13»

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Herbie Mann?

Herbie Mann is awesome.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Herbie Mann?

Herbie Mann is awesome.

I will cosign this as well. He was great at picking songs and always kept a really tight band.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Herbie Mann?

Herbie Mann is awesome.

I will cosign this as well. He was great at picking songs and always kept a really tight band.

Yes, Herbie Mann was really good at everything
    he was involved with, except playing the flute

Herbie Mann?

Herbie Mann is awesome.

Dude! He may not have been the BEST flautist in Jazz, but he certainly was good and had a major influence in bringing(and keeping) the flute into prominence from the 50s thru the 70s! His 50s/60s Afro-Cuban LPs are on par with some of Cal Tjader's and his LPs with Roy Ayers and Sonny Sharrock are some of the finest funky jazz of the 70s!

• ryanryan 334 Posts

Herbie Mann?

Herbie Mann is awesome.

Awesome if you like your records with Duane Allman guitar solos!

Herbie Mann?

Herbie Mann is awesome.

Did you buy like one avarage Herbie Mann record in your digging lifetime and you are commenting from that?

Dude has like 200 LPs, and I think it's safe to say of those 195 don't have anything to do with what you described.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Herbie Mann?

Herbie Mann is awesome.

Did you buy like one avarage Herbie Mann record in your digging lifetime and you are commenting from that?

Dude has like 200 LPs, and I think it's safe to say of those 195 don't have anything to do with what you described.

You tell 'im, C***s! Like you got this terd... nothing whatsoever to do with Duane Allman... sucks in a completely different way:

Herbie Mann?

Herbie Mann is awesome.

You tell 'im, C***s! Like you got this terd... nothing whatsoever to do with Duane Allman... sucks in a completely different way:

EXACTLY.

Only a true Herbie fan (MannFans, we call 'em) could pull that terdaliscious example outta thin air.

• Herbie Mann?

Herbie Mann is awesome.

EXACTLY.

Only a true Herbie fan (MannFans, we call 'em) could pull that terdaliscious example outta thin air.

It's all about the chest haer....

"This one time, at band camp, I took this flute and...."

• I saw this thread late..

This magazine totally sucks. Its like they figured out a way to get Creed Taylor to overcompress their magazine. Its like an alternate universe where the Sex Pistols were a jazz funk group. Its depressing.

Although Dante's stuff is great always and I'm glad it has a forum.. Also the Italian disco scene article written by one of the 'last night a dj saved my life' guys was fantastic.

Anyways, unless its going to be astonishingly beautiful physically, is a print magazine for this type of stuff really needed when soul strut is getting 4 million hits a month and more knowledge is dropped here and on other forums everyday than in any issue of wax po??

This magazine totally sucks.

Its like an alternate universe where the Sex Pistols were a jazz funk group.

Although Dante's stuff is great always and I'm glad it has a forum.. Also the Italian disco scene article written by one of the 'last night a dj saved my life' guys was fantastic.

yet

This magazine totally sucks.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Dude! He may not have been the BEST flautist in Jazz, but he certainly was good and had a major influence in bringing(and keeping) the flute into prominence from the 50s thru the 70s! His 50s/60s Afro-Cuban LPs are on par with some of Cal Tjader's and his LPs with Roy Ayers and Sonny Sharrock are some of the finest funky jazz of the 70s!

OK, I'll back Birdman up in his defense of Herbie Mann. I haven't kept any of his LPs post-'73 (after this it is indeed a walk on terded splinters), but he put out heaps of quality albums before that. Some of it is just your average flute juice, yes, but it's still quality and some of it is top quality.

