WEEKEND FINDS start here

Comments

• " might as well send that shit to the smithsoneum ".

smithsoneum : ap's collection

location material instant soulstrut classic.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    records did not missed tha boat to Japan and Europe, dude.

i cry everyday about this

agreed
    say hi to OJ for us if you bump into him at Brentwood juice jointz
    ivy leaf and rich patronage
    wesside

• props to marcofunk and roy at record recycler.

later.

ap

• Nathan Davis- Suite for MLK (the OG OG pressing/cover, not the one that was on ebay like all last year)
    Frank Cunimondo- Top Shelf Collection
    Impressions- People get Ready
    Donald Byrd- Blackjack
    Lou Donaldson- Say it loud
    Cal Tjader- sounds out Burt Bacharach
    Bobby Naughton- Solo Vibraphone (on otic)
    Clarke/Boland Big Band- All Smiles (BASF- gotta love the topless girl photo)
    Stanley Cowell- New World
    Jimmy Heath- Jimmy (i think this is a late 70s reissue of 'Gap Sealer')
    PRT- Holy Intellect
    and some freebies from work, including
    Gerry Mulligan Mosaic box set
    Cecil Taylor- 3 phasis

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

it is so funny how some of these modern records are so " rare " now. that shit used to be sitting in 30 count boxes at the rodium. japan is stocked with that record, there are so many " rare " soul records from the 70's and 80's like that in japan it is absurd. i remember selling thay record on ebay before too back in 2000 or 2001. i think it is an EP. correct?

ap

well youre pretty lucky if you had quantity of this... the band hasnt had a copy since it came out, there was maybe 300 pressed but most likely less from what i was told. ive never seen it for sale but have had numerous japanese, australian, and euro folks asking me for a copy for YEARS! its one of those records i never thought id get... and its from Stockton. not too far away from here...

if you still have quantity can i get a copy on the strength? next time im able to drive ill come down there and give you a nice massage for it... rawr!

• that sounds rad but no way do i have this record anymore. i sure do remember it however. it must have busted loose down here and vanished.

• i NEVER end an auction early. if i stopped that auction and sold that stones boot for $800 last weekend i would be $2950 poorer. it is against our policy to end auctions early and have never done it. not even once. i can tell you every time i am offered an outrageous price to stop an item, the item always closes for more than the offer. i can only remember this not happening one time and every list we are asked to stop auctions.

it is so funny how some of these modern records are so " rare " now. that shit used to be sitting in 30 count boxes at the rodium. japan is stocked with that record, there are so many " rare " soul records from the 70's and 80's like that in japan it is absurd. i remember selling thay record on ebay before too back in 2000 or 2001. i think it is an EP. correct?

that record is like the black ivory record from the same era. older groups doing budget last gasp shit. the delfonics did one like that on poogie. the waters have two like that. private last horrah shit.

rare is some cracked in half blues 78 or 45 or some shit. not some 80's modern record that there used to be quanity on. it does not mean that it will not sell for $800. go go! i am rooting that shit on.

i bought a record by an artist called phyliss bailey on a private label out of LA today. excellent soul boogie ala james mason.

never had it before. anyone know it? it is excellent.

ap

interesting anthony,

but i must add that most of the private pressings out there (artist released records) were done for promotional reasons and rarely exceeded 2,000 copies. most are 1000 runs. some are 500 runs.

all the 45's that are sought after and deemed rare are available in the exact same quantities. i think the main reason you personally don't consider these 80's records rare is because you were ahead of the curve and saw how many of these things were sitting around. however if you were doing funk & soul 45's about 10 years earlier you may have seen the same thing. box of third guitar's. when talking with john anderson i got the exact same vibe from him regarding northern soul and funk 45's. he was talking about how he had buried a 100 count box of guitar ray's or something like that.

• those guys were holding live auctions on package deals to the japanese in the parking lot at PCC at 4 am when i was scratching my ass in santa cruz trying to remember where i stashed the bong and you were at uni high throwing ceramic somkewear and shit. 1991 bt express 1980 lp for $80.

this is just straight insanity. i need a video clip.

• YOUR BUYERS GETS NO OFFERS THROUGH, DOGG!

lol

I put a buy it now on an item for $499. Of course, it did not sell after a couple days so I removed the buy it now. The item ended at $800. I was chuffed.

Don't you know a record isn't rare unless other people want it?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    he was talking about how he had buried a 100 count box of guitar ray's or something like that.

• Hi!

Scarcity of an item belongs to not really how many were pressed but how many were destroyed as well as the year of the item.

Fewer phonographic records were destroyed after 1990 when people began to understand they had value. People began saving them as opposed to throwing them away because they were "worthless".

This is not unlike the phenomenon of still packaged Star Wars action figures from the 90's that are so " collectable " but far from rare or in demand. People held them instead of using them up and dumping them.

