Jesus, SNL was terrible tonight...

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I mean seriously, its an hour into it, and I havent laughed yet. Steve Martin sucks.

Comments

• i'm guessing this is the first time you've watched it in 5 years or so?

• no, I watch every episode. As much shit as the show gets, I still stick with it. To me, the show still has its moments..good enough to keep watching..but tonight was honestly an all time low. It needs more Hader,Samberg, and the other 2 guys from The Lonely Island.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up, I haven't been expecting much lately. I think since Tina Fey blew up with Mean Girls and her baby the show has suffered.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    i'm guessing this is the first time you've watched it in 15 years or so?

• edubedub 715 Posts
    was Prince at least good?

I was thinking of watching it just for him. Has he come one yet on the East Coast? Let me know when he does... and if it's worth watching. Thanks

• was Prince at least good?

I was thinking of watching it just for him. Has he come one yet on the East Coast? Let me know when he does... and if it's worth watching. Thanks

nah, I wasnt digging Prince at all either. Lousy episode all together.

• I gave up on SNL years ago. I don't remember the last time I watched a full episode.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    was Prince at least good?

nah, I wasnt digging Prince at all either. Lousy episode all together.

ok, thanks. I guess I'll just go to bed early then...

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    hmm, do u jus not like prince in general or did u think the performance was bad. i personally was feelin it but ima pretty bg prince fan so i might be a lil biased.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Prince's shit was pretty tight, but how'd he not make an appearance in the Prince show skit.

DUDEZ
    PRINCE'S PERFORMANCE RIGHT BEFORE WEEKEND UPDATE
    FUKIN KILLED IT

PRINCE HAS GOT THE POWER
    DUDE CAN DO NO WRONG
    FUKIN SLAYED THAT WHAMMY BAR
    LIKE WHOA

WALKED OFF THE STAGE LIKE A CHAMP, RECEPTION RINGING EARDRUMS

AUDIENCE IN SHOCK

DUDE IS A AXE SLAYER SUPREME

SHREDD IS NOT DEAD. SNL MIGHT BE THOUGH.

UH OH, COCOA BUTTA AARON NEVILLE SKIT

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    It needs more Hader,Samberg, and the other 2 guys from The Lonely Island.

I was with you until this.

- spidey

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    steve martin is a comedic genius. it's not his fault if the show sucks. the writers are to blame for that one.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    steve martin is a comedic genius. it's not his fault if the show sucks. the writers are to blame for that one.

dude just did cheaper by the dozen 2. Was that the writers again? Steve martin is Old and he sucks. Period.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

dude just did cheaper by the dozen 2 Pink Panther. Was that the writers again? Steve martin is Old and he sucks. Period. But he stil gets to co-star with Beyonce.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    shut the fuck up steve martin is a legend. he's at a point in his career where he's comfortable banging out shit movies as an ammends to studios and to pay the bills while his "serious" work and his writing (comparatively) flies under the radar.

i haven't shopgirl but i'd like to. i did not see SNL and i'm thankful.

ask EPMD...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    shut the fuck up steve martin is a legend. he's at a point in his career where he's comfortable banging out shit movies as an ammends to studios and to pay the bills while his "serious" work and his writing (comparatively) flies under the radar.

i haven't shopgirl but i'd like to. i did not see SNL and i'm thankful.

ask EPMD...

Hey, Noz,

I haven't seen or heard about anything else by steve martin recently but his major studio stuff (cheaper by the dozen, etc). What do you suggest checking out?

peace

h

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Noz, three words - Leap of Faith.

Your boy Steve Martin is a cornball.

What on this list jumps out at you as "legend"ary?

And you better not come back with Planes, Trains & Automobiles!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I haven't seen or heard about anything else by steve martin recently but his major studio stuff (cheaper by the dozen, etc). What do you suggest checking out?

more than anything else i'd actually recommend reading:

which is a collection of his humor pieces for the new yorker.

As far as movies, I thought Novacaine was a pretty good dark comedy, but i'm probably in the minority with that.

I'm by no means cosigning terds like cheaper or father of the bride, but we're talking about one of the greatest comedians/comic actors of all time.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    "The Jerk" is classic and his performance in "little shop of horrors" was pretty funny.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I gave up on SNL years ago. I don't remember the last time I watched a full episode.

I gave up on SNL years ago. I don't remember the last time I watched a full episode.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

The Jerk (1979)
    Steve Martin: A Wild and Crazy Guy (1978)

'nuff said. These alone solidify legendary status, regardless of how many sequals to Father of the Bride he was involved in. What you need to understand is that first and foremost the man is a comedian/comedy writer. He tells jokes. Many great comedians spend their entire careers trying to translate their act into a viable big screen commodity (or worse, taking shit roles so they can pay the bills while continuing to do what they do best), very few succeed at it. Martin has the fortune of having at least a few films which are pretty much pure representations of his comic sensibilities.

And that's not even considering the formative role he played in the development of SNL.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

The Jerk (1979)
    Steve Martin: A Wild and Crazy Guy (1978)

'nuff said. These alone solidify legendary status, regardless of how many sequals to Father of the Bride he was involved in. What you need to understand is that first and foremost the man is a comedian/comedy writer. He tells jokes. Many great comedians spend their entire careers trying to translate their act into a viable big screen commodity (or worse, taking shit roles so they can pay the bills while continuing to do what they do best), very few succeed at it. Martin has the fortune of having at least a few films which are pretty much pure representations of his comic sensibilities.

And that's not even considering the formative role he played in the development of SNL.

Steve Martin's contributions to American comedy cannot be denied.

" I was born a poor Black child..."

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    The Spanish Prisoner was a great movie. As was Parenthood imo.

• SNL, asides from weekend update, has been pretty terrible lately. They haven't developed any good character sketches, and rely too hard on spoofs and parodies. That being said, I think last nights show was really different than any other recent shows they've done. I think Steve Martin had a hand in a lot of sketches and as a result there were less spoofs, almost making it like an old SNL. The only parodies I saw were the prince show skit (how good did Maya Rudolph look!?) and the Aaron Neville, Aretha, Dr John skits, and they were pretty weak, although the girl's Drew Barrymore impression was great.
    Anyways, when it comes to sketch comedy, its all about Mad TV right now, they're killing SNL.

Also are we really discussing Steve Martin's genius? Yeah, he's fallen off a little bit lately, but dude is getting old and his comedy style is changing. His movies now are wack, but his writing is pretty good, I mean his books and stories, he's taking it in that direction. His movies in the past were pretty fucking good, I'm glad morocco mentioned Parenthood, and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was pretty funny. Oh yeah, and his cameo in the Muppet movie, classic.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    no, I watch every episode. As much shit as the show gets, I still stick with it.

Steve Martin used to be the funniest mime evar. Then he went I have a pretty hilarious Dennis Pennis episode where he follows celebs round with a mic that says "BBC" so of course all the pretentious yanks lap it up. He gets Steve to come over and says "Hi Steve, BBC... long pause... how come you're not funny anymore?" Killed Martin dead. No comeback. Pretty much sums it up for me.

• Come on now.

Also, wasn't he dating Anne Heche before she hooked up with Ellen?

The Spanish Prisoner was a great movie. As was Parenthood imo.

yes