Is Soulstrut Ageist???

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'm pretty sure I'm younger than everyone who posted in this thread so far so I'm better than all of you. Discuss.

All depends on how much longer you're living with Mom & Dad.
    Shiit, I'm not moving out until I get a real job. Rent is expensive in Hawaii and I'm trying to delay that as long as possible. I have no shame in this at all.

No shame intended...I'm just thinking that before you can be "better than all of us" you should have a job and be out living on your own.....my tongue was just as deep in my cheek as yours was.
    I know I still remember when I was in high school and I was all "I'm moving out as soon as I turn 18 blah blah blah."

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    my tongue was just as deep in my cheek as yours was.

AYyyyy... hang on a minute, that sounds impossible.

Shiit, I'm not moving out until I get a real job. Rent is expensive in Hawaii and I'm trying to delay that as long as possible. I have no shame in this at all.

Yeah, but those 8 y/o kids still riding around in the stroller have no shame either.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'm pretty sure I'm younger than everyone who posted in this thread so far so I'm better than all of you. Discuss.

You forgot to put that in the Reynaldo font...
    I'm not moving out until my parents get their summer home in Hawaii ...

Well, it's fundamentally a hip-hop board, with a pop-feel appeal.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Yeah, but those 8 y/o kids still riding around in the stroller have no shame either.
    I wish I could have been riding around in a stroller at 8.

Ben E. King is the dude. Fell off for over a decade and then came back with heat. And it's a Young MC sample.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

dude.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    my tongue was just as deep in my cheek as yours was.

AYyyyy... hang on a minute, that sounds impossible.

It's just a rumor that my tongue was cut out of my mouth years ago and now all I can do is type....a rumor I tell ya!!!

• I'm pretty sure I'm younger than everyone who posted in this thread so far so I'm better than all of you. Discuss.

dude.

Sayin' though, they don't have one yet?!?!

What kind of baller are you?!

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts
    Well, it's fundamentally a hip-hop board, with a pop-feel appeal.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

dude.

Baller? Having a summer home is a middle-class thing, which is why I'm almost embarrassed that my parents don't have one yet.

• I'm pretty sure I'm younger than everyone who posted in this thread so far so I'm better than all of you. Discuss.

dude.

Baller? Having a summer home is a middle-class thing, which is why I'm almost
    embarrassed that my parents don't have one yet.

Maybe your, ummm their, credit card bills are too high.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Off top, I think of folks like Walter Matthau (R.I.P.), Stevie Wonder, Jessica Tandy (R.I.P.), Katherine Hepburn (R.I.P.), Eugene Levy, Diane Keaton, Tina Turner, Virginia Capers (R.I.P.), Jack Nicholson, Rolling Stones, Ruby Dee, Shirley MacLaine, etc.

Pretty much all of those people fell off with advanced age (the ones that were worth a schitt to begin with).

I mean, the Rolling Stones??? Dudes are straight embarassing.

You're not doing much for your argument with those examples.

Is SoulStrut ageist?

Well, it's fundamentally a hip-hop board. People on here are into a lot of different things, but I think for most of them, hip-hop was the starting point and, to an extent, remians the prism through which they understand a lot of these other musics.

And hip-hop is a youth music, so ageism is hardly unexpected. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it in this context.

You sound ridiculous. The Rolling Stones are still selling out concerts in their SIXTH decades of life (same with Tina Turner). How many arenas have you sold out, kiddo? I think Tandy won an Oscar (or was nominated) in her 80's ("Driving Miss Daisy"). Will you even be alive or functional at that age? Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson starred in one of the top grossing movies at the box office ("Something's Gotta Give") in 2003 (or '04). The list goes on and on. Don't talk shit just for the sake of talking shit. This routine is getting old.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I still remember when I was in high school and my folks were all "You're on your own as soon as you turn 18 blah blah blah." [/b]

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Off top, I think of folks like Walter Matthau (R.I.P.), Stevie Wonder, Jessica Tandy (R.I.P.), Katherine Hepburn (R.I.P.), Eugene Levy, Diane Keaton, Tina Turner, Virginia Capers (R.I.P.), Jack Nicholson, Rolling Stones, Ruby Dee, Shirley MacLaine, etc.

Pretty much all of those people fell off with advanced age (the ones that were worth a schitt to begin with).

Is SoulStrut ageist?

