just drop a record if im going up to the dancing with myself/man eater/i'm so excited BPM range. and yeah i know i could half time some of that but it doesn't always work with the theme

• how many bpms would you say still tippin is approx.?
    80?

how many bpms would you say still tippin is approx.?
    80?

73, I believe.

• My fave 105er right now is 213's Gotta Find A Way.

Ain't "Bang It" around thurr too?

True. I think it's about 102 or 103. A lot of the Bay ish is getting faster--that, the other Frontline singles, E-A-Ski's last couple of singles, and of course, Messy Marv's 111-bpm "Get On My Hype" and Mac Dre/E-40/Mac Mall's "Dredio" (120!).

Maybe Keak will bless us with something at 115 to tie it all together....

• b-side = exactly 105 BPMs

• Maybe Keak will bless us with something at 115 to tie it all together....

Have you heard the "eye of the tiger" joint?

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Have you heard the "eye of the tiger" joint?
    It samples it? If so I must hear!! I love cheesy cock rock samples!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    My fave 105er right now is 213's Gotta Find A Way.

Yes. YES. YES!!!!!!

Mp3, plaese.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    b-side = exactly 105 BPMs

Ummm, I must correct you, sir. The masking tape on MY copy reads 106. You must be new at this DJing game.