jay dee..cause of death??

nerstylistnerstylist 38 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
does anyone know???

Comments

• hiphopgame.com says "bone marrow disease"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    There's a lot of confusion about this - I've heard he had both liver and kidney problems; I think sohh.com reported it was liver complications but then I realized: without an autopsy, no one can really know.

However, it's no secret that Dilla was in poor health for at least two - three years now. When I interviewed Common last spring, he noted that Jay Dee was supposed to have produced much more of "Be" than he ended up doing, but his illness limited his time.

I also heard that Dilla died in his sleep at the apt. he and Common share in Los Angeles. Talk about a week of highs and lows...Common goes from standing on the Grammy podium on Wed to finding one of closest friends dead at home two days later. The upside is that it sounds like he would have died relatively peacefully: a rare claim in hip-hop, no?

• it's mentioned that Dilla was suffering from malnutrition, just being in the lab or on tour all the time, not eating right.

Anyone who's even done one tour knows that it's really difficult to keep a good diet or even eat at regular intervals. Digging trips can be really similar.

Our generation, especially those of us who live a lot of life on the road, needs to be careful and take care of themselves... it's a crime that someone who's living well could die of malnutrition-related ailments.

it's mentioned that Dilla was suffering from malnutrition, just being in the lab or on tour all the time, not eating right.

Anyone who's even done one tour knows that it's really difficult to keep a good diet or even eat at regular intervals. Digging trips can be really similar.

Our generation, especially those of us who live a lot of life on the road, needs to be careful and take care of themselves... it's a crime that someone who's living well could die of malnutrition-related ailments.

I got some more info, through a friend of Dilla's attorney (now, sadly, handling funeral arrangements) that Dilla came off the Donuts tour b/c he was feeling sick but didn't want to go on dialysis. I'm not sure what the timeline was on this but no one - including Dilla - was aware of how sick he was since it sounds like he basically went home to sleep it off and then passed in the night.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Damnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• man...thats nuts. & knowing that he could have prevented his death by taking better care of himself makes it even more tragic..

it's mentioned that Dilla was suffering from malnutrition, just being in the lab or on tour all the time, not eating right.

Just to make this clear: Jay Dee probably didn't die from malnutrition directly, however, he cites malnutrition as the reason for his kidney problems so it was a contributing factor.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Its really crazy that people in america seem to place such little value on eating right. That shit is so important.

Please take care of yourselves people.

I think probably the stress of the music industry had alot to do with his untimely passing as well. Its just not the healthiest way to live your life, thats for sure.

He said himself though how often he put music first in his life. I can relate to this sentiment, because its very tempting for people who are passionate just to ignore other concerns in their life.

This really is a sad day for hip hop though.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I've seen bone marrow disease mentioned here - is that like cancer? that seems more plausible than malnutrition.

I've seen bone marrow disease mentioned here - is that like cancer? that seems more plausible than malnutrition.

Haz,

I just wrote this above but just to restate again: Jay Dee did not die from malnutrition. However, his kidney failure, according to him, was caused by malnutrition. And it sounds like kidney failure is what killed him.

I had heard bone marrow disease rumor but I haven't found any confirmation of that online. SOHH.com reported "liver failure" but they also reported that DIlla died in the hospital whereas both Stonesthrow and the Yancey family attorney says that Dilla died at home.

'm writing an obit for him for the LA Weekly and I'm finding a lot of conflicting info out there. We just don't know much right now.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

I got some more info, through a friend of Dilla's attorney (now, sadly, handling funeral arrangements) that Dilla came off the Donuts tour b/c he was feeling sick but didn't want to go on dialysis. I'm not sure what the timeline was on this but no one - including Dilla - was aware of how sick he was since it sounds like he basically went home to sleep it off and then passed in the night.

wow, that hit me pretty fuckin hard, that's the saddest thing I've heard in a while. my heart goes out to Common too. I can't even imagine the ill feelings something like that would conjure.

• According to stories from the AP newswire, he died from complications due to lupus:

"Lupus is a disease in which a person's immune system goes into overdrive and attacks the body's normal, healthy cells."

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryne...ia/13844644.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupus_erythematosus

It looks like he may have died due to kidney failure, which can happen in lupus cases.

RIP Dilla.

Damn, this is the third reason given so far.

According to stories from the AP newswire, he died from complications due to lupus:

"Lupus is a disease in which a person's immune system goes into overdrive and attacks the body's normal, healthy cells."

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryne...ia/13844644.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupus_erythematosus

It looks like he may have died due to kidney failure, which can happen in lupus cases.

RIP Dilla.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    RIP DILLA.
    disheartening.

• what a loss. RIP Jay Dilla.