Well, it's fundamentally a hip-hop board. People on here are into a lot of different things, but I think for most of them, hip-hop was the starting point and, to an extent, remians the prism through which they understand a lot of these other musics.

And hip-hop is a youth music, so ageism is hardly unexpected. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it in this context.

You sound ridiculous. The Rolling Stones are still selling out concerts in their SIXTH decades of life (same with Tina Turner). How many arenas have you sold out, kiddo? I think Tandy won an Oscar (or was nominated) in her 80's ("Driving Miss Daisy"). Will you even be alive or functional at that age? Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson starred in one of the top grossing movies at the box office ("Something's Gotta Give") in 2003 (or '04). The list goes on and on. Don't talk shit just for the sake of talking shit. This routine is getting old.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

So now economics are the best way to measure artistic accomplishment?

An interesting change of tune, Stacks...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Is SoulStrut ageist?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Oh, so I guess Jessica Tandy, Jack Nicholson, and Diane Keaton can't act, and the Stones and Tina Turner are talentless?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Off top, I think of folks like Walter Matthau (R.I.P.), Stevie Wonder, Jessica Tandy (R.I.P.), Katherine Hepburn (R.I.P.), Eugene Levy, Diane Keaton, Tina Turner, Virginia Capers (R.I.P.), Jack Nicholson, Rolling Stones, Ruby Dee, Shirley MacLaine, etc.

Is SoulStrut ageist?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

STILL no eyerolling graemlin?

Is SoulStrut ageist?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Oh, so I guess Jessica Tandy, Jack Nicholson, and Diane Keaton can't act, and the Stones and Tina Turner are talentless?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Didn't say that--I merely said that most of the people you listed have long ago fallen off.

If you can't recognize that Jack Nicholson and the Stones are both now caricatures, then I doubt you understand what made any of their previous work worthwhile.

You're the one that inroduced their continued moneymaking ability as evidence of their artistic merit, and I'm still interested in hearing about how you reoncile this argument with your ocndemnation of all that is popular in contemporary rap.

Is SoulStrut ageist?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Didn't say that--I merely said that most of the people you listed have long ago fallen off.

If you can't recognize that Jack Nicholson and the Stones are both now caricatures, then I doubt you understand what made any of their previous work worthwhile.

You're the one that inroduced their continued moneymaking ability as evidence of their artistic merit, and I'm still interested in hearing about how you reoncile this argument with your ocndemnation of all that is popular in contemporary rap.

You've obviously missed my BIGGER argument. What sense does it make to disparage people who have aged when they still REMAIN effective at what they do? I've not said they haven't changed, sure they're older. But, the Stones still sell out arenas and Nicholson still puts assess in seats at theaters, AND both maintain their talents.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Is SoulStrut ageist?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

You've obviously missed my BIGGER argument. What sense does it make to disparage people who have aged when they still REMAIN effective at what they do? I've not said they haven't changed, sure they're older. But, the Stones still sell out arenas and Nicholson still puts assess in seats at theaters, AND both maintain their talents.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Well what is that you think that they "do"?

Your feeling is that they are engaged primarily in moneymaking, rather than in acting or making music?

Because they haven't been very effective at the latter in a long time.

Is SoulStrut ageist?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Your feeling is that they are engaged primarily in moneymaking, rather than in acting or making music?

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. I'd say the fact that many older musical artists (e.g., the Stones, Paul McCartney, Tina Turner, Neil Young) still put on a helluva a show (i.e., they are entertaining which is what entertainers should do, right?), and many older actors/actresses (e.g., Jack Nicholson, Diane Keaton, Morgan Freeman) play their parts well on film (and still get cast for many of them in spite of Hollywood's age bias) speaks for their continued viability and talent (in addition to critical acclaim). I'd say the evidence weighs more heavily on my perspective than yours. What are your opinions based on?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• i respect my elders. i usually actually hate teens. i'm always giving teenagers dirty looks on the bus when they are being all obnoxious and think they are the shit and most of my experiences with them in san francisco make me think that most of them are morons

anyway, friday i went to my boyfriend's grandma's funeral and i couldn't believe how fun and celebratory it was. she was 96, born in 1909 (?!?!), and although she was old school when it came to catholicism, she was a very fun grandma who had a passion for living and having cocktail parties all the time gatsby style even though she didn't have the bread. she wanted balloons at her funeral and an after party in her room where we would all do shots of jameson. even though i didn't know her too long, i was moved to tears by the eulogy. mimu grew up during the great depression, lived through two ww's, hubby jumped off the golden gate bridge after coming home from the war and she raised 2 daughters on her own with no money all the while projecting glamour and positivity. i have far more respect for older people because they didn't grow up in an age of cushiness and have more than likely been challenged and tested by history and crisis.