When I read a mag like Wax Poetics I want a balance of the well-known and the obscure. After all, a story on an artist like Herbie Mann who played with everybody, put out a lot of records and had some importance in music history is bound to have more meat to it than a story on Charlie & His Chicken Scratchers who cut one acetate and had no impact whatsoever. I'd like to read both, and I'm not mad at features on Herbie Mann, Joe Zawinul or Gary McFarland or whatever.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    Detroit techno, shit

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

OK, I'll back Birdman up in his defense of Herbie Mann. I haven't kept any of his LPs post-'73 (after this it is indeed a walk on terded splinters), but he put out heaps of quality albums before that. Some of it is just your average flute juice, yes, but it's still quality and some of it is top quality.

When I read a mag like Wax Poetics I want a balance of the well-known and the obscure. After all, a story on an artist like Herbie Mann who played with everybody, put out a lot of records and had some importance in music history is bound to have more meat to it than a story on Charlie & His Chicken Scratchers who cut one acetate and had no impact whatsoever. I'd like to read both, and I'm not mad at features on Herbie Mann, Joe Zawinul or Gary McFarland or whatever.

I think the gripe is less with wellknown/hitmaking artists--nobody was complaining about the piece on the Mizells, for example--than it was with crap artists like Herbie Mann or Joe Zawinul.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    I saw this thread late..

This magazine totally sucks. Its like they figured out a way to get Creed Taylor to overcompress their magazine. Its like an alternate universe where the Sex Pistols were a jazz funk group. Its depressing.

Anyways, unless its going to be astonishingly beautiful physically, is a print magazine for this type of stuff really needed when soul strut is getting 4 million hits a month and more knowledge is dropped here and on other forums everyday than in any issue of wax po??

But you can't read Soulstrut on the can!
    QUIT HATING or your bro gets no Quinn Harris story love.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts

As a Wax Poetics subscriber, I do endorse this fine piece of toilet literature. However, you can in fact read Soulstrut on the can.

p.s. Herbie Mann gave work to Dave Pike, and introduced him to Bobby Hebb, which led to Pike's version of "Sunny" getting released even before Hebb's! It sure as hell beats Pike's earlier days with the likes of Curtis Counce!!

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    It sure as hell beats Pike's earlier days with the likes of Curtis Counce!!

Please don't be knocking Counce!

Dude put out some solid west coast, hard bop and one of my favorite covers:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Herbie Mann?

Herbie Mann is awesome.

Well, yeah, I was overplaying it for laughs, but
    every Herbie Mann album I own I bought because
    of who else was on it, not to hear Herbie.
    No, maybe he's not the absolute worst flautist in jazz
    - but his soloing is generally the worst thing about any of his tracks.
    I think he put togther great bands, chose excellent material,
    opened the door for a lot of important artists - and for that
    he deserves to be commended. But he also played some of the most boring
    and uncreative solos in the history of jazz!

• JazoistJazoist 78 Posts
    Mizell bros., Skull snaps, Axelrod. These seem hard nuts to crack. Time for a next try, alright I guess

• I thought Quinn forgot he made the 'Masterminds' records.

That sounds like a good story idea. Great records the artists forgot they made.

As for toilet reading, I find label scans to be quite comforting.. though watch out for Wermilingers funk bible as it will expediate the legs falling apart thing..

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I think at least half of my recent posts have been made while I have been taking a shit.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    herbie mann's version of the L.T.G. tune "Waterbed" is really dope...i have a 12" of it but it's probably on an lp...i have had most of his records over the years and they are pretty much...dispensable...almost desposable...nice moments here and there but rarely essential by any stretch. but nice enough...certainly never offensive...which i'd probably prefer. definitely not the first choice for me to think to do a full length article about!~ but i would certainly like to read about the making of the cover of "push push"

• boast1boast1 142 Posts

Herbie Mann?

Herbie Mann is awesome.

what the fuck is wrong with duane allman??

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    did that mizzell bros issue come out before the axelrod?
    cause if so, i never got it!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    did that mizzell bros issue come out before the axelrod?
    cause if so, i never got it!!

Mizzell issue came out after the Axelrod. Withers is the one after that.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    damn.
    i thought i had a subscription. maybe not.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    damn.
    i thought i had a subscription. maybe not.