Antony and The Johnsons

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
So I read all the hype and gave Antony a try (ayo-less). I was hoping for a "sad bastard music" quality time. WTF? A dude singing with a fat lady voice "One day I'll grow up and be a beautiful woman". Then a duet with Boy George "You are my sister". Am I supposed to be sad or laughing? I know, and all that.Discutir, por favor.

Comments

• So I read all the hype and gave Antony a try (ayo-less). I was hoping for a "sad bastard music" quality time. WTF? A dude singing with a fat lady voice "One day I'll grow up and be a beautiful woman". Then a duet with Boy George "You are my sister". Am I supposed to be sad or laughing? I know, and all that.

Discutir, por favor.

I like some of his stuff. I saw him do "You Are My Sister" on one of the late night shows and he straight killed it (no pun intended). I'm sure a lot of people on the board would hate it though.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    So I read all the hype and gave Antony a try (ayo-less). I was hoping for a "sad bastard music" quality time. WTF? A dude singing with a fat lady voice "One day I'll grow up and be a beautiful woman". Then a duet with Boy George "You are my sister". Am I supposed to be sad or laughing? I know, and all that.

Discutir, por favor.

One day we will all grow up to be beautiful women. That's the message I take away from the music.

• Hope Theres Someone is pretty fucking devastating. That being said, I can't take more than a song or two at a time. I dunno, maybe I'm in touch with my EhYo more than some folks, but I think he has a pretty original and touching voice.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah I enjoyed the album a lot though it's probably best in small doses think it does grow on you. Am disturbed by Antony's similarity to Brit comedienne Kathy Burke though:

Kathy:

Antony:

• its killer because he sounds like a fat gothy bryan ferry impersonator - which he is. get eno in to 'treat' some tape loops in the background and we have ourselves a freakish hotel louge roxy music covers group. with lots of songs about bumming and that.