Power Of Zeus: Reissues vs Originals

echilontaniechilontani 24 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Hello everyone,I'd want know strutters opinions about the differences between reissues and original of POZ's lp: how to recognize an original pressing?Any aid is greatly appreciated !Peace,Antonio

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    reissue is the super slick all-one-piece scorpio type.
    very easy to tell. my reissue also has a typo on the label,
    on "Sorcerer of Isis" although I don't know if the typo
    is on the OG also.

• the fact is that I've obtained a sealed copy and after an accurate look (without open it) I'm not sure is an og...

other suggest ?

again, is the entire cover glossy, front and back?

does the shrinkwrap have a seam down the middle of the back cover?

• the cover is glossy and i've find the seam

reissue

• how can i recognize an original ?

• I remember being confused about my og as well, but then I realized they don't make promotional reissues. The inside seems mighty white for a 70's og.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    I don't have an OG Power of Zeus, but I have a few other OGs on the Rare Earth label (Toe Fat, Dennis Stoner). The OGs have light grey cardboard inside the record jacket, and the POZ reissue is white on the inside.

• Anybody know how much an og on rare earth is? I passed on one today for 35.... didn't want to spend the cash...

It could (and has) gone higher on eBay, but I'd
    say $30-$40 is about right for that album. Cool
    heavy rock record with a great break, but not especially
    scarce or unique.

• It could (and has) gone higher on eBay, but I'd
    say $30-$40 is about right for that album. Cool
    heavy rock record with a great break, but not especially
    scarce or unique.

Thanks! Kinda figured... I've heard it before and it never struck me as anything special.

Instead I bought an og AR & machines "echo" for $40... (krautstyle, delay to infinity)

• Do anyone have a genuine og of POZ to describe how must be an og pressing ?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

Instead I bought an og AR & machines "echo" for $40... (krautstyle, delay to infinity)

that record is soooooo dope

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Do anyone have a genuine og of POZ to describe how must be an og pressing ?

Yep...
    The vinyl is medium-weight (not super heavy like a Blue Note DG, and not light like RCA dynaflex). The matrix number itself is stamped: Z4RS-3652-1-D [that's on side 1], Z4RS-3653-1-D [on side 2]. Also, there are several hand etchings in the runout as well: "8-3-70", "RS 51b", "HS 1770-3," and a presser's initials I can't read. The label has a single circular ridge about 2/3 of the way from the center hole.

Inner sleeve should be an orange and red Motown company inner, with lots of Motown/Gordy/Soul LPs on one side, and a fan club order sheet on the other.

Outer jacket probably causes the most confusion. The cardboard is not particularly heavy, and is an off-white/greyish color. Back is not an older-style paste-on; it folds over from the spine. Most I have seen have saw-mark cuts (mine has two).

Hope this helps...

• I've opened my ss copy and the matrix number is: "Z4RS-3653-1-C" (on both sides) and there are these hand etchings in the runout: "HS 1770-3", "RS 51b". The label has also the circular ridge on both sides.

Do you think that is an og ?

Do anyone have a genuine og of POZ to describe how must be an og pressing ?

Yep...
    The vinyl is medium-weight (not super heavy like a Blue Note DG, and not light like RCA dynaflex). The matrix number itself is stamped: Z4RS-3652-1-D [that's on side 1], Z4RS-3653-1-D [on side 2]. Also, there are several hand etchings in the runout as well: "8-3-70", "RS 51b", "HS 1770-3," and a presser's initials I can't read. The label has a single circular ridge about 2/3 of the way from the center hole.

Inner sleeve should be an orange and red Motown company inner, with lots of Motown/Gordy/Soul LPs on one side, and a fan club order sheet on the other.

Outer jacket probably causes the most confusion. The cardboard is not particularly heavy, and is an off-white/greyish color. Back is not an older-style paste-on; it folds over from the spine. Most I have seen have saw-mark cuts (mine has two).

Hope this helps...

Do you think that is an og ?

Well, short of one of us flying to Italy,
    coming to your house, and holding an OG up next to your copy
    for you, I don't see how much more info you can ask for!?!?!

As far as I'm concerned, the seam down the center of the shrinkwrap
    told me it was a RI from the get-go.

What was the inner sleeve?

Was it a plain white one with a hole cut out?

If so, it's the reissue.

• Well, short of one of us flying to Italy,
    coming to your house, and holding an OG up next to your copy
    for you, I don't see how much more info you can ask for!?!?!

could be an idea...