Dubstep What exactly is it? Brits plaese explain

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
A friend of mine gave me a mixtape (yes a TAPE) dubbed off of a mix cd that had this new stuff called DUBSTEP. Its hard to describe, but I like it. The mix had no info and I'm kind of curious what the deal with this stuff is. I like it, but I wouldnt know where to begin picking some up. Anybody out there have any insight into this new(?) phenom?

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I hope this ain't a castoff of 2step. With dub influences.

What does it sound like?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Yes, it actually IS a mix of Dub and Two-Step, but more the former than the later. Anyone have some suggestions about artists to check? The mix I have have has half instrumentals and half vocals and I have to say Im feeling the instrumentals a little more.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    paging lil tiger

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    somebody played me some dubstep records and it sounds like instrumental grime to me

A friend of mine gave me a mixtape (yes a TAPE) dubbed off of a mix cd that had this new stuff called DUBSTEP. Its hard to describe, but I like it. The mix had no info and I'm kind of curious what the deal with this stuff is. I like it, but I wouldnt know where to begin picking some up. Anybody out there have any insight into this new(?) phenom?

Hello, I like it too.

Go here.

somebody played me some dubstep records and it sounds like instrumental grime to me

Check this.

paging lil tiger
    paging lil tiger
    paging lil tiger
    paging lil tiger
    paging lil tiger

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    he's on a plane back to the city for our gig tonight.

he's on a plane back to the city for our gig tonight.

Dog, ask Ciph about Midway Games. interesting shit.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    correction. he missed his flight.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Most grime you'll buy over here is instrumental. Like most black music scenes in Uk its heavily influenced by Jamiaca. So it has 'riddims', like ragga. You'll get a big rhythm, that all mc's will want to rhyme over, but this is done live and not in a released form, like the ragga rhythm comps.

Dubstep is very similar to grime. But it's more like real slow drum'n'bass than 2-step + dub. Although those would sound almost the same.

Basically (IMHO), the people who liked d&b and the people who like uk garage/us hiphop (of the modern keyboard variety) both got into / helped create grime. Now the bastard child of one is dubstep and the other grime. Does that make any sense?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    So is it Rap or HipHop?

• I've heard a few records and it ain't bad, sounds like a good idear to me. And if you dig around you can find some decent 2-step/grime/speed garage joints. Like everything, you gotta be picky, but they're out there.

$??

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    So is it Rap or HipHop?

Quite clearly its neither.

• its pretty big here in bristol. its really boring and a bit like a more menacing instro grime.
    not even any of the hyper aggression of grime. thats what makes grime good (ish... sort of)

basically - white boys with dreads and students. leave it at home.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    to me, dubstep is:

a) like the IDM version of grime, which is to say the tracks aren't as minimal and they're produced a little better, with a lot more background sounds..

b) what drum n bass should sound like in the year 2006, instead of Amen loops ad nauseum... grime uses a lot of the same low end bass sounds as drum n bass, as well as a lot of ragga samples...

considering how similar grime and dubstep are, it's suprising how little crossover there is between the two scenes untilvery recently when some grime mc's have started working w/ dubstep producers...

"late night request line" by skream is like the dubstep anthem (i have the 12", no mp3, but google it if you care...), just a great song with a melody that sticks in your head...

also, the Vex'd LP on planet mu is amazing...