So theoretically 80's small press records have a better chance of being preserved than 50's or 60's small press records because they have only begun to emerge in the past 10 or 15 years.

More importantly many acts and artists from the 70's and 80's were also contacted and the records were bought and dealt hence they have been made available through dealers. This is most often the case in Japan. This is why many items are available there that are "rare" here are available in Japan.

The really scarce items are the ones in which the quantity was destroyed. Rare 45's and 78's are more rare than LP's because they were discarded, scratched from being left out of the jacket, broken and destroyed.

Records that were recalled and destroyed like Kerouac??on Dot are thousands of dollars because only a few promos leaked. TMOQ is rare because dude got busted for bootlegging' mega rock acts and his inventory was destroyed by the Feds. the 4th Cymande record is rare because hundreds of the copies were thrown in a garbage can. Milton Wright and late TK related stuff is rare because the owner of the label burned down his warehouse in an insurance scam and all the late stuff was destroyed. rare titles on TK, Drive and so on are a bitch. they were all melted.

ap

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Crate diggers sighted at T.K. disco inferno.

• I found this for 50 cents:

Some French guy is trying to give me $500 for this right now--saying he's been looking for it for 20 years. Anyone ever have/sold a copy of this before? Is it really a modern soul grail like that?

I was recently selling a common 45 by that group and had someone randomly contact me to say they would pay me $400 if I had a copy of that EP, so apparently this is a grail for some people. Can't wait to find a copy in the Amoeba dollar bin...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

let it run[/b]
    Glad I did--$500 with three days left; plus great collectro beppesoul is 'bout to get up in there, too.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Just a few things:
    Coke Escovedo - Comin' At Ya
    The Manhattans - Forever By Your Side
    Spiritual Concept - S/T

SG

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts

i believe this is the best thing i have ever seen in the form of a joke on the strut....I am still laughing and will do so until Wednesday...

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    http://www.canyonlife.com/images/firefighters.gif

i believe this is the best thing i have ever seen in the form of a joke on the strut....I am still laughing and will do so until Wednesday...
    Co-sign. Hillarious.

let it run[/b]
    Glad I did--$500 with three days left; plus great collectro beppesoul is 'bout to get up in there, too.

heh, get that foreign ca$h Rey!

put on C.R.E.A.M. when you're packaging it

btw, you gots nice packaging on them lps, no ayo

• Haven't posted any finds in a while so here is the past week or so.

This is on International Artists and with my first listen I was convinced that it was Rocky and the Elevators under a fake name. Further listens brought me to the conclusion that it's just a total rip-off band. Good record though!

Some folks say that's the best IA record. My favorite is Easter Everywhere, but that is totally worth copping at least the Get Back reish. Did you find an OG?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    he following were from thrifts/fleas/and helping my friend move some records at his new record/book/art shop in brooklyn (see seperate thread soon!).

First Bruce Haack in that one. Also still sealed OG J.B's "Doin' It To Death" found at Ave. A Market for $5.00!

Panber's were a Indonesian pop/psych band with some funky breaks here and there. The Fahey has some scuffs and has a bit (not overbearing at all) surface noise, but note the price of .89 cents. My pal has some *ahem* put some gems lurking in his bargain bins!

Glenn Branca/John Giorno. Never seen this one. Again, from my friend's new shop. Note the pretty reasonable price of $13.00, $5.00 on the gamelan record, and $3.00 on the Varese.

12"'s from my local salvo. Clash- Magnificent Dance 12", " Tee Scott/Began Cekic 12", and hot track from Pure Energy called "Spaced-Out".

A record by this guy who utilized objects in a general store in his arrangements. It's "diffeReNt!"

A pretty good texas garage 45 by kit and the outlaws.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    We need to have a "Win a Weekend with Dakar!" contest...

Don't Tread on Me is rugged.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Dakar, looks like you had an, ahem, grand time. Those price tags are a bitch to get off though

• dakar is the king of "finds". And you always let us know how little you paid for them. I used to think dude was full of shit, but not now. Luckiest bastard on here (or maybe dude just knows "where to look"). Props.

actually those price tags are easy to get off. i just left them on their to give props to my pal's new shop.

• M1NYAM1NYA 18 Posts
    Fixing image size from my previous post... is there a way to edit posts in the new board format? I am a tool...

thanks for the props.
    i get the 'grand' pun! i will post more about it in a thread on its own.
    at any rate, a good portion of the finds were from thrifts and fleas for 25 cents-a dollar. actually--some of them were free--as the flea vendor didn't want them. but everything else i mentioned was priced as mentioned.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Fixing image size from my previous post... is there a way to edit posts in the new board format? I am a tool...

Now u gotta go back and find the Waltzes record to get the Axelrod and you're set!!

peace.

• well, not this weekend, but a culmination of 2006's weekend finds...good year for 45s so far