and steve martin rules, but peter sellers ruless harder for clouseau

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    i have far more respect for older people because they didn't grow up in an age of cushiness and have more than likely been challenged and tested by history and crisis.

cosign. on a related note with mr. jarvis cocker (no ayo):

Help the aged,
    one time they were just like you,
    drinking, smoking cigs and sniffing glue. Help the aged,
    don't just put them in a home,
    can't have much fun in there all on their own.

Give a hand, if you can,
    try and help them to unwind.
    Give them hope & give them comfort 'cos they're running out of time.

*In the meantime we try.
    Try to forget that nothing lasts forever. No big deal so give us all a feel.
    Funny how it all falls away.
    When did you first realise?
    It's time you took an older lover baby. Teach you stuff
    although he's looking rough.
    Funny how it all falls away.

Help the aged
    'cos one day you'll be older too
    - you might need someone who can
    pull you through
    & if you look very hard
    behind the lines upon their face you may see where you are headed
    and it's such a lonely place.

[*Repeat]
    You can dye your hair
    but it's the one thing you can't change.
    Can't run away from yourself, yourself...

[*Repeat]
    Funny how it all falls away. [x3]
    So help the aged.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Is SoulStrut ageist?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. I'd say the fact that many older musical artists (e.g., the Stones, Paul McCartney, Tina Turner, Neil Young) still put on a helluva a show (i.e., they are entertaining which is what entertainers should do, right?), and many older actors/actresses (e.g., Jack Nicholson, Diane Keaton, Morgan Freeman) play their parts well on film (and still get cast for many of them in spite of Hollywood's age bias) speaks for their continued viability and talent (in addition to critical acclaim). I'd say the evidence weighs more heavily on my perspective than yours. What are your opinions based on?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big Stacks, No one is telling you that you are too old to do anything! It just seems like you are really mad about it! You are only as old as you feel man. But long winded rants about rap's good ole days and going to wings reunion concerts probably doesn't help things.

• Raps good ole days were the shit and if you weren't there, you ain't knowin'. Today is all good, too. I still get that magical feeling when I hear a new rhyme or beat that makes me go "ahh shit!!" making my neck go into a bobbing frenzy. It happens all the time, but you can't hate on the elders if they made you feel like that once. If you weren't there, trust me, they did it. Everything was built on their backs so we should give them respect for life. The youth should get respect as well because they breath new life into it, so long as they pay their dues.

• Stacks,

I feel your comments for the right reasons, but that Stones halftime performance at the SBowl was straight garbage. How many NFL fans want to see M Jagger shaking his pelvis at 60?? Made me want to puke. Faux Rills.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Stacks,

I feel your comments for the right reasons, but that Stones halftime performance at the SBowl was straight garbage. How many NFL fans want to see M Jagger shaking his pelvis at 60?? Made me want to puke. Faux Rills.

thank you.

I cant believe that shit is cool, but janets tit is totally offensive.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,897 Posts
    I saw Pharoah Sanders a few years ago and there wasn't one man in the band under say 60 years old. And they all kicked butt. They put out massive energy without breaking sweat. I was there with a young jazz drummer in his 20s and he hit the nail on the head - there's no substitute for experience. You physically have to live a certain amount of years before you "get" things, in all aspects of life IMHO.

But yeah, Steve Martin has stunk of late. Gone commercial in a massive way. "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" was his peak for me. That one with Queen Latifah? Holy racial stereotype Batman!

• First off, I'm 24.

I've got enough respect for anyone older than me. They lived through a time I wish I grew up in.

The super surviving 70+ crew (and younger in the US) have actually survived wars and gone through way tougher than a lot of us probably might be able to even handle. Thats pretty hardcroe and I think too many folls forget it when they look at em.

Also I still respect The Rolling Stones... so what they're older... they still put on a good show and the music is still pretty rocking (okay its not too innovative these days, but thats their sound and I can dig it). Dudes like James Brown are still . Its still the same dude under the older looks. Deal